Thread: Dunlop Road Masters

Maccycle

Dunlop Road Smarts

After much deliberation, I just replaced the worn out Metzler Z6s on my RT with Dunlop Road Smarts. I just returned from a 300 mile jaunt through the beautiful countryside of Texas and I must say I am impressed with their performance. They are by far the smoothest riding tires I have ever had on a bike. They stick like glue in the twisties and track very well at triple digit speeds. I'll continue to post as the miles add up since there does not seem to be much history on these tires. I am curious how they will handle in the rain and how they will wear. As of right now I'm a "happy camper."

Mac
    Last edited by Maccycle; 06-21-2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Correct title

warredon
    Quote Originally Posted by Maccycle View Post
    After much deliberation, I just replaced the worn out Metzler Z6s on my RT with Dunlop Road Masters. I just returned from a 300 mile jaunt through the beautiful countryside of Texas and I must say I am impressed with their performance. They are by far the smoothest riding tires I have ever had on a bike. They stick like glue in the twisties and track very well at triple digit speeds. I'll continue to post as the miles add up since there does not seem to be much history on these tires. I am curious how they will handle in the rain and how they will wear. As of right now I'm a "happy camper."

Mac
    Do you mean Dunlop RoadSmart?

Maccycle
    Yes

I ordered a pair of Dunlap RoadSmart tires from BikeBandit on sale + an AMA discount, to replace near worn Michelin Pilot Power ones, and I should have Monday to Wednesday of next week. I am looking forward to riding them to the Rally and back in a 4K round trip week or so.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Very good tires - I had them as the orginal tires - changed them out at 9K.

The rear had lots of life (1/3 of distance to wear bar) but was squared off and the front was just starting to cup.

I think I could have gotten 12K out of them - but that is dependent on how/where you ride.

YMMV

You may want to try Pilot 2's as your next tire choice - I am happy with those two.

Can't really go wrong with either
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

RSPENNACHIO
    I have the previous model called the Sportmax on my bike now. I just pulled the trigger and ordered the RoadSmart front and rear from Dennis Kirk.

180/55/17 = $141.00 (that includes the $5 for shipping)
    120/70/17 = $113.00 (that includes the $5 for shipping)

I found a local guy who will mount and balance for $20 per wheel (not on the bike).

I think that's a pretty good deal.

Look out curvey roads cause here I come!
    Last edited by rspennachio; 06-22-2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: grammer

Just order a new set of Road Pilot 2's. They're more expensive then the Z6's or the Road Smart but I get +or- 9k out of a set and they are incredibly stable in the rain.

WDaigle
    I just installed a new set of PR IIs on my 1200RT. I had 13,000 miles on them with at least another 1500 left but wanted to change them out before going to Johnson City. Great tires IMHO and well worth the money.

rglassma
    I'm on my second set of roadsmarts.. I like them though I am not getting the mileage here in Colorado that you guys are.

The price here at a local shop is very reasonable... Last set I got with rim mount and balance came to 287.00 with tax, shop fees, etc. for my '05 RT..

Only other tires I have had on the bike are Pilot Roads. Getting around the same wear.. But the road smarts handle like a dream and are cost a bit less.

Unhappy Roadsmart

I just wore out my Roadsmarts. They were very sticky and handled well. But they were soon at the wear bars. Previous tires were

1) Metzeler Z-6 10,259 miles (wore to steel belts)
    2) Michelin Pilot Road 7,257 (wore to wear bars
    3) Pirelli Diablo Strada, 7,968 (wore to steel belts and left me stranded with a flat)
    4) Dunlop Roadsmarts, 5,948 (wore to wear bars)

I know the Metzelers and Pirelli tires have the wear bars, but they are difficult to see, and the steel cords caught me by surprise. I am going to try Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires this time, in spite of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by aboening View Post
    ........ I am going to try Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires this time, in spite of the cost.

Welcome to the forum aboening!

I went to PR2's and am quite happy - they may cost more, but from a personal perspective I like these the best.

Give us a ride report on them after you break them in.
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Aboening,

I am so glad to read your post. As a pre-Rally run in an expected 4500-5000 mile round trip, Roadsmarts are going on my bike today. I like sticky tires that handle well.

And for me, if they are too soon at the wear bars, as long as it is over 4K miles, that's OK. My Pilot Power tires have 4568 miles on them and the wear bars show maybe another 500-1000 miles on the rear tire. The existing tires would not make it to Tn (nevermind back, too), and if the Roadsmarts need to be replaced when I get home from Tn, so be it.

I had Pilot Road 2's on my last bike, an F800S. There's a rider at the F800 forum that says his slip and skid in sharp corners and that was my experience, as well. I'd do Pilot Power 2's before Pilot Road 2's, but the PP2's will not last long. Good rubber never does.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog