• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1300 GT Shutting Down

mystery gas

Food for thought. Ethonol gas probably is not leaving deposits. The marine issues most encounter are related to old varnish deposits in tanks which the alcohol breaks free and redeposits in other areas. I would be very surprised to see any sludge build up in a 5000 mi throttle body. Alcohol is a great solvent. I personally work with a professional custom engine builder who complains of alcohol in gasoline cleaning engines too much not leaving any lubricating residues which leads to lack of lubrication issues and potential corrosion issues. The worst part of the E85 gasoline is the lower power which equals to higher consumption by volume to equal good old fashion gasoline power.

Now for the stalling. There is no doubt BMW knows more about this than everybody. IMHO what's occuring is a record time response in fuel restriction feed to the throttle body. This new emissions standards which engine builders must comply with causes definite software issues. I have a G650 single electronic Beamer which had stalling issues that felt like they were electronic related. After the last dealer service much less trouble. Seems so much performance is being derived from these small engines that there is always a compromise. :scratch

If you don't like BMW engineering go to HD where a skip is designed in!:wow

1300 Recall

Hi
Has anyone received a formal notice from BMW on the stalling issue?? Through the efforts of the owners and dealers the fix is being completed but I was wondering about a letter from BMW.

Thanks
Don S

14.2 Upgrade Issue

Hi
Had teh 14.2 upgrade done on the bike today. About 20 miles into the ride home the <!> light illuminated. This light indicates low oil so I took the seat off and checked. The oil is fine. The shop asked that I bring it back next week and they will run the computer on it.

Don S
2009 K1300GT

Hi
Had teh 14.2 upgrade done on the bike today. About 20 miles into the ride home the <!> light illuminated. This light indicates low oil so I took the seat off and checked. The oil is fine. The shop asked that I bring it back next week and they will run the computer on it.

Don S
2009 K1300GT

Same here - just waiting for 14.3

Don't sweat it - if you don't set the computer so that it checks the oil - it does not come on - at least that is what I observed. Have only been able to ride the bike 3 times since the update.

On a different note how do you find the driveability as compared to the original software?

Driveability After 14.2

Hi
I have only 40+ miles since the update but a quick assessment "feels" like there is less forward lurch when the engine is decelerating. Let off the throttle and there is a smoother transition to coasting. Very noticeable RPM hesitation at ~1400rpm. I had some slack removed from the throttle and this is also contributing to a much more responsive on-off-on throttling feeling. Top this off with the first oil change using synthetic oil and even the shifting is easier/quieter. All of this with a great big grin from ear to ear until the low oil light came on. Everything just feels smoother. Maybe it's my imagination but that's OK.

Don S

After the Upgrade..

I did about 220 miles yesterday. During this ride I had the first engine stall in five months. Same kind of conditions-decelerating to a stop. Weird thing is that I was at the stop for ~5seconds and didn't realize it had stalled. The computer readout MPG is running about 1 mpg less than before the upgrade.

Don S

Interesting...were there any other unusual conditions at the time? Unusual fuel, etc?...

The only thing that I can think of is it was on a downhill stop. I was following another bike and and we had to do full stops to check traffic. He pulled out and I leaned into it and came up empty. It didn't stall on the remainder of the ride.

Don S

Good thing there wasnt a car behind you anticipating your departure as your friend pulled away. BMW should pay close attention to the civil lawsuits that Toyota is currently dealing with regarding thier engineering flaws. Maybe they will come up with a real fix before another life is taken due to thier inability to maintain thier products.

In this day and age, this type of performance flaw is just not acceptable. At least 30 years ago with carburators and points, you could feel a problem before it just up and died!

Good luck with this issue and be as safe as you can. You may want to park the BMW and take the Harley or Honda instead on that next ride!

Stalling Issues

Actually there was a jeep behind me who let me know that I needed to get going.

I am treating this one stall as an isolated instance. I was really frustrated with the previous stalling issues until I had the throttle bodies cleaned. That action fixed my stalling issues and that is why I waited to have the 14.2 update done. The bike is one super scoot when it is performing properly and I am going to ride it like it is right and treat that stall the other day as one isolated instance.

Don S

14.2 Upgrade.Upgrade

The dealer notified me today that they have received an update for my bike that will fix the "low oil level" light that has come on since the 14.2 upgrade. I didn't ask if this is 14.2.1 or 14.3 or any of that stuff. i will get the new software patch installed on Friday morning and will also try to get a good number for the update.

Don S

The dealer notified me today that they have received an update for my bike that will fix the "low oil level" light that has come on since the 14.2 upgrade. I didn't ask if this is 14.2.1 or 14.3 or any of that stuff. i will get the new software patch installed on Friday morning and will also try to get a good number for the update.

Don S

Please do as i need the same update :dance

Low Oil Light

Unlike the stalling failure, the low oil warning light is not intermittent at all. It is on rock solid as soon as the bike gets warm. Also no way of doing the electronic oil level check. I doubt that you will get the light since it hasn't happened already. This has been my experience. Maybe Luis can comment especially if his experience has been different.

Don S

My occurance for the <!> is when I have the bike computer set to Tire Pressure so that when the bike is stoped it defaults to checking the oil.

Once it has enough time to check it I get the oil warning and it stays there until I shut the bike off for a good while - I shut it off to fuel up and it was back when I started it back up.

When I fired the back up the next day it was gone.

What I have done lately (and when the weather allows me to ride) i set the BC fro temperature reading and i get it. :dunno

Hope that helps

Back