Thread: R1100GS oil filter:STUCK!

Unhappy R1100GS oil filter:STUCK!

Last time I did my oil change, I didn't use a BMW oil filter but a Fram equivilent.

I just tried to remove the Fram version to install a genuine BMW filter and the filter wrench just slips around the filter. Since this is a recessed filter it not like you can get a good grip on it.

I tried putting some duct tape (good 'ol duct tape!) around the inside of the filter wrench to try and gain some holding power - that didn't work--it just keeps slipping.

I buttoned everything up now and put new oil in - the old filter is still on the bike with new oil in it ( I always run Spectro Gold) so I'm good to go until the next oil change I guess.

Any clues on how to remove it??

I SHOULD TELL YOU I'M USING THE BMW OIL WRENCH SO I DON'T KNOW IF GETTING A DIFFERENT WRENCH WOULD DO THE TRICK.

Anyone have this problem??

Any advise would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

PS--> This is a great lesson on why you buy OEM parts!

Re: R1100GS oil filter:STUCK!

Originally posted by gsmetal
    Last time I did my oil change, I didn't use a BMW oil filter but a Fram equivilent.

I just tried to remove the Fram version to install a genuine BMW filter and the filter wrench just slips around the filter. Since this is a recessed filter it not like you can get a good grip on it.

I tried putting some duct tape (good 'ol duct tape!) around the inside of the filter wrench to try and gain some holding power - that didn't work--it just keeps slipping.

I buttoned everything up now and put new oil in - the old filter is still on the bike with new oil in it ( I always run Spectro Gold) so I'm good to go until the next oil change I guess.

Any clues on how to remove it??

I SHOULD TELL YOU I'M USING THE BMW OIL WRENCH SO I DON'T KNOW IF GETTING A DIFFERENT WRENCH WOULD DO THE TRICK.

Anyone have this problem??

Any advise would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

PS--> This is a great lesson on why you buy OEM parts!
    I've driven screwdrivers through the filters and then turned them off. I've heard of them getting stuck on Kbikes. They dropped the oil pan and jammed a screwdriver through the filter to get it off.

It sounds to me like you need to get the right sized wrench more than anything, though.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

It sounds to me like you need to get the right sized wrench more than anything, though.
    I think that's just one of the shortcomings of the Fram, not the wrench. I've had similar problems with them on a Suzuki.

The screwdriver trick is the method that seems to be universal. But I'd also be wary of running the filter thru two changes unless it's cross-country type mileage.

Pat

Thumbs up works every time

I got a cheap filter wrench from Pep boys, drilled 4 holes in the bottom. Then put the wrench on the filter and drive 4 sheet metal srews into the filter through the wrench. Basically it attaches the wrench to the filter. Then just turn it off. I've never had a problem with removing them in this way. If it is put on right, it should be not too difficult to remove, but as you've found, when someone gets a little too zealous installing it, the heat cycles only make it tighter...

Total investment for me was a few bucks for the cheap type filter wrench.
    Good luck!!

Re: works every time

Now that is a great solution.

Thanks for the tip, this gets filed away for future need.

Best,

Rob Nye

Originally posted by jcole
    I got a cheap filter wrench from Pep boys, drilled 4 holes in the bottom. Then put the wrench on the filter and drive 4 sheet metal srews into the filter through the wrench. Basically it attaches the wrench to the filter. Then just turn it off. I've never had a problem with removing them in this way. If it is put on right, it should be not too difficult to remove, but as you've found, when someone gets a little too zealous installing it, the heat cycles only make it tighter...

Total investment for me was a few bucks for the cheap type filter wrench.
    Good luck!!

Cool

go to your local dealer and check with the service manager. 15 years ago i remember seeing a wrench they had made and i'm sure they're not the only one. you work with this stuff every day and you find a way. also could try vise grips if you have a pair large enough.

Well, did ya get it off??

Just curious what worked for you....

Thumbs down BAD News: She's not coming off

Well, I tried what you suggested with the 4 sheet metal screws and that filter is on there so tight the screws either broke or bent.

Now I have a filter that's stuck with oil dripping.

I guess all that's left is to take it to the dealer and have the pan dropped and then remove the filter. Luckily I have a trailer.

I swear I will NEVER buy another Fram product as long as I live.

Re: BAD News: She's not coming off

Originally posted by gsmetal
    I guess all that's left is to take it to the dealer and have the pan dropped and then remove the filter. Luckily I have a trailer.
    What a drag. Unfortunately, there's no pan to drop on an oilhead.
    "No one wants advice -- only corroboration." -John Steinbeck

Like San Jose BMW Motorcycles on Facebook.

Not the first time

Last year I helped out a friend with a Ducati who had the same problem.

With the Duc, you could at least get at the filter, problem was, the filter just spun & spun. It had seperated itself from the internal piece. The dealer eventually cut it off.

This too was a Fram and I should have known better than to put something other than an OEM filter on.

This really has me depressed.

It's a simple oil change...I've done hundreds of these and I have to take it in for service because of this stupid filter!

CRAP.

Angry Oil FilterBlues

From what I understand, the BMW oil filters, and cooresponding cup have a "odd number of flats" on the filter, hence the reason your filter cup was probally slipping, beacuse the "crap" filter has a different shape to it.

Being that you have done a million oil changes, I assume you lubricated the o-ring on the filter before installation!? Have you tried a "cheater bar" on your socket wrench? Maybe you need more leverage!

My guess is its just a cheap ass filter that has no place being on a nice bike! Just my .02

John

Oil dem o rings

I always do oil the O ring and I had plenty of leverage when I did the 4 Sheet metal screw trick (so message above).

I think that filter is just on "Oh so tight" that it's going to need to be cut off.

I'll keep you posted.

GS

PS. This is the first time I'm going to trailer my BMW...I hope no Harley's see this!

The Fram filter is not the same dimension as the BMW, hence, you will need a different wrench. They're generally available at Pep Boys or AutoZone and you need to make sure you get the one that's specific to the Fram. My dim memory is that its a #953, but don't quote me on that; I quit using aftermarket filters some time ago, but that's another thread.

mully

Thumbs up FIXED!

Hello All

Well, it's fixed.

I loaded the GS on the trailer and took it to the dealer where I received the expected good natured razzing about using aftermarket filters ("are those holes in the bottom of your filter suppose to be there"?)

$90.00 later (including labor, oil & new filter) I'm happily back on the road.

My advice in hindsight: DON'T USE AFTERMARKET FILTERS.

Thanks to all who gave advice on this but I wouldn't recommend punching holes in a filter with a screwdriver. The last 2 times I did this the filter was defective and no amount of frustration helped.

Get to a dealer and let them do the job. This coming from a guy who loves to do his own work.

GS