• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW gear.....

Hmmm, let's see, what BMW clothing have I ever owned? A couple of hats is all that comes to mind. If I find myself in a BMW shop, I will look at the clothing there and check out quality and pricing. I usually shake my head and say to myself, I can do much better elsewhere. You see, to me, it is all about quality, fit AND price. I do not believe that just because it costs a lot it is the best there is.

When I need some new riding gear, I look around at a lot of different sources. I look for quality in manufacturing, fit and price. In that order. I do NOT buy just because an item has a particular logo (except for those 2 BMW hats). Some of my gear is very old, but because it was high quality when I purchased it, and I took very good care of it, it still is very serviceable.

An example would be my rain gear. Back in 1979 I purchased a brand new BMW R100RT. I knew I needed to get some good rain gear as I was going to be doing a lot of long distance riding that would definitely hit rain. I looked at what was available. BMW had some nice 1 piece suits available at a hefty price. I looked further and found some pretty crappy stuff out there as well. I settled on a Belstaff one piece rain suit that I still have today. Paid approx. 1/4 the price of the BMW suit. The Belstaff suit is still water proof and in good serviceable condition. It does not look all that pretty, but then, I am not a fashion model either. Function is much more important to me.

3 years ago I was looking for a good longer jacket to wear. I again looked at what was available at numerous shops. Checked out what others were wearing and talked to lots of riders. Looked at the BMW stuff and laughed at the exorbitant pricing. Talked the BMW sales staff at a few different shops and they all said that the BMW stuff is the best on the market and that all others had to be replaced every couple of years as it fell apart. Yeah, right, typical sales crap. Went to Yamaha dealer and bought a Joe Rocket jacket that fits me perfectly and does what I want. The jacket I bought is still in great condition and showing no signs of wear.

My custom made Drospo Leathers were made for me one summer when I was in Montreal. Cost me less than the off the rack BMW leathers that were available at the time. The custom made leathers have served me well for many years and as I take good care of them, they look like they will continue to do so for many years to come. They are presently over 15 years old. Again, it was quality over pricing.

Yes, I am "old school". So what? You can't tell me that just because a shirt, jacket or pants has the BMW logo on it makes it any better. Oh, and maybe someone should have a look into who actually makes that BMW clothing. As I recall, BMW is a manufacturer of motor vehicles, not in the textile industry.

I don't go out and buy new gear all the time as when I do buy it, I look for stuff that will last me a long time. I am willing to pay for quality and function, but not willing to pay extra to "look pretty".

Yes, there is the old adage "You get what you pay for", but also remember "A fool and his money, is quickly parted."

I have a Rallye 2 Pro suit and an Airflow 3 suit. They're great gear, but there's no question it's pricey. I've use the Rally 2 on a number of cross-continent rides in all sorts of weather. It worked really well. Is it worth it? I don't really know, but I bought it didn't I?

Hmmm, let's see, what BMW clothing have I ever owned? A couple of hats is all that comes to mind.

So in other words other than a hat no. I feel for ya, just about anything of real high quality is very expensive when you pay in loonies. ;)

To the OP, the opinion of the folks who own the gear is that is has been worth what they paid.

As always YMMV.

robnye,

It is not that I could not afford the pricey BMW Logo gear. It is that I can get equal or better (IMHO) for less. I see no reason to pay more.

For those that like it, great for them.

This all reminds me of a friend that bought herself a Harley. then had to go out and get all the Harley gear, jacket, pants, chaps, gloves, boots, belt, sunglasses, coffee cup, etc. I bet she even got a Harley logo on her bra and panties, not that I want to see that. All because she bought into the Harley image, hook, line and sinker.

Whatever floats your boat.

I have a Rallye 2 jacket that's got gobs of miles on it. I've used it in damn near every kind of weather. It's holding up very well after five or six years (I lost track). When I was shopping for it I was looking for a do everything jacket. At the time, the choice was between a couple brands of inexpensive and clearly lower quality gear, all of which was black, or the BMW stuff. Today there are more choices.

I'd look closely at the Rev'It gear. It's comparable to the BMW stuff in quality and a bit cheaper - though not as cheap as First Gear, Olympia, etc.

I bet I'll have the jacket for another couple years or so. I've got it paired with some Rev'It Dakar pants and am very pleased (and so happy to be rid of those heinously hot Darien pants).

logo no logo

I certainly didn't buy any of my BMW riding clothing because of the logo...and BMW doesn't make their own clothing you're right,but they do make motorcycles and ride motorcycles so they understand our needs and what kind of function we need.BMW sources out the materials and technology to construct design ideas that they themselves much of the time come up with.They were one the first clothing designers trying to make their riding gear safer for the rider.Their clothing is highly visible and extremely padded with not just foam or hard shell plastic but blunt force absorbing materials that remain funtional and comfotable...It's tough to find other clothing where so much thought has gone into it...
I'll bet you most of us commenting here don't own mugs,or tie clips,pens or any of their street clothing etc. and if anything the purchase of a hat with a BMW logo is more image driven than function driven...

BMW Quality

For me, I appreciate being able to buy from a brand known for quality. I bought my first bike, F650Gs, not knowing what to look for in regards to quality. But I felt more confident given BMW's reputation and "discovered" the quality features as I rode and worked on the bike. I guess I am saying that buying a brand known for quality is a safer bet than other approaches when I really do not know what I should be looking for. Reading this forum helps me learn what to look for, and why I spend so much time here.

To all those that buy the BMW gear, and feel that they are getting high end quality gear, and are happy with it as the years and miles roll by, I say, "Good for you. I am happy that you are happy."

To any others that purchase other gear and are happy with that, again I say ""Good for you. I am happy that you are happy."

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and is free to make whatever choice they feel is right for them. You gave yours and I gave mine.

Now let's all just get out and ride. There are places to go, people to see and experiences to be had.

robnye,

It is not that I could not afford the pricey BMW Logo gear. It is that I can get equal or better (IMHO) for less. I see no reason to pay more.

This all reminds me of a friend that bought herself a Harley. then had to go out and get all the Harley gear, jacket, pants, chaps, gloves, boots, belt, sunglasses, coffee cup, etc. I bet she even got a Harley logo on her bra and panties, not that I want to see that. All because she bought into the Harley image, hook, line and sinker.

I didn't mean to imply you couldn't, I was pointing out that most of the Candians I know have a different value calculation. I always thought it was due to a lot of imports into North America being scaled to the USD and that you got a bit of a raw deal.

FWIW, Chace and I have a room we have dubbed the "Adventure Room". It has two rolling coat racks of riding gear from at least five different manufacturers. I still have all the gear I've ever purchased and amazing enoug it still fits. :laugh The BMW stuff is not always the first choice but it does get the most use.

robnye,

Don't confuse drinking the kool aid with having a different definition of value. I don't like to waste my money, but for the riding I do, the BMW stuff works very well and is worth the cash I've dropped on it.

Same with my 'stich. The current one is about 8 years old and just keeps going. It wasn't cheap at purchase, but value for me is defined by functionality, durability and protection balanced against cost over time.

It's interesting that you haven't ever owned any BMW stuff but feel free to make judgements about their efficacy.

Just because I have not owned something does not mean I cannot have an opinion about it. I know many people that have purchased BMW gear and love it, while others have tried it and found that it did not last or work any better than lesser priced gear. Maybe I am just too practical and would rather spend the extra cash on other things that are more important to me.

When I bought my Belstaff gear, I could have purchased BMW gear for quite a substantially higher price. one of my friends did. I still use that same Belstaff gear, 30 years later. My friend replaced his BMW gear about 20 years ago....with Belstaff.

For your information, Belstaff was making motorcycle gear long before BMW ever did. They started making waterproof clothing in 1924 and have made gear specifically for motorcycling at that time. They have gone through many changes over the years, stopped selling to North America for a while, but they are still in business. Still making quality gear for reasonable prices.

When I bought my last Joe Rocket riding jacket, BMW had a similar one for about twice the price. I could not substantiate the extra cost when comparing the two. Both would do the exact same job and both were just as comfortable in the store and fit about the same. I saw no reason to pay the higher price. From my now 4 years with the Joe Rocket jacket, I see no wear on it other than it is now even more comfortable as it now seems to have formed to my body. I am certain that the BMW jacket would have done the same.

So, if all things are basically equal, I see no reason to pay 2-3 times the price just because it comes from the BMW store. Pricing for BMW stuff in Canada is really very crazy.

And the most comfortable gear I have is 30 year old leathers that I had custom made. Surprisingly, they still fit. The company that made them is still in business as well. If I ever feel I need to replace them, I will go back to Montreal and have another set made.

you rule

Hey Dave i didn't realize that you were Canadian...good for you! I live about two hours from the border and visit and ride there as much as i can. To tell you the honest truth i have never met a Canadian i didn't like....you guys are so down to earth,real,friendly,caring and generally easy to get along with...Your cities are clean safe and enjoyable to visit and the woman are all so hot...Take care and if you are ever touring the north eastern part of the U.S. drop me a line..

Michael

I have the Tourance jacket. Great fit and really well made. I've been considering buying more gear used since a lot of riders change out their gear well before the stuff is worn. Some is even new with tags (NWT) because they ordered it online and can't/won't return it. Check the classifieds here and on other forums. There is a ton of it out there. You can save about 30-40% in most ads.

Just because I have not owned something does not mean I cannot have an opinion about it. I know many people that have purchased BMW gear and love it, while others have tried it and found that it did not last or work any better than lesser priced gear. Maybe I am just too practical and would rather spend the extra cash on other things that are more important to me.

When I bought my Belstaff gear, I could have purchased BMW gear for quite a substantially higher price. one of my friends did. I still use that same Belstaff gear, 30 years later. My friend replaced his BMW gear about 20 years ago....with Belstaff.

For your information, Belstaff was making motorcycle gear long before BMW ever did. They started making waterproof clothing in 1924 and have made gear specifically for motorcycling at that time. They have gone through many changes over the years, stopped selling to North America for a while, but they are still in business. Still making quality gear for reasonable prices.

When I bought my last Joe Rocket riding jacket, BMW had a similar one for about twice the price. I could not substantiate the extra cost when comparing the two. Both would do the exact same job and both were just as comfortable in the store and fit about the same. I saw no reason to pay the higher price. From my now 4 years with the Joe Rocket jacket, I see no wear on it other than it is now even more comfortable as it now seems to have formed to my body. I am certain that the BMW jacket would have done the same.
So, if all things are basically equal, I see no reason to pay 2-3 times the price just because it comes from the BMW store. Pricing for BMW stuff in Canada is really very crazy.

And the most comfortable gear I have is 30 year old leathers that I had custom made. Surprisingly, they still fit. The company that made them is still in business as well. If I ever feel I need to replace them, I will go back to Montreal and have another set made.

I have had just the opposite experience as you. I have owned 3 Joe Rocket mesh jackets. They all looked killer when new and they were priced right. After about 1 to 1.5 years they all did the same. The thread started to wear and unravel and they started to look cheap and like crap. I do not mind something looking worn or used and in fact I like that look, but thread unraveling, no . I also bought a Joe Rocket balistic jacket that looked great and the price was right. That thing however never did right. It would balloon up, was scratchy around the neck and just never felt good so I almost never wore it and finally gave it away. IMHO the Rocket gear I purchased for me and the wife, a total of 7 jackets, were made to a price and quality was not part of the plan. 2 years ago we bought a BMW venting machine jacket and have ridden as much with this 1 jacket as all of my Rocket gear put together. Yes it looks used and has so many bug guts on it that they won't all come out. BUT IT IS still quality and will last many more years. I also bought some olympia gear and it is much better than the rocket stuff and have been wearing it ( the AST jacket and ranger pants) for 3 years with more to come. Not sure why your rocket gear was so much better than mine but mine was budget priced and poor quailty and overall a low value.

Last edited:
Don't confuse drinking the kool aid with having a different definition of value. I don't like to waste my money, but for the riding I do, the BMW stuff works very well and is worth the cash I've dropped on it.

Same with my 'stich. The current one is about 8 years old and just keeps going. It wasn't cheap at purchase, but value for me is defined by functionality, durability and protection balanced against cost over time.

It's interesting that you haven't ever owned any BMW stuff but feel free to make judgements about their efficacy.
+1, Darien is 7 years old and gets used in the spring and fall and a Airflow 3 for the summer months. Quality stuff that I felt just fine spending the cash on!

:thumb

Hmmm, let's see, what BMW clothing have I ever owned? A couple of hats is all that comes to mind...

... So what? You can't tell me that just because a shirt, jacket or pants has the BMW logo on it makes it any better. Oh, and maybe someone should have a look into who actually makes that BMW clothing. As I recall, BMW is a manufacturer of motor vehicles, not in the textile industry. ...

It's not for the BMW logo. it's a known fact that BMW make the best HATS in the world.
:rofl

Back