• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Aluminum Cleaning

PeoriaMac

OK, I've got the bike apart for replacing the starter, and as long as I do, I'd like to get the cases cleaner. So, what's the collective wisdom for cleaning? Simple Green? Ideas and suggestions appreciated...

Mac

a vote for sipmle green

I use simple green for all of the engine parts on my /6 (actually all of the parts on the bike), It cuts throught the grease and dirt very well and leaves the patina on the aluminum parts. Engine looks clean enough to eat off, but still 35 years old. I'm not fanatical about keeping the bike so clean and only do it like that about every other year. But when it's clean, it's really clean.
Theo Marks
'74 R75/6

I used Flitz metal polish and a set of stiff nylon brushes of varying sizes. Followed that up with either Simple Green or Purple Power grease cutter and finally a light spray of SiliKroil (silicon spray) to keep future grease from sticking.

My method leaves the aluminum looking great, but does remove most of the patina.

1. Apply Simple Green, let sit for a bit, then hose off.
2. Re-apply Simple Green, again let sit for a bit then scrub off all the dirt, oils, grease etc.
3. Next, using plastic scrubbing pads (Scotch Brite), Autosol metal polish and lots of Elbow Grease, scrub the aluminum till all turns black, then scrub some more.
4. Clean off the residue with soft cloths till nice and bright. Will use lots of old cloths.
5. Spray some WD-40 on the part and wipe clean.

Repeat 3. and 4. until you get the desired level of cleanliness. You can polish them to almost look like chrome if you wish. Or just clean to the point of a nice dull alminum finish. Anywhere in between.

Barkeepers Friend

I really like "Barkeepers Friend". Looks like scouring powder, but doesn't have all the abrasive in it. It also has a chemical action that cleans aluminum quite well. Worls particularly well on the star wheels. But, like other products mentioned above, you got to put some elbow grease into it and make sure you rinse it off otherwise you will have a white residue.

Dave H
San Antonio, TX

I use simple green for all of the engine parts on my /6 (actually all of the parts on the bike), It cuts throught the grease and dirt very well and leaves the patina on the aluminum parts. Engine looks clean enough to eat off, but still 35 years old. I'm not fanatical about keeping the bike so clean and only do it like that about every other year. But when it's clean, it's really clean.
Theo Marks
'74 R75/6

I??ve been trying to get my engine clean, not yet satisfied . what is green?? is that some kind of a common household inventory ?

Brillo pads work well. Leaves the aluminum clean with a slightly dark lustre. The finish also beads water, so there must be some wax in the pad soap formulation.
It's all a matter of personal preference and how much time you want to spend. Fanatics will get out the buffing wheel and polish/buff using 3 different compounds.

Cleaning engine

Use the RED ScotchBrite Pad, not the green.

Brillo Pads and steel wool will leave iron residue that will rust.
Scotchbrite Pads are a better alternative, IMO.,
but both will "shine the surface".

Simple Green is a household cleaner and a favorite of mine –
SG has replaced the much more expensive S100 Motorcycle Cleaner
in my garage for general duty cleaning.

Caustic, dangerous and an environmental disaster ...
but NOTHING takes the cr@p off aluminum casting as well as spray carb cleaner or spray brake cleaner ...
except maybe the acid based aluminum cleaners as used on boats, trailers, etc.
also marketed in smaller quantities as "raw aluminum mag wheel" cleaners.
Both ACID based solutions, both very NASTY STUFF – and unless directions are followed meticulously, these can turn aluminum to black.

Back