• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1200 battery problems

Key ON/OFF

Cjack,

Wasn't aware that one could do the key trick. I'll try it. Frankly, with the ring terminal pigtail hard-wired to my battery with its convenient SAE connector, I don't see a lot of advantage, if any, charging through the accessory port. I charge with the key off.

Pete

Me too...directly to the battery. It was interesting as to just what BMW had in mind though and how they did it. I thought at first that only the BMW charger (the over $120 dollar one) some how was necessary to keep the port open when the key was turned off, but it turned out that any charge current thru the port would keep it open until the charger went to float. Add to that, I think the characteristics of the port operation has changed from '05 until now.
I just put a charging wire onto the battery as you however. I actually use the Gerbings pigtail which I need there anyway...and it's fused, etc.

Please go to this site and look at the application guide:

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/powersports.html

PC680 for the K1200RS,LT sealed unit.

The ODYSSEY?« battery can handle it.
Featuring rugged construction and packed tightly with pure lead plates, the non-spillable AGM design ODYSSEY battery protects against the shock and vibration that can quickly destroy other batteries. And the pure lead plates mean more powerÔÇötwice the overall power and three times the life of conventional batteriesÔÇöup to 400 cycles at 80% depth of discharge!

BMW does not make batteries or chargers they just slap there emblem on what they approve. Granted they only approve quality stuff but you will pay for the privilage of having there logo on your purchase.:banghead

K1200R Sport 2 yrs old. Battery died and I use battery tender. But I was lucky had about a month left on warranty, dealer replaced it.

Just picked up a new leftover '08 K1200S and I'm having an issue with the battery. The dealer tells me that if the bike is left dormant for more than 2 days, it must be hooked up to a tender. Supposedly the computer's draw is enough to drain a fully charged battery in a matter of days. This sounds absurd, since my other BMW's can sit for 2 months with no charger, and still start. Any feedback on this will be appreciated.

There has been some discussion of this over on the i-bmw.org site..seems that a few have found that their ABS modual was at fault and remained on and did not cycle off after the key was in the off position thus there was a drain of the battery. It was found by a BMW Tech Rep that was called in to diagnose the problem.

I had an accessory mounted option with a relay that had shorted to the on position that drained my battery on my '08 K1200S. Problem was discovered by my local dealer after bike didn't start after sitting for about a week..fyi..battery was replaced under warranty by same dealer...

Regards,

Clay
Kimberton,Pa.

Back