• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2005 Rally Point of Intrest

Day rides--
Auburn,IN has Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum.
Dayton,OH has Air Force Museum.

Unregistered said:
Day rides--
Auburn,IN has Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum.
Dayton,OH has Air Force Museum.

The Auburn Museum is a pretty cool place to go. Also close is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

I was at the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB on Monday. What a fantastic place! I planned to spend a couple hours there on my way back from the Springfield Mile and ended up spending 7 hours.......and I still didn't see everything! It has to be the best collection of military aircraft in the U.S., and really traces the history of flight in serious detail. There are lots of one of a kind planes, skunk works projects, Presidential planes, spacecraft, etc. and an IMAX theater to boot! If you get the opportunity all I can say is GO! If you don't find something of interest there, then I would encourage you to immediately check your pulse because your heart may have stopped beating!

On an unrelated note, has anyone explored the possibility of doing a track day at Mid-Ohio that weekend? Might be a fun day to play around on a fantastic road racing course.

Ride safe,

Geo said:
On an unrelated note, has anyone explored the possibility of doing a track day at Mid-Ohio that weekend? Might be a fun day to play around on a fantastic road racing course.

Ride safe,

Thanks for Volunteering George. Although the MOA rally generally conflicts with either vintage Days or Superbikes at Mid Ohio. If that is the case, we have a another reason to go to Mid Ohio.

Bob Malehorn
05 Rally Volunteer Chair

Air Force Museum

Well, I wasn't going to go to the Air Force Museum but after checking their web site out I am so there.

It really looks like a cool place to explore and the price is right too!

Free is always good.:bliss

I've been to both of those museums and they're both absolutely fantastic. Wright Patterson is even free, which might be the value of the century.

Visit the free Lincoln Park rail exhibit, 5 minutes from the Rally.
Take Bellefontaine Ave. into Lima, just past Memorial Hospital, hang a right on Hill Street, next intersection, park is on the right/left. Also a nice Firemans museum is right there, too. Both free.

Lincoln Park Railway Exhibit
(Admission is FREE)

This outdoor display features the following which are also under lights after dark:

The last steam engine built in Lima (Locomotive No. 779)
1883 luxury private car built for Chauncy DePew by Pullman
1882 Nickle-plated caboose
and authentic 1895 Country Station by DT&I Railroad

Can be viewed anytime
Phone: 419-222-9426

Beat the heat in '05!
So you've got an extra half hour during the Rally? Take a dip in the lake! (I prefer them to pools!)
This place is really close to the Rally site; the swimming area is just a few years old, and it is a nice facility. Admission is $3.50. You can get there in 5 minutes from the Rally.

Ottawa Metro Park (no alcohol!)

1.5 miles east of I-75 on SR 81 (next exit north of the Rally exit, just about a mile, then east on 81 about a mile); acreage: 214

"89 acre lake for non-gas powered boats and fishing, boat ramp, handicap fishing deck, 3 reservable shelters, restrooms, new separate swimming lake, with swimming beach, and camping.
Ottawa Metro Park's main attraction is a 450 foot sand beach swimming lake with wheelchair access, a "Raindrop" water fountain, "Aqua Jump" water trampoline with Aqua Launch attachment, slip-n-slide, vending machines, changing area and restroom, shade structure, plus a covered picnic area. Family Fun Days are scheduled throughout the summer months. The beach is also available for after-hours parties, from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. (one week advance notice). The beach is supervised by certified lifeguards and Park Rangers for visitors' safety.

http://www.jampd.com/html/campgrounds.html

Ohio roads

Although greater metropolitan Lima is in Ohio's flat, rectangular cornpatch, Ohio has some terrific riding roads. I'm sure some of my fellow statesmen will be telling you about them. But until you hear more, consider almost any Ohio highway with three digits to be a good candidate - and in particular, check out OH 555 and OH 550 - both in southeastern Ohio. Look closely at a side trip over to Hocking county, where the roads are all crooked, and all the hills are good looking.

The section of Amish country around Millersburg is gorgeous. Remember to take the back roads (Shaw's Law number 16: "All roads go somewhere - usually"). Don't be afraid of getting lost - it's more fun if you do. Do be careful of the horse drawn buggies and carts, though. With you doing the speed limit (oh, sure!) and them clipping along at 5 mph, they come up fast. And, while not as slick as goose crap, horse manure lacks traction [zing, thunk, ouch]

A terrific day's ride is OH 93 south to OH 555 south to the Ohio River to 7 (to Marietta) to OH 26 north to OH 800 north. Get off at 250, and visit nearby Mathias BMW (my favorite dealer in four states). Tell owner Gene Robinson and techs Dave and Jamie I said hello - and to offer you the free synthetic air they give to all who mention my name. ;)

HELP WANTED - Writers!

Help Wanted!

One of the most important tasks RIGHT NOW is getting some articles written for publication in the BMW ON and for the Web Page.

Don't be shy, boys and girls! You club needs you!!!:stick

We need articles about good roads to ride TO the rally. We need articles about good places to see while AT the rally.

Although this forum is a wonderful place for those of us who read it, there is a HUGE segment of the MOA membership who are missing this.

SO -- Do you have an MOA number? (need that to be published)
Do you have an idea for an article? Please let me know if you are ready to help out with this task.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Back