• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another new Beemer owner...

R

RobertK

Hi folks,
It feels strange to be announcing yourself...
Anyhow, I finally decided to own a BMW (after a bunch of others) , so I bought a nice new Azure Blue 2009 F650GS twin last fall.
I've always liked the 400 - 650 sizes for some reason, and my back won't allow me to have the type where you sit low with your feet out in front, e.g. - Harley, etc.

I got the regular high version, bought another Air Hawk seat cushion, a Hebco-Becker Topcase, threw in Dyna Beads, removed the weights, mounted a nice Cee-Baileys 18" windshield, and I'm off and running.

I was looking for a forum where you could go and ask a question if you had a problem or technical issue, so I thought I would give this a go.

So far the bike runs pretty good, but I wish it was heavier. Oh well, like my dealer said, you can always move up ;-)

Anyhow, hallo folks,
Robert

Robert, Welcome aboard!!!! You should be able to find a wealth of information in the "F-Twins" forum. There are always helpful friendly people ready to share their experience and/or opinions with you. How about a pic of that bike of yours????

Hi folks,
It feels strange to be announcing yourself...

So far the bike runs pretty good, but I wish it was heavier. Oh well, like my dealer said, you can always move up ;-)

Anyhow, hallo folks,
Robert

Move up? :laugh

Yes there are heavier bikes and engines with more CCs but for the combination of very light weight and an 800cc engine the weight to power ratio makes this bike one very fast machine.

Welcome to the parallel twin forum. Glad to have you on board on come on back when you have any questions about your new ride.

Hi Robert, you will find plenty of info and lots of great folks to share it here.

Looks like you are already well on the way to making the bike your own with the things you have done. Check in in the F Twins section and you can see what others have done with their bikes and maybe share how all the upgrades have worked for you so far.

And if you do have questions or comments, don't hesitate to ask.

Once again, welcome!

Welcome to our world!

Glad to have you here and look forward to reading some ride reports (with pics of course).

Do you ride to eat or eat to ride?

Thanks

Hi Guys,
Thank you for all the kind words.
I can get a picture of the bike uploaded, but except for the topcase and windshield, it looks like every other 650 twin.

Eat to ride? Dunno...
I started when I was 17 on a Suzuki 80cc (I'm 60 now) , rode all winter, all year, to my part time job because my father wouldn't trust me with the car. If that makes sense to you, please explain it to me ;-)
Went all over the place with that little machine, even down to PA from Rochester, NY. Loved it Joined the Iron Horsemen for a short stint. (not with the Suzuki ;) ) Drove out west to go to school on a BSA 650, worked part time in a MC shop in Wyoming while in school. Raced motocross for a bit. Once I graduated, I continued to work at the MC shop, but didn't have any money, so I slept in the attic on 10 cases of MC oil with my dog and fan to keep me cool.
Eventually I moved to Billings, Montana, where I stayed for 6 years, then back to Rottenchester.
Since I started on a MC, I have always loved to ride, and have had the pleasure of riding quite a few different machines in some beautiful places out West.
Unfortunately, my back is dictating what I can do and what type of bike I can ride now, but I guess that's to be expected.

Thanks again for the welcome,
Robert

Back