• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1300 GT Shutting Down

Ah, that may be the difference. I don't have the TPM, or for that matter the ESA system on my GT. I have the base version computer, so it always defaults to the oil sensor.

Low Oil Level light

Ah, that may be the difference. I don't have the TPM, or for that matter the ESA system on my GT. I have the base version computer, so it always defaults to the oil sensor.
I do not have the TPM but do have the "low oil level" light.

Don S

Upgrade.Upgrade

No good news at all.

The software "patch" had my VIN number for it's configuration.

The patch did not fix the "low oil level" light problem. The light <!> is still illuminated when the engine is warm.

The dealer was on the phone with BMW but there was no resolution. The dealers are at the mercy of BMW on these warranty issues.

In two more days(2/28) it will be nine full months since I initiated this thread. Seems like we should of made more progress. I think the stalling is fixed but we still have lingering issues with the fix.

The bike runs absolutely great.

Don S

I still have all the basic computer functions such as mpg, miles to empty, temp, etc... I just don't have TPM or any of the "Premium" package stuff...no heated seat either (of course I live in Tampa, although the heated grips have come in handy a time or two this winter, even down here!).

Low Oil Level light

Hi
Took the bike in this morning and the dealer installed a patch to the vehicle order s/w and all is good. The oil ck light now works and the low oil level light does not come on erroneously.
This is quite possibly the end of the trail for my stalling issues and the subsequent fixes.

Don S

K1300 shut down

I purchased my K1300S last memorial day weekend. I stated having stalling issues with it around 400 miles on the odometer. I was told bad gas, use injector cleaner, ect... ( I alwas use the 92 or higher octane, and have been using the injector cleaner as well.) I assumed that there would be a recall and that would solve the issues that the bike had. Now I am not so sure. The bike now has 1000 miles on it. I had the remap/recall done today. I put twenty five miles on it sense the remap, and it has stalled twice. It does not apear to be getting better. This is my first BMW and I love the bike and the clubs, but I deffinately should not be having these kind of problems on a brand new bike.

Shutting down

There has been a recall to this problem however it sounds like the dealer has already attempted to correct the problem with no positive results. Contact the dealer and advise them, if no positive results I would contact another dealership.

The truth is, you shouldnt be having these problems, especially with a premium product such as a BMW. I guess this is one way to get free r&d. Sell a product with intermitten problems and let the consumer finance the r&d to fix it. Great business plan if you can get people to buy into it! :banghead

to Having Fun

I have been monitoring many different sites with regard to this 14.2 software upgrade for the 2009 K1300S and GT. You are the one and only 1300S I have read about that had any issues after this update.

Get it taken care of by a reputable dealer and ride.

shutting down

I just recieved a different recall for my K1300s. Recall NO. 09V-384. This recall is for the directional and starter switches on the handlebars. There could be "micro-cracks " that could result in stalling. I hope that this recall solves my stalling isues since the computer reflash seemed to have made the stalling worse.

Has anyone else had this recall done yet? Has it made a difference?

Thanks for the help.

Jack

Have not seen that one yet. They did replace my left side switch gear with the re-flash but no mention of the right side switch gear on mine. I guess should check into that since the switchgear had obviously not been updated prior to my purchase.

It is hard to believe that these stalling problems still exist. The 1300 series has been out for several months and I still see several people on this site along with a few buddies of mine still dealing with shut downs.

There has to be a point where a defective product is turned in or exchanged to the manufacture, no?:banghead

Well, seems to have been a bit of a long process determining the true issue, assuming they have. Maybe longer than we all think it should have been (a year not just a couple of months), but...TWO official Recalls have now been issued on mine built in April 09 and delivered in Sept 09. The software remap was an official recall, and I just received the official recall for the switch-gear Jack described*. If you have buddies out there still having issues, perhaps you can assure them that the work done under the recalls seem to be addressing the issues now. At least, reading all the other forums on this model, these fixes appear to actually be working.

April 2010
Recall Campaign No. 09V-384, K1300S/GT
"The problem involes the switches on the handlebars for both the direction indicator and the emergency engine-off/engine-start functions. Due to environmental factors such as large changes in temperature and humidity, combined with the electronic material used for the switches, micro-cracks could develop in this material. If this occurred, the switches may not function properly. In some cases, engine stalling could result."

We are all keeping our fingers crossed. Unfortunately for BMW, alot of potential buyers have moved onto other product lines due to the way this shut down issue has been handled. I was considering a K1300 and have decided to purchase another brand. Although I still maintain a R1200S, I leave my long distance travels to a Concours 14.

Maybe I have the one good K1300S?? I've only had three experiences with it stalling out and have over 3,000 miles on the odo. I run mid-grade 89 octane gas, maybe that makes a difference (manual says I can). The three stalls occurred as I was coming to a stop, so I figured it might be my personal riding habits (having slugged along on K1100's until now). I noted I was doing a lot of engine braking and only pulling the clutch lever in fully as I was near a full stop and now I pull it in fully much sooner, reducing the amount of engine braking and applying more real brake. I have the recall sitting on my desk but not so sure I want to bring it in given a) it doesn't seem to fix all the reported problems and b) it could affect my low oil light.

From the FWIW section: Last weekend I had two recalls done: the software update and the front master cylinder. The handlebar switches for that recall are on order as mine failed the test (?!?? works fine AFAIK).

I'm not sure I like the software "solution". They reduced the engine braking to prevent the stalling. I noticed this as I was heading into one of my regular tight right curves, throttling off to lose some speed as I entered the curve, and I wasn't losing my usual amount of speed and entering the turn a little hot. I'm not sure I like this solution... but now that I'm aware of it, I'll just have to adjust. I tested this further by leaving the bike in 2nd gear as I came to a stop. I can get down to about 5 MPH before the engine starts to noticeably struggle and I have to pull the clutch in.

I noticed the same change in the RPM, but that is at a pretty low range, by the time it gets to 1300 rpm, I am no longer in the engine braking mode, so I don't see or feel any effect on that. I guess I have always pulled the clutch in sooner and so I do notice that the revs stay around 1300 for a tad before settling down, I notice no effect on decel on my bike. But then, I went three months without riding it, got the remap done and am jumping on it as if it were new to me. Maybe that helps me adjust? I only have 600 miles since the remap, but I LOVE the way it runs.:dance

Back