• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

final drive

M

murfs79

Yes add me to the list of the lucky ones that just lost his final drive. 46k miles did a rear lube oil change every time i did a oil change and still lost my final drive. I have a 1999 K1200Lt anyone know of one thats available?

I lost 2;

My 2001 KLT lost two FDs:(. At 21000 and the dealer caught the second one, during inspection, a few thousand later. My first one failed, me on a trip far from home. UHaul'd it home. Good luck with yours. If you have a dealer do the work, its warrantied another 2 years. Our BMW Dealers are doing this out here. Any work they perform is a 2 year deal:). 800$ was the cost for the rebuild, no gear set and this was 5 years ago. Cycle Specialties BMW of Modesto, CA...:thumb:usa

Strongly suggest you file formal compaints with the NHTSA.

I just finished submitting my experience with the catastrophic failure of the center stand assembly, and it's an easy path to follow on the internet, after which you will be assigned a 'file number' that you can reference to track their investigation, if warranted.

Use: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index.cfm

BMW historically does not acknowledge mechanical defects, quietly fixing some and ignoring others, and spiriting defective parts out of the USA and back to the 'Fatherland.'

But given enough complaints, the NHTSA swings a big stick .....one that can even reach across the Atlantic, all the way to Germany, if necessary!

Last edited:
Well;

I've had many warranty claims with my BMWs and they have stood by every one, no questions(some very major ones too). I HAVE heard of many folks on the other side however! BMW even has done several warranty jobs on some of my previous bikes WAY outside the warranty period. One I had done at 95000 miles at their expense. SO, they do a fair share of "standing up" too. That said, I agree too many questions arise throughout the BMW world and their owners and the company gets a black eye from lack of Public Relations. I've never understood it. German hard headedness maybe? They are a stubborn lot indeed(sometimes)! I've been lucky with most of my dealings with BMW:). More than fair to me. I have yet to see or hear of a positive NTHSB action on a motorcycle company. Must be hush hush? You broke a center stand and went to the NTHSB? Seems like overkill, BUT I'm speaking out of school, not knowing your dealing with BMW. Such a simple problem and they did not fix it?, OR you are upset about the occurance, which seems likely and perhaps very well vented if you got injured, especially! Best of luck. Government action is like the needle in the haystack phenom, as I see it. Hope you weren't injured and YES the design may be weak and need a look see, according to you. I agree:). You'll probably get a ton further, buying a lawyer if needed, at your expense. Thats ugly, I know:(...Randy:usa:thumb

I've had many warranty claims with my BMWs and they have stood by every one, no questions(some very major ones too). I HAVE heard of many folks on the other side however! BMW even has done several warranty jobs on some of my previous bikes WAY outside the warranty period. One I had done at 95000 miles at their expense. SO, they do a fair share of "standing up" too. That said, I agree too many questions arise throughout the BMW world and their owners and the company gets a black eye from lack of Public Relations. I've never understood it. German hard headedness maybe? They are a stubborn lot indeed(sometimes)! I've been lucky with most of my dealings with BMW:). More than fair to me. I have yet to see or hear of a positive NTHSB action on a motorcycle company. Must be hush hush? You broke a center stand and went to the NTHSB? Seems like overkill, BUT I'm speaking out of school, not knowing your dealing with BMW. Such a simple problem and they did not fix it?, OR you are upset about the occurance, which seems likely and perhaps very well vented if you got injured, especially! Best of luck. Government action is like the needle in the haystack phenom, as I see it. Hope you weren't injured and YES the design may be weak and need a look see, according to you. I agree:). You'll probably get a ton further, buying a lawyer if needed, at your expense. Thats ugly, I know:(...Randy:usa:thumb

Thanks for the reply Randy. Just a few points to make, if I may:

1) Look at each month of Motorcycle Consumer News for recalls by the manufacturer, often at the urging of the NHTSA. Usually 3 - 5 per issue.

2) Your experience with BMW mysteriously covering issues long out of warranty is actually part of the problem.......as this keeps a customer both happy and quiet. It also sweeps problems under the proverbial carpet.

3) I've had no problems with BMW covering warranty issues. But many final drive meltdowns occur post-warranty, and from an engineering standpoint, shouldn't be occuring at all.

4) My center-stand didn't merely break..........both bolts sheared off with no prior trauma to the mechanism. I did not get hurt, but two R1200RT deaths in 2008 from the same catastrophic scenario a distinct probability.

Where you and I agree is that BMW suffers from poor PR. They used to have a near-bullet proof reputation as the toughest bikes on the planet. That's getting to be a hard sell these days, given my not so rare laundry list of repairs / recalls / issues.

Ride Safe!

Last edited:
So how does one get BMW to 'mysteriously cover issues long out of warranty' if the dealer won't co-operate?
Some backround here.....
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=37310

As the post says, I discovered oil INSIDE the hub while changing tires. Combined with the wheel vibes (maybe due to the tire, maybe not) the general internet wisdom is this is 'not good'...park the bike until it's fixed/replaced. So I've left the wheel off and cleaned things up a bit...
I went into my local dealer here in Columbus, MOTOHIO, from whom I bought the bike new in May05. I asked about bringing in the FD for them to R&R.
The service rep says they won't touch it till I can bring it in w/ symptoms. .
Basically he wants me to mount the wheel and ride until I can bring the bike in and they can see where the problem is...to 'help them diagnose'.....:scratch
Tom Cutter laughed at this, among other emotions. My FD is in a box ready to send to him. I'm awaiting the results from Blackstone on the oil....
The bike is 1yr and 1month out of warranty..and I guess I'll be paying out the orifice for some major design/manufacturing flaw....

So how does one get BMW to 'mysteriously cover issues long out of warranty' if the dealer won't co-operate?
Some backround here.....
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=37310

As the post says, I discovered oil INSIDE the hub while changing tires. Combined with the wheel vibes (maybe due to the tire, maybe not) the general internet wisdom is this is 'not good'...park the bike until it's fixed/replaced. So I've left the wheel off and cleaned things up a bit...
I went into my local dealer here in Columbus, MOTOHIO, from whom I bought the bike new in May05. I asked about bringing in the FD for them to R&R.
The service rep says they won't touch it till I can bring it in w/ symptoms. .
Basically he wants me to mount the wheel and ride until I can bring the bike in and they can see where the problem is...to 'help them diagnose'.....:scratch
Tom Cutter laughed at this, among other emotions. My FD is in a box ready to send to him. I'm awaiting the results from Blackstone on the oil....
The bike is 1yr and 1month out of warranty..and I guess I'll be paying out the orifice for some major design/manufacturing flaw....

Nothing but sympathy on this end, fellow rider. Sometimes BMW 'covers' the expense of an out-of-warranty repair..........sometimes they do not.

That's what makes it such a 'mystery,' and very frustrating.

They need to redesign / reinforce / retrofit the FD and they needed to do that yesterday.

Hope you're restored to riding status soon. :dunno

Last edited:
Back