• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Made it to Bemmerland

bpken11

Grinning from ear to ear!
Hi, new member just joining.

About 3 years ago I fell in love after a test ride of a 1200GS. On the test ride from Cliff's BMW in CT I came off a dirt road and a police officer with his sights set on a speeding car came out of his hiding place right in front of me! I grabbed a handful of brake and had my right foot to the ground! The 1200 ABS came on and I stopped with no drama, just straight and smooth! Well, I was one happy guy, since I did not have to take a wrecked demo bike back to the dealer, and from that day on I knew I needed to own that bike. But, being a cheapo, I was just not going to poney up the $18K to get it. Alas, 3 years later BMW had the crazy idea to bring this amazing F800GS to the party. I took one for a ride, and bought it on the spot! I got my ABS and all the cases for less than $14K!

And yes I have been riding the u know what out of it! This thing is so much fun! Great highway manners, flickable in the twisties, and it's pretty good in the dirt too! (yes it really needs knobbies, got stuck a couple of times with the stock rubber, and a lower first gear, I've stalled this bike more in two weeks than I have stalled all my bikes combined in 30 years:banghead, in fact, I don't think I've stalled a bike since I was 14) but it is still a blast! I'll get the hang of that tall first gear yet!

This is my first BMW and I have to tell you, it lives up to the hype. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all, and meeting some folks in NY to ride with.

welcome to the forum! lots of people seem to be enjoying the new 800 GSes.

Welcome! Loving your enthusiasm. It matches my own after almost 30 years on a BMW!

Voni
sMiling

Too bad you couldn't be more excited about the new bike. :dance

Everyone that I have talked to about that bike just rave about it. Congrats on the new ride but the picture is missing. : laugh

Glad to have you hear and look forward to reading some ride reports as you get that new bike dirty.

Welcome:)

I have eyes for that 800GS too, BUT did the GSA1200, 20Grand+ thing and its a major HIT on the purse, indeed:). Probably my lasy one at that price! I've been looking at the 800 a lot, but only a year into my GSA, so it'll wait until I "catch my breath", from the price tag on the GSA:). Happy Trails with yours. Randy:thumb:usa

Thanks

Thanks to all who have greeted me. I uploaded a picture, I have to get a better one, but this should do for now.

Yes, I am very happy with this bike. What I have noticed is that I need to change out this windscreen. I notice that if I lift off the seat about 1.5" that the air is clean.:violin Any one have any ideas, or do you know which forum I should go to for advice?

PolarBear, I hope to own a GSA one day, but this will do just fine for now! Let me know if you ever want to trade!!

I'll be posting my exploits on other fourms soon, like spilling it already! Got stuck in a tire rut on grass, stupid mistake, I need to re-learn how to ride in the dirt and grass again! Thanks again, look forward to meeting some of you some time soon.
Ken

Happy Trails;

Yeah, I'll keep the GSA until I wear "it or me":usa:thumb out a few years from now:). The 800 has windscreen options from several sources, like Parabellum, AeroFlow, Bailey and maybe others. Search for them. The MOA'On Mag has much advertising too, you can use as a source of good info..I ride off road a fair amount on the GSA and wish for the lighter 800GS on many occasions. I suspect its a better off roader than the GSA, at a 100lbs lighter! My GSA1200 goes nearly anywhere buts its work in the really rough stuff. Good luck with yours.....Many of us will be in Tenn. for the Rally. Be there if you want to see thousands of these in one place:). Randy

nationals

I would love to go, but it is the same weekend as the summer national car show up here in Syracuse, and it is an annual event for my father and my son, they look forward to it every year, it's the three generation bonding thing, no way I could upset that apple cart.

I guess I will have to wait till next year! I'm planning on hitting the regional events this year, like the October ride around Hunter Mt. in NY. That is a great area to ride!

Welcome aboard - great bike with great reviews - with the amount of off road riding you do you might consider a second set of wheels!!

Have fun and be safe out there!

Good thinking. I think I am going to get a set of knobbies for it, the stock are great for the street but are lacking for the dirt.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. My son and I will be taking a trek up to Cape Vincent NY Friday. Should be a nice ride. We will spend a couple days up there, hit Alex Bay and ride along the Saint Lawrence.

Happy 4th:usa

Good thinking. I think I am going to get a set of knobbies for it, the stock are great for the street but are lacking for the dirt.

try the continental TKC80s or metzeler karoos. you'll get decent dirt street performance. pure knobbies are not good for pavement and wear very fast.

ian

Thanks Ian, I've heard good things a bout both those tires.

I do have to say the Battlewings have done great in the rain, since that is all I have been riding in lately! I've been riding in the pouring rain hour after hour. I'm going to need to get a larger windscreen if this keeps up!

Welcome Aboard

Welcome Aboard Bpken11 :wave

Just about any technical question you might have about your rides
and
where to take them touring is available here either via the search button
or
by just starting a new thread.

Come back often and post a few pictures.

Give some thought about lunch in Lake Placid for Caroga Lake.

Paul

Love Lake Placid, now about the windscreen

Thanks Paul. I love it up at placid, hopefully I will get up there before the summer ends.

Now, I have been looking at all the forums about windsreen options for this machine. The factory is great off road and fine up to about 55-60,after that it buffets like crazy, I have also found that the bike is a handful on the highway! Cross winds and dirty air just make you feel like a mouse with a cat batting you around for the fun of it! I've never had to work so hard on the highway with a bike, I've taken several 2 hour plus highway rides, and if there is any wind it gives me quite a workout.:violin

Any good links or ideas will be appreciated!

Back