• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tents

J

JOHNDIAKONIS

I'm trying my best to get to the National this year and I'm confused about tents. Can anyone tell me what kind of tent you have and how you like it? I'm leaning towards the Eureka Apeks? for the features. Something easy to set up,etc. While we're at it what else do I need to have ? Everyone seems to like the Thermarest.Any suggestions? I don't want to pack the kitchen sink my first time out. Thanks, John

John said:
I'm trying my best to get to the National this year and I'm confused about tents. Can anyone tell me what kind of tent you have and how you like it? I'm leaning towards the Eureka Apeks? for the features. Something easy to set up,etc. While we're at it what else do I need to have ? Everyone seems to like the Thermarest.Any suggestions? I don't want to pack the kitchen sink my first time out. Thanks, John

We have one of these:

0113m.jpg

It's a Mountain Hardwear Skyview 3. It's totally bombproof.

As far as mattresses go, we have a $20 inflatable double sized airmattress we bought at Kmart or something. I've got a $6 Walmart 12V airpump I put a BMW accessory outlet on.

campingrus_1735_12474543

It's not right when the weather is cold, but when it's hot, it's very, very nice. It's like sleeping in my own bed. :snore

campingrus_1735_23516706

You can stuff the whole thing in one of these:

670392.jpg

Any waterproof canoe bag will work, just make sure the tent poles will fit in the bag.

I was able to google most of this stuff up in about two minutes, so I know you can buy it cheaply online.

Have fun!

I finally had to get a new tent last year, my 15 year old one just plain wore out (gee I only used it a few hundred times). I bought a Kelty Cyclone 3 on sale (still expensive). It is a 3 person tent (2 really) and it has an entrance on both sides which makes it easier to get in and out of. It has a full fly for rain protection and has a vestibule enclosure on each entrance where boots helmets and such can reside. It is very solid in the wind as the fly has clips that secure it firmly to the tent and the guy lines secure to those. This was not really a big deal for me, but everything else was.

-Lots of room for two
-Good weather protection
-Easy entry/egress
-Extra space for all the motorcyle gear.

There are lots of good tents on the market, just don't cheap out. Go to a good outdoors shop and ask for help. They should have the tents set up for you to see, or be willing to do so.

Re: Re: Tents

KBasa said:
We have one of these:

0113m.jpg

It's a Mountain Hardwear Skyview 3. It's totally bombproof.

I second that,,
I love mine,,the sell ...i thing 3 different versions one ,two and three persons,,the vestivule is fantastic,the over head a catedral.

one I don't like is that they use to many tubes and is 3 different types,,so you need to remenber what colors go were .and if is a night becomes more complicated..
after a few erctions you remenber and Is not a issue anymore..

I swear by a thermorest. I've had air matresses before and (in my opinion) the thermosrest is the way to go. If you need total comfort put the thermorest on top of one of those little cots.

If you don't want to spend too much money you can get a Coleman tent for under $50 at most department stores. I did that years ago. If you want a quality tent look no further than Eureka. They have many designs. I have a very small bivy. It really is too small. They make a larger one that would be OK. There are many designs to chose from. For solo the "half dome" style is good or the Timberline "A-frame" The larger ones are bigger and weight more just because of the extra material and poles. They even have a new waterproof, flyless design, nice!

Also, a self standing tent, like a dome, is easy to move around and OK on hard surfaces but it takes longer to set up. With the exception of the type with clips instead of sleeves, like KBasa posted. Check out the Eureka website, they often sell closeouts, returns and repairs at a discount.

Whatever you get remember to get 2 water proof ground cloths. One for under and one for inside and make sure the ground cloth under the tent is smaller than the tent's footprint.

MarkF

P.S. Do it right and you love camping. If you don't you'll hate it. I slept out in a very small tent in the rain many times and still love it!

Last edited:
So the most important features are:

- A vestibule, to hold your bags, tank bag, etc. out of the weather and site

- A size big enough to take you and a friend/spouse if you have one. Extra room inside for your clothing bags, and helmet & riding gear if it is crappy out. You want one with a matching ground cover, or cut one to size.

- Ease of set up. Good ventilation (there are seasonal tents (ours is 4 season from when we lived on the east coast)

- Good mattress. Thermarests are great, but when you get to the double wide luxury edition it is huge to carry on the bike. But they are great in the cold.

-Mummy style sleeping bag.

Buy all the backpacking stuff. It weighs less and is made for the bikes (but don't tell the manufacturers, they'll just charge more)

Weigh the stuff too....

All the brands listed are just great.

Bring your moto-gear & bike to the outdoor store. Insist on setting them up yourself and getting in. Bring your saddle bags in too.

It is an investment, so do it right. Or, you will be selling a second hand tent in 3 months.

oilhed said:
Whatever you get remeber to get 2 water proof ground cloths. One for under and one for inside and make sure the ground cloth under the tent is smaller than the tent's footprint.

Good point. Make sure the ground cloth is tucked under the tent. If it's out beyond the edge of the tent, it will catch water and funnel it right under you.

John said:
Can anyone tell me what kind of tent you have and how you like it?

I have a Eureka Timberline II Outfitter, 2 person tent. This model has been around forever and for a good reason.

The Outfitter part of it gives you a 4 oz heavy-duty Oxford nylon floor and heavy duty zippers.

One more thing. As far as I'm concerned, as a motorcyclist a 2 person tent is a one person tent by the time you store you gear. I'd get a 4 person tent the next time if I were riding two up.

Attachments

• eureka timberline.jpg
    eureka timberline.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 929
Re: Re: Tents

Global Rider said:
One more thing. As far as I'm concerned, as a motorcyclist a 2 person tent is a one person tent by the time you store you gear. I'd get a 4 person tent the next time if I were riding two up.

Yep. That's why we have a 3 person tent with a big ol' vestibule.

Here's another great Sierra Designs tent. The Comet CD. 3 person, good ventilation, great head height and fast setup.

11926-Medium.jpg

Back