• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Deer!

Just finished the Lake Superior Circle Tour this week and we had 2 close calls with deer at 10:00am each time! First one was outside of Sault Ste Marie and the other was leaving Bayfield.

:bliss

Had a full size doe run out in front of me around 6:30 tonight. Fortunately, it was on one of Wisconsin's "Rustic Roads", which has a low speed limit, and I had plenty of time to react. Makes you think though....:whistle

In Wisconsin, about a half-dozen motorcycle riders each year die in collisions with white-tailed deer. If you ride in Wisconsin, you WILL dodge deer. Wild turkey have become a problem as well.

I live in WI and I have hit four deer in my cars - none on a bike thank God. I fear deer far more than cagers, road debris, etc. The other night I pushed it to get home (18 hour ride from SD) and found myself breaking my cardinal rule - no riding at night. The main reason for that rule (for me) is deer. I felt as though I was playing Russian Roulette. At any moment I knew a deer could spring out of the tree lined median (I-90) and I would have zero time to react. I did make it obviously, but I saw 2 deer on a slower 2 lane hwy that evening. Not close calls really, but I can thank PIAA for that.

I'm considering taking up hunting and just letting the giant rats just lay where they drop.

Up here in Northeast Michigan the deer are in pocket's. Some areas you do not see any. Then in some areas they are grouped like cattle.
The Michigan DNR has truly made a mess of the deer hunting in this state. We are not allowed to bait deer during hunting season so, that means the deer will go to the farm's and eat with the cow's. It is not unusual to see several deer grazing with cattle.
Then the DNR came up with early hunting which in turn spooks the deer into the thick swamps. They will stay there until the noise in the woods diminishes.
What really torques me off is the flatlanders coming up here and trespassing on my property. Every deer season I catch some drunken idiot carrying a rifle on my property. I have signs posted all over. That does not help.
In our case up here is poor deer management by the Michigan DNR. Deer season in Michigan is now dictated by laim politician's and the insurance industry.
Just be very careful where ever you ride. Avoid early morning and late evening riding. Even during the mid-day, deer are out. Scan the both sides of the road at all times. If you see one deer crossing the road, be prepared for more to follow.
That is just a small touch of avoiding deer/motorcycle pia's.

Take Care & Ride Safe
Pat Carol

there are too many deer and too few predators (hunters)

When it is all said and done, it comes down to land access. As the farms, ranches and woodlands are taken over by homeowners, and hunting activity is denied, the deer populations explode.

I was invited to participate in a deer eradication program in Lime CT a few years back. A bunch of multi millionaires took a huge chunk of land and built McMansions on it. At first they loved the deer in the yards, then Lime disease flourished and the home owners got nervous, but when the deer started to eat the cedar siding off the houses, something had to be done. Everything was tried and in the end hunters were called in and delt with the problem..........

They do Millions in Auto insurance damage and deaths in Texas each year. .... Of course I'm talking about the DEER.

We are moving into THEIR habitat.... I agree we need to "take over the wolf's bloody business."

A friend was riding with me in the Hill Country once and noticed all the red and fur on the road.

He asked.."What do you guys feed the deer to make them EXPLODE like that?"

I answered... "Ranch Hand delivered by Ford, Chevy or Dodge."

Da...mned Horned Rats.. Kill 'em all.

Back