• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

BMW gear.....

xp8103

The way she described it, you'd think that the jacket would do everything including drive your bike for you. Materials developed by NASA for use in space suits she said. Never need to buy another jacket. Can go from hot hot to cold cold. Has customers in Florida that say they won't ride without it.
I used to sell First Gear. It's an inferior product to this she said. With other products you need cold weather gear and warm weather gear. With this, you don't she said.

All to justify the $550+ cost of the item.

Worth it? Anyone wearing it?

Which BMW gear? Of all the gear I've had I find the best for me bas been my Roadcrafter suit, my Darien, and my BMW R2P. The Rally 2 Pro replaced the Darien as it is better for me when it is hot.

None of those are cheap. All have held up well in minor get-offs.

Which BMW gear? Of all the gear I've had I find the best for me bas been my Roadcrafter suit, my Darien, and my BMW R2P. The Rally 2 Pro replaced the Darien as it is better for me when it is hot.

None of those are cheap. All have held up well in minor get-offs.

Off the top of my head I recall it was the Santiago jacket.

Both my wife and I have Santiago suits and we like them.
We use them year round. In the winter we keep the Gore-tex liners in and have Gerbings heated liners under the jacket.
In the summer we take the liners out and open the vents and if its going over the mid 90's we use a cool vest soaked with water, thats in the western states.
In the eastern states cool vests don't work.

My brother has the Santiago and likes it a lot. He will wear it over his HD leather vest (rare: only the buttons have the HD logo) covering his Triumph T-shirt while cruising down the road on his Honda ST1300.

The ultimate gear

I don't think it is the Santiago jacket. This is brand new and it is receiving rav reviews. Great in hot and equally great in cold. The jacket I looked at was pushing $700.00 dollars. It is BMW gear. The one I looked at was two color red. Really cool jacket but $700.00 is lots. Worth checking out if you have more money today than what you need. The jacket just is a little lower than your waist and it is form fitting.

Bmw gear

I looked the jacket up and it is the new line of BMW gear called Comfort Shell Jackets. They are really beautiful and top quality but at $749.00 for the jacket, style and function" costs lots". Beautiful stuff, though.

The BMW stuff has BMW prices. Fact of life. But it is well made and thought out. I had a Savannah II jacket for several years. The venting was good, it was waterproof with the liner in, it came in suit sizes so it was the best fitting jacket I've owned.

Santiago here

I have the Jacket and Pants. Best stuff I've ever owner. Very comfortable up to the mid-80s for me but I am behind an RT barn door so I suspect anything would be pretty warm. I was a lot hotter when I rode with my AST.

I paid a bunch for my jacket and pant (Motoport). I am happy with the purchase. It works great in cold weather and when it is 90 I melt at the stop light but once I get rolling I'm good.

Of the higher end brands of outer wear I think it is the same argument as dino vs synth oil.:fight (I think they're all good) if it fits you body.

I only wish the Beemer or Ruka stuff fit my wallet because they sure look nice!!

But, the cost of this stuff even for what I bought? I'll bet there is less than $70 of material, less than $50 in labor and $50 in overhead for my $800 jacket and pant. Is it worth the price??? errrr uhhhh hmmm..... sort of :whistle

And my Icon gloves at $55.00?? = material $2.00, Chinese labor and shipping per pair $2.00, marketing $10 per pair. Is it worth the price??? errrr uhhhh hmmm..... sort of :whistle

I highly doubt that any brand of clothing uses only US:usa or European:german labor so I think you would be hard pressed to convince me that the price is really justified.

But, stlye costs money too.

Tina has a Comfort Shell jacket. It wasn't cheap, but it's probably the best piece of gear she's ever owned. It wasn't cheap, but it fit her well (when she was larger), worked in temps from the 40s to the low 100s, was waterproof and it actually let her look like a girl. It's got a full complement of armor, including the widest and most comprehensive back protector I've seen outside of race leathers.

I've got a Savannah II and it's an amazing piece of gear. Waterproof (with the liners), fits well, has pockets that work for riding. The venting was terrific and it held up well. Full armor, tons of reflective area and style that wasn't hideous, but still noticeable in traffic.

The biggest issue with BMW gear? It seems like the zipper pull on the big zipper always gives it up at some point. My Savannah has a zip tie on the main zipper. :ha

It's great gear and worth the money.

I'm trying to sell some of my old gear to buy a red Comfort Shell set up.

The only BMW gear I can afford is the "free" AirFlow 3 I got when I bought my RT. Ooops! I forgot about the one-piece rain suit I got for $99, now it's close to $125.

Ride safe everyone and keep the rubber down.
Rich

The way she described it, you'd think that the jacket would do everything including drive your bike for you. Materials developed by NASA for use in space suits she said. Never need to buy another jacket. Can go from hot hot to cold cold. Has customers in Florida that say they won't ride without it.
I used to sell First Gear. It's an inferior product to this she said. With other products you need cold weather gear and warm weather gear. With this, you don't she said.

Sounds like you got mugged by Rose :whistle :laugh

I had a Marrakesh suit a number of years ago and it saved my hyde in a get off.

I have a four year old Rally 2 that is very nice but getting a little long in the tooth.

BMW boots are the only truly dry boots I've ever owned.

Aerostich makes great stuff but it is hot n heavy.

I would say that both Aerostich and the BMW gear are worth what you pay. If I am spending the entire day on the bike I'd rather wear the BMW gear. If I'm going 1k on the slab I'd rather wear the Aerostich.

You have asked a very simple question to which you have been given some answers.
The simplest answer to your question "Is it worth it."

IMHO NO! It is not worth it. Unless you like to spend money to look pretty.

You have asked a very simple question to which you have been given some answers.
The simplest answer to your question "Is it worth it."

What BMW Gear have you owned and why do you feel it wasn't worth the price?

Comfort Shell

In summer I wear it with a T shirt. In winter with a Gerbing. I've stayed warm in winter, cool, or at least as cool as anything else I've had, in Eastern and Western heat, and most of all I've stayed drier than anything else I've ever owned. On an 800 mile day at 40* and an all day rain I like that a whole lot. I have about 40k on the suit. Oh yea, I broke off the main zipper pull, a dealer replaced it for free in about 5 minutes. I had put a split ring on it which a salesman noticed and offered to repair it.

I had a minor get off and abraded the left knee a bit, didn't feel a thing at the scene or later. Fits great and the flexibility feels like I'm wearing a mesh suit. At the same time it feels like and is very well armored. Price? Much less than I spend on tires in a year.The jacket zipps together with the pants, is shorter in front and longer in the back and doesn't bunch up in front like a rally length does. By the way, it does all this stuff with no liners. No stopping when it turns very, very gray.

past suits: Darien top and bottom
First Gear Air mesh top and bottom.
First Gear Kilimanjaro and HT overpants
Jeans and leather on Harleys in the 70's :ha

:bikes

Which, of course, is the same thing you did when you bought a BMW motorcycle.

If you bought the bike simply for function, well BMW rider wear is that, too.

Cheap rider wear on a BMW is a bit like the Caddy in front of the mobile home, no?

I have a Rally Pro 2 suit and I love, and it was worth the price. It is the most comfortable suit I've worn (compared to a Darien Jacket, Joe Rocket Alter Ego mesh jacket and pants, and Motoport kevlar suit). I've tried many other brands with little success in finding pants that fit me. Most BWM pants don't fit me properly. But, the Rally Pro 2 pants did. So, for me, it's well worth the money.

Most important (in my books) is to find good gear that fits properly. A $550 item that fits properly is a better buy than a $300 item with a poor fit.

Anything you buy specifically for motorcycles is way overpriced and anything with the BMW logo is incredibly overpriced - a fact of biker life! :burnout

you pay for what you get...

I bought my first BMW full two piece suit back in the 80's. It cost me 800.00 bucks which at the time was hard to afford and seemed out rages...but almost 25 years later i just handed it down to my son in perfect working order...I would now say that was a great value.Lets face it everything is expensive these days...
I tour,sport ride and dual sport so it's hard to cover all the bases with just one suit.For dual sporting and dirt i use a fox jacket with water proof breathable thor pants,the whole set up cost me 250.00 bucks and i expect to get at least five years or more out of them,because they take a lot of abuse...
I bought an Atlantis 3 suit a few years back from BMW and thought 1600.00 dollars was crazy,but i love it ,The older it gets the better it looks and feels...and the leather offers incredible protection along with the high tech pads...and it's water proof and breathable but leaks at the seams without the gore tex liner.The liner is a pain in the butt.But the new Atlantis 4 suit has heat tape sealed seams and is completely water proof and needs no liner...
On my K1200s i find these suits to work well throughout the whole riding season here in Vermont.In the summer i wear a high moisture transfering tee under...and in the fall until snow i wear heated liner. I've ridden in temps as low as the teens with comfort...
Now that i own an R1200rt also, i find the jacket to be too warm on the hot summer days...
I read about the new BMW comfort suit last summer and it seemed too good to be true...high tech materials that allow air through when it's hot and not rain and seals up when cold or raining and yet always allows moisture out!! pretty remarkable if it works. 1300.00 dollars again seemed like a lot of money,luckily my local dealer gives me 10% off on special orders. Well at first i didn't think it was so "comfortable" the collar rubbed my neck and i expected more warmth. It seemed too breathable in the early morning and evening temps...with the Atlantis suit i never needed to wear any insulation under until temps really dropped. Over time i learned that while using the Comfort suit i had to be prepared to insulate...now that i've accepted that, the suit works perfectly, i really love it and it offers ultimate protection. Until i used extensively in the rain i always carried a rain suit,but it has proven to keep me completely dry no matter what...I no longer carry a rain suit if i'm wearing the Comfort suit...IT'S GREAT!!! Not having to wonder if you should put your rain suit on as the skies darken or as the few drops start to fall...How many times have you put on your rain suit only to have to take it off again because it ended up only being a sprinkle or no rain at all. And rain suits are like being in a sauna, the comfort suit isn't.
Just remember it's really only a shell and you have to acheive your comfort by what you wear under it....
I say buy it if you're in the market for a new suit...that's my two cents or three or four...
See Ya at the rally michael

Back