• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1300GT starter switch problem

Doktork13

Hi,
I've only had my K1300GT for a month and the starter switch has left me stranded twice! The first time was at another bike dealer (who sells Yamaha and Suzuki). I just went in to get some dirt bike gear and when I came out it wouldn't start. I had to call BMW assisstance and it was quite a site when my new K13 was hauled out of a rival bike shop on a flatbed truck. The BMW dealer replaced the switch with one from another new K bike and it stranded me at work yesterday. I know I'm not the only one with this problem - BMW needs to get this switch right. I will say that support from my BMW dealer has been excellent - no complaints there.
doktork13

Hi,
I've only had my K1300GT for a month and the starter switch has left me stranded twice! The first time was at another bike dealer (who sells Yamaha and Suzuki). I just went in to get some dirt bike gear and when I came out it wouldn't start. I had to call BMW assistance and it was quite a site when my new K13 was hauled out of a rival bike shop on a flatbed truck. The BMW dealer replaced the switch with one from another new K bike and it stranded me at work yesterday. I know I'm not the only one with this problem - BMW needs to get this switch right. I will say that support from my BMW dealer has been excellent - no complaints there.
doktork13

The right switch for the K13S, the model I checked on, has a new part number. Replacing with the old number is likely futile. Have your dealer check the availability of switches for the K13GT (do you have heated grips and heated seat?) and see if there is a new part # switch with your options in the parts supply available.

starter button

Hi Doc, rehash of my post on new members. I have had my k13 for a few months. right after my break in fluid change the info and the four way button wouldn't work. local BMW dealer is aware but all grip and switch parts for the k13 are on national and worlwide backorder! fortunately for me, my problem is not a rideability issue. this is the first year for the new switch layout, I broke my own rule by buying something in it's first year so they can work out the kinks. still glad I made the purchase though, great bike. You will love it once the starter issue is resolved. a couple of rides and you'll forget allll about them. How does it compare to your fjr? quite a rush twisting that throttle eh? scary fast, I can't imagine the k 13r or k10 r. oh and a little hint---if you speed shift from second to third near red line, the front wheel will come off of the ground!! suprised the stuff out of me because I like both wheels on the ground thank you. (and I'm three hundred pounds +)!!:usa

comparison to FJR

Hi gt13rider,
I sold my fjr after a 50-minute test ride on the K13GT. One thing I didn't like about the fjr was turbulence no matter where the windscreen was. I even ordered the taller "touring screen" and it wasn't much better. Wind protection on the fjr seems to be an afterthought to Yamaha, other than that it was a great bike to ride. One other thing I didn't mention about my switch failure in front of the Yamaha dealer was that when we were pushing the K13 onto the flatbed, a guy rolled in on an fjr exactly like the one I'd just traded - he helped me push my bike onto the truck!
Matt (doktork13)

Update on replacement starter switch

Hi, My BMW dealer installed a new starter switch a couple of days ago. The wiring is different (heavier guage) than the first switch on the bike. Apparently any switch manufactured after the end of May is the new type. It was out in the sun for most of the afternoon today and started right away. The problem with the original switch always seemed to be after the bike had been sitting in the sun. I even got it started once by putting a gel ice pack on the switch for 10 minutes, so something was expanding from the heat to cause the problem
Matt

Back