Thread: 1100 GS vs. RS Handling Question

twobits

1100 GS vs. RS Handling Question

Been riding both a 96 1100 GS and a newer 650 GS but now have purchased a 95 1100 RSL from out of state. Only bikes I've ridden are the 1150Rt and the above never a sport bike. Have ridden it a couple of times now and I'm finding the ride quite different from those other bikes. First time out I was quite amazed of the way it steered but after a long ride in over various local roads I have become a little more confident although not nearly so confident as my GS or RT.

Is this something others have experienced as well? The bike has 55k. Thinking of upgrading the shocks and the tires need replacing soon.

Other than that she is fun to ride and quite sporty. Any advice/feedback from other RS owners? Thanks! -- Rob

On the Road
    Rob, you didn't say what condition the tires are in, but a change in them makes a big handling difference. Even a change in the brand of tire fitted makes a big difference in the ride. I would also say at that mileage the stock shocks if still fitted are probably about shot. The aftermarket suspension market offers lots of tweaking possibilities. You may also want to check the paralever bearings and driveline for any slop that may need to be adjusted out or bearings replaced. Most of it is just getting used to your particular bike after coming off a different model.

IN My experience

the basic R (or the Roadster as they are referred to), have a shorter wheel base than the other bikes that you mention, and consequently may feel a bit more twitchy in the corners. However, once you get use to the difference, the Roadster is a wonderful bike.

If you aren't liking the handling, either the stock shocks or the tires maybe worn out.

YMMV
    Enjoying the ride, but always on the alert for a rally.......

Your RS is not a Roadster. (just keepig the record straight)
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

On the Road
    I replaced my stock shocks with a pair of Ohlins and suddenly the bike felt like it was on rails. My confidence level soared and now I feel like the bike handles rain, wind and shine with ease.

My 2 cents. The change in handling was enormous.

Stock shocks are shot and really only springs by about 20,000 miles. So yes, replace the shocks if you plan to keep and ride the bike for any number of years. Ohlins, Wilbers, Hyperpro, Hagon, all make excellant to good replacement, rebuildable shocks that will improve the ride and handling dramatically.

I have been riding my 94 R1100RS since October of 94. Last year I installed Wilbers shocks front and rear. It was the most money I ever spent on the bike, and the BEST money I ever spent on the bike. It handles better now at 140,000 miles than it ever did at 4,000 miles.
    Get trained! The best "performance" upgrade you can get is YOU. Visit msf-usa.org for training info.

twobits
    Looks like new shocks are in this RS's future! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jerryjameson View Post
    I replaced my stock shocks with a pair of Ohlins and suddenly the bike felt like it was on rails. My confidence level soared and now I feel like the bike handles rain, wind and shine with ease.

My 2 cents. The change in handling was enormous.
    happened to me.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots