• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Relocating to Asheville -- need help

DrSteve

Hello folks,

Last December I posted a brief inquiry about the possibility of leaving Upstate, NY and moving to the Asheville are. My wife and I have visited and fell in love! Several members of this Board kindly and generously offered to help if and when we made the decision.

To make a long story short, we put out home on the market here about 3 weeks ago fully expecting to take a year or more to sell it. The 2nd person to see it bought it, no contingencies, closing on or about August 1!!! We are amazed and grateful.

Here's the scoop: We plan to move to the Asheville area around October 1 and rent a furnished place for up to a year -- to get a feel for the place, check out neighborhoods / communities, decide where to settle and if to buy or build, etc.

We are both professionals -- former educators. My wife is now a potter (as in ceramics) and I have a consulting business that requires me to fly to work, so proximity to the airport is a consideration.

Your advice, recommendations, tips are welcome! I ride a Wee and a Beemer so I plan to post this on the Beemer and Strom sites I frequent.

Thanks in advance!!

Hello folks,

Last December I posted a brief inquiry about the possibility of leaving Upstate, NY and moving to the Asheville are. .................!

Lucky So-and-So, would love to do the same, but too many family roots in western NY to pick up and move.

Great move, enjoy.

Steve, we've been in Asheville since '89. Great little city. Incredible region for outdoor pursuits - including (you know it) - motorcycling.

I'd be glad to fill you in. Can offer you a lead on rentals within a few minutes of the airport (and the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Pisgah National Forest, and ....)

PM me

Steve probably knows a lot more about Asheville than me, since we don't actually live there. We have a place west of town in the next county that we'd like to retire to if we can actually afford to ever retire.

The one thing you might want to check into in the North Carolina tax situation. It's a little stiffer than I might like, they tax the money you take out of your retirement account.

Also, insurance for motorcycles is STEEP! If you ever look at all the various MC insurance companies, none of them do business in NC. You must buy insurance for your bikes through your car insurance company.

As you know, the airport is south of town, and east of there are some very nice communities.

hope this helps.

Ian

Another Yankee transplant . . .

I moved to coastal NC from Skaneateles and although I miss clean lakes and Wegmans I am glad I made the move. Asheville is like NY in that the weather is cooler in summer and there is still some winter.
It is really great to ride year around and North Carolina is a great state.
I hope to see you at the rally.
Campnell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
:thumb

Great place to live

Also, insurance for motorcycles is STEEP! If you ever look at all the various MC insurance companies, none of them do business in NC. You must buy insurance for your bikes through your car insurance company.

True, MC insurance is not great here in North Carolina. I moved here from Virginia 11 years ago. The increase in insurance premiums drove me to find a more reasonable alternative than my auto insurance agent.

I'm insured through a great company in Burlington (in central NC) called Professional Insurance Consultants. If you have rider training, you'll get a break on rates. My agent, Karen Lilly, made sure that I had coverage when I recently bought a new GS even though it was a Saturday and she was checking email from home.

As far as dealers go, you're a bit of a drive from two decent options: Touring Sport in Greenville, SC and Carolina Euro in Greensboro. Both shops are run by riders. I don't think there is a BMW dealer in Asheville yet.

Some friends moved to Black Mountain about five years ago. They love it. It's not far from Asheville, but is still affordable.

Motorcycle Insurance in NC

+1 for Professional Insurance in Burlington. Karen Lilly is my agent also.

I moved all of my insurance (house, cars, boat and motorcycle) to Professional Insurance after State Farm refused to insure my motorcycle. I was with State Farm for over 30 years and had only one accident claim against them.

You can't go wrong with Professional. I have no affiliation with them. I am just a client.

Asheville

Thanks for the information about insurance. We have had State Farm for 30 years also (all vehicles and home) and the rates are very reasonable. We plan to keep and live part of the year in our place in the Adirondacks in NY so I wonder of we will be charged NC rates or NY rates? Anyone have this experience?

I'm sure that would depend on where you have your stuff registered.:dunno

Asheville is a nice place. You may also want to consider weather you will be flying our of Asheville or Charlotte. there may be a big difference in plane ticket $$

Insurance

Hmmm,, well both GEICO and Progressive offer insurance here in NC. I get mine through Allstate, $299 a year for my F650GS and that's full coverage with $250 deductible. Plus that's here in Charlotte which is highest rate category in the state. Before Allstate started offering MC ins I also was with Prof Ins Consultants. I agree, they are super folks. I can also recommand the folks at Carolinaeuro in Greensboro, super folks, and the dealer in Charlotte is really great too.

Anyway welcome to NC. Asheville is a AWSOME city. My daughter went to college there, great place to live.

Back