• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

XR7LDC- What is this spark plug?

Ridealot

Lifetime Member
The story,
In January I bought a '93 K1100LT that had just been serviced by BMW of Denver. The previous owner gave my all the service records. They have Bosch XR7LDC listed as the plug they installed. The stock plug is a XR5DC.
I looked in a Bosch spark plug catalog and I can't find the XR7LDC listed. I pulled one out of the bike and looked at it. It is a dual electrode plug.
Does anyone know anything about these plugs? Are they O.K. to run in a K11? They have been in the bike all summer for about 8k miles without a problem. I did notice that cylinder #3 is running leaner than the others. I don't think I ever noticed that on my old K100.
Any info on what the heck these plugs are for will be appreciated.
Tom
Salem Or.

The Bosch XR7LDC is also used in the K1200LT and is all but impossible to find. Many have switched to the Splitfire #TP416D with great success. (works great in my K1200LT)

Thanks for the info. At least now I know that it is a plug for the later K bikes.
I am also wondering if anyone has found a car parts store that has been willing to order the stock Bosch X5DC plugs?
I find it hard to believe that the local BMW shop wants just a few pennies less than $40 for 4 normal spark plugs. This just seems to be about four times what they should cost.
Has anyone found a reasonabley priced online site for buying plugs?

ride-a-lot said:
Thanks for the info. At least now I know that it is a plug for the later K bikes.
I am also wondering if anyone has found a car parts store that has been willing to order the stock Bosch X5DC plugs?
I find it hard to believe that the local BMW shop wants just a few pennies less than $40 for 4 normal spark plugs. This just seems to be about four times what they should cost.
Has anyone found a reasonabley priced online site for buying plugs?

The X5DC plug was used on a few BMW cars, such as the first M3 series (late '80's vintage) so it's not that hard to find. Usually costs about $3-4/per. Last a LONG time - if you keep an eye on the gap, good for 25,000 miles easily.

Best,

Here is the story on Bosch plugs...

Attachments

• designationcodes.gif
    designationcodes.gif
    117.7 KB · Views: 160
Nice graph on the Bosch plugs. After looking at it I am going to change the plugs on my bike. The XR7LDC are two heat ranges to high for my bike. When I inspected them they all looked like they where on the lean side. Cylinder #3 was noticabley leaner than the others which looked the same.
I'm going to save that graph for future use.
Thanks
Tom Salem Or.

Back