• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Smoother engine/Valve adjust:)

Polarbear

Polarbear
GSA1200'07 here and at 33000 miles. I just did another valve adjust to mine and have done all of them since new. Geting ready for Tennessee. My engine was running pretty darn good, but I figured I'd do a check on the valves before the cross country jaunt to the Rally. With nearly every check on my valves, I've had to "Slightly" loosen the two front lower exhaust valves, back to .012, as they had ever so slightly tightened. I still could get a .012 feeler in there but it was hard. FYI, the adjust is actually "noticable", resulting in a smoother engine indeed:). My point! It does not take much to change how the engine runs, with these new engines. I thought it was running perfect before, now it is really running perfect, so smooth:), nearing my K bikes smoothness of the past. For a twin, thats saying a lot! Check yours for some ever so slight adjustments, if needed. randy:usa:thumb

Good point Randy.. I intend to go over mine before I leave for TN.. and if no one has ever correctly set the rocker arm endplay - this also will make a major difference in how smooth the bike is. It usually only needs doing once - but most mechanics just check that it's within spec (which is a very wide spec..) and consider that good enough. Getting it right - at the low end of spec makes a big difference in engine vibration and noise.

See the Hexhead tech section for a good writeup by SemperFi.

Hey guys, I'm brand new to doing my own service on my R1200RT 05, I did my first valve adjustment and it made a big difference. Scared me to death I was going cost me more money after I fouled it up. But I think I did notice that the one rocker arm had more play on it ( I think intake ). Is this something I should mess with or take it to shop. I does have more vibration than I was hoping for.

Hey Deilenberger -

I was looking over SemperFi's article on the valve adjustment and where it discusses rocker arm end play, it's not terribly descriptive about exactly what you have to loosen up in order to be able to tap it into spec. Is it just completely obvious when you get in there as to which bolts are controlling that clearance, or is there any clarification that can be made? I'm not afraid of doing my own valve adjustments, but my bike's pretty new and the dealer did the 600 mile run-in check, and I'm only about halfway to the 6k, so I haven't really had occasion to open it up myself yet.

Thanks!

I've not even looked at mine;

Rocker end play is something I worry about on my old R100/7, but my new GSA1200, I don't even look at it! I check the valves, thats it:). The head bolts are only supposed to loosened once at the 600 mile service and I let the dealer do that one. Done 'em all since myself. I'm pretty sure the rocker play would have to have the head nuts loosened and its not supposed to be done again after the 600? Anyhow, mine is so near perfect, I cannot even imagine it getting better or smoother. Another point, is the rocker end plays(too tight) on the older airheads would definately affect the idle of those engines and a tell tale sign somethings wrong! My 1200 shows no sign of tight rockers. Randy PS;use two feeler gauges as you check these new engines valve clearances. Do both at the same time, each side, exhaust2 and intakes2...Its how I was told:)

The rocker arm endplay DOES make a difference. As good as your bike may feel now - if there is excessive endplay in a rocker - you're getting noise and vibration that can be eliminated.

My rule of thumb is - with the rocker in a valve adjusting position - I try moving the rocker up/down. If I hear a soft "click" - it's fine.. near the lower end of the spec. If I hear a "klack" - it needs adjusting.

I think SemperFi's writeup is as clear as one could make it - he highlights the bolts and the one nut that have to be loosened (and then retorqued). One head bolt is loosened - and it should only have to be done once (and retorqued once.) This is supposed to be part of the 600 mile service - but so far - counting R11's I've done, I have never found one that I'd consider done right. Most of them are at the far end of the specification (wide.)

And yes - it could be a problem if you overtighten them - but remember to listen for the "click" (which you can also feel in the rocker when you do it) and you'll be just fine. When I did my R12R - the mirrors on it went from being decorative blurry things to useful mirrors.

YMMV - but when seeking perfection, I doubt if it will much.. :bikes

Hey Deilenberger -

I was looking over SemperFi's article on the valve adjustment and where it discusses rocker arm end play, it's not terribly descriptive about exactly what you have to loosen up in order to be able to tap it into spec.......

Andrew - Can you please point out where it is not terribly desciptive about how to adjust the rocker end play.

I want to ensure that the information is being presented in a clear, intelligible manner.

Gladly will modify for clarity.

Luis

I see now I was looking in the wrong place. You have a whole article there on rocker end play adjustment! No more questions from me. :)

It can be done,but:

Every time after the 600 service, you loosen the studs, you threaten the integrity of them and they can pull loose. I've had two 1100's that did it in the earlier years,'95 and '96..., pulled the threads right out of the block and its always the lower front ones that fail! Its a big job to fix, so know this, loosening your heads. Its not something taken lightly in BMW shops. Of course the rockers are an obvious concern and should be looked at, but I will not loosen my heads again after the above happened to me, without some very serious concern my rockers are too tight. I WILL look close the next time in:). Thanks Randy

Randy,
Hoping that is one area that was improved with the Hexheads! I cringe when angle torquing the oilheads at times for sure. Have had great luck on all so far, but the stories are always in my head....saying" BE Careful!"

The young mechanics at most dealers make me check everything after they do the 600 service. Not about youth more than experience and shop hours average they need to meet. I have found two cases of them not checking or maybe an honest overly wide setting on the rocker arms on two newer Hexheads.

Randy - no argument.. which is why I suggest it only be done once. Or not at all if it was done correctly at the 600 mile service.

Back