• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

CANBus Wiring

mcburket

Does anyone know if the CANBus BMWs have VSS (Vehicle Speed Signal) and tachometer signal available. I'm looking at installing an aftermarket cruise control on mine and there isn't much information available on actual CANBus wiring.

Thanks, Mark

John Swiatek is doing a seminar about this at the national rally. Here is his email address, if you want to reach out to him. John Swiatek

I believe if VSS is the signal used to enable dead-reckoning in GPSs that support it (like the BMW Navigator-III) - the answer is - if it has a GPS cable - yes. There is a vehicle speed signal on the GPS connection on R1200XX series bikes.

Dunno on tachometer since I dunno how CanBus obtains the signal - and what your cruise control needs. Many cruise controls used a points type make/break signal to obtain engine RPM. I doubt if that signal is available. Since the newer CanBus bikes use direct ignition coils (stick coils on the plugs) - it might be difficult to obtain a signal from there...

Thank you both for the input. It seems that information about modern electrical systems is somewhat difficult to come by (and I think that may be intentional). General information on CANbus concept and functionality is available, but specific vehicle wiring diagrams seem not to be.

Anyway, this was supposed to be a winter project, so there's no rush. I'll keep digging.

Mark

Thanks jskene, I found the Blue/Green wire on the 3 pin connector. Now I just need to figure out what to do with it. Is this a pulse output? If so, how many pulses per mile? I'm thinking of just adding an external speed sensor, but I would prefer to use the built in one if possible.

Back