• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Blue Ridge Parkway

Fee on Skyline Drive - Senior Pass

If you are 62+ years old $10 will also buy you a Senior Pass at the entrance, which is good for that and all entrance fees to National Parks and Recreational Lands for lifetime (assuming you remember to carry it with you)

Looking Forward to It!

I just put Day 28 and 29 for the BRP of my trip to the Rally. I look forward to it! Haven't really been in Virginia and never in North Carolina so am looking forward to finishing my mainly Canadian trip on the Blue Ridge. By the time I hit Johnson City I should be pretty good at pitching my tent, the GPS says 8280 miles from Littleton CO to Johnson City with my planned route. Then about 1200 miles back. :groovy

Bed and Breakfast

I've decided to take my own advice. My wife isn't much of a camper, so to offset the 3 nights in a tent, we've booked a room in Floyd, VA at a B&B on Wednesday. This will leave us with a short ride to the rally on Thursday. We chose the Lawson House. She still has rooms available and quoted us a midweek price of $ 100 which includes breakfast.
http://www.lawsonhouseinn.com/

See you all at the rally.

I ride the parkway a lot on trips to North Carolina from Pa and I just love it. I do however always travel it n the weekdays to avoid congestion but there are always plenty of places to pass and the police are not bad if you are not acting like an idiot. Take the parkway and enjoy it, there is no other road like it. If you have the chance visit West Virginia also. The area around hot springs is perfect for motorcycles, truth being told there are too many roads to mention in the whole area so none will disapoint you.

Brett Endress
Altoona Pa

I just rode the entire BRP from south to north over the course of two days. It's one of my favorite roads regardless of what I'm in or on. Some quick observations that came to mind as I was riding.

1. While it's easy to press the 45 mph speed limit, you're going to end up averaging less than 45mph overall. There is simply too much to see and take in. It just isn't a fast road and that's part of the joy.

2. Services are readily available. There are very few parkway services but at nearly every gap there is an exit to a main road. While the parkway is cleverly constructed to look like it is in the middle of nowhere it is usually only a short distance to "civilization" including fuel, services and restaraunts.

3. Parkway is always cooler than lower elevations. check local weather and then subtract 10 degrees in summer for elevation. First day was perfect on BRP while lower elevations were miserable. Second day was actually chilly while lower elevations were just plain hot.

4. Weekday traffic is great. some traffic but nothing dramatic. Very few RVs which are the major obstruction on BRP.

5. Two short detours just north of Asheville,not bad at all and an excellent opportunity for gas up. This is rare for BRP, usually there are more detours.

6. One park ranger / law enforcement in the entire distance. From experience law enforcement is much heavier on weekend and almost non-existent on weekdays.

7. Saw 2 accidents - 1 Harley 1 sportbike. Harley's seem to take shallow apex and ride off side of road, sport bike, who knows, just dumb riding, everybody all right. While BRP is curvy it's actually fairly easy to ride, high apex and realistic speeds, a few reducing radius turns but nothing serious. Getting off BRP is more dangerous as NC roads can quite funky in regards to traffic. The hardest part is leisure traffic on BRP to real traffic on NC highways. Big change in situational awareness.

8. Plenty of deer. Especially around VA / NC line.

9. Take time for pull offs - some great views

10. more opportunities for passing than I remember.

11. Ignore your map sense in NC, in some cases you'll spend an hour going 20 miles, the road into Johnson City from Boone, NC is the perfect example, actually a lot more technical than the BRP.

12. Forget the Tail of the Dragon. too much hype for a road that looks like a million other NC / / TN / Va/ WVA roads.

13. Enjoy it all, everytime I'm on BRP I see new things that I didn't remember the last time.

Back