• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Seeking riders from Upstate NY to Tenn Rally

Hi ya'll. I'm seeking campers heading south to the rally from upstate NY. I live near Albany, NY Ready to ride with anyone interested in sharing stories, camping under stars, and returning mid week after the rally to Tenn. I'm a professional musician taking time off to decompress a bit. I'll ride with anybody!! Up for anything along the way that leads to fun rides and good times. Easy to be with folk are welcomed.

Greg '02 R1150R:dance

i will be riding down from Westchester Co. NY. i plan on taking I-84 to I-81 to Skyline drive/Blue Ridge Parkway, which i will take to Roanoke VA before picking up I-81 again. i will be staying in a motel someware off the Blue Ridge before ending up in JC at the Ramada Inn.

Albany to Rally

Hi Greg - I'll be coming down Highway 7 from Vermont, and will be going past Albany on the 13th of July. It'll be day 27 for me, I will be leaving this Wednesday from Colorado and going up to northern Canada ending up in Nova Scotia for almost a week. I'll be camping and am still working on the route from Vermont. If you're interested in hooking up in Albany send me a private message within the next couple of days and we'll map out a route. I ordinarily do not ride Interstates, I like the two lane roads. I have a 2004 R1150 RT and you can see my post in the Mountain/Prairie section of the forum if you go back far enough. Steve

central vermont to tennessee

Hello Greg
I'm planning on leaving vermont on the 13th and going through Whitehal NY to 87 south then 287south to 78 west onto 81 south and then jumping on the Skyline Drive on the 14th. I will be taking the Blue Ridge Parkway down maybe as far as just south of Asheville then cutting over.Not really sure though where i will cut off the BRP and head west.My plans are open for change and input...
I would rather take secondary roads to Front Royal but the last time i did that it took twice as long and didn't really find any enjoyable roads doing it...I will have all my camping gear but if the weather isn't favorable could spend the night at a motel....
I like putting in long days on my bike....
I plan on being back no later than the 24th and was thinking of returning up through Kentucky into Ohio then western Pennsylvania into NY up through the finger lakes... Peace michael

on your way

can you guys meet me on the way down?

Maybe at Front Royal?

Attachments

• Picture 9.jpg
    Picture 9.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 206
A pair of us will be leaving VT on the 11th down 7 and cutting over to Sarasota Springs, down to 88 (avoiding the Albany area and tolls) to 81, then south into PA. We were planning on staying on 81 almost to Harrisburg then backroads to a hotel north of Lancaster, but the DOT page lists a LOT of construction projects on 81. The only thing worse than slabbing would be construction traffic on the slab.

As an alternative we were thinking of 81 to 706 west to 29 south. Figured we'd stop the first day somewhere north of Harrisburg on 11, then rise early on Sunday for the ride to Gettysburg. Any suggestions for scenic PA backroads and good layover points for that first night would be appreciated.

After that it's scenic routes to Skyline Drive. I'm sure we'll meet some of you there.

Pete

Want to ride on the 13th to Tenn?

Hello Greg
I'm planning on leaving vermont on the 13th and going through Whitehal NY to 87 south then 287south to 78 west onto 81 south and then jumping on the Skyline Drive on the 14th. I will be taking the Blue Ridge Parkway down maybe as far as just south of Asheville then cutting over.Not really sure though where i will cut off the BRP and head west.My plans are open for change and input...
I would rather take secondary roads to Front Royal but the last time i did that it took twice as long and didn't really find any enjoyable roads doing it...I will have all my camping gear but if the weather isn't favorable could spend the night at a motel....
I like putting in long days on my bike....
I plan on being back no later than the 24th and was thinking of returning up through Kentucky into Ohio then western Pennsylvania into NY up through the finger lakes... Peace michael

All of this sounds good to me. Let's talk about details soon.
Greg from Rensselaerville, NY. I'm ready to leave on the 12 or 13 and ride down and back by the 23....gotta be home for my Bday on 23...

Looking for riders from upstate NY to the rally in Tenn

Hi Greg - I'll be coming down Highway 7 from Vermont, and will be going past Albany on the 13th of July. It'll be day 27 for me, I will be leaving this Wednesday from Colorado and going up to northern Canada ending up in Nova Scotia for almost a week. I'll be camping and am still working on the route from Vermont. If you're interested in hooking up in Albany send me a private message within the next couple of days and we'll map out a route. I ordinarily do not ride Interstates, I like the two lane roads. I have a 2004 R1150 RT and you can see my post in the Mountain/Prairie section of the forum if you go back far enough. Steve

So let's talk about riding when you come through the area where I live. I'm ready to leave on July 12/13 and camp or whatever along the way and ride a bunch while I'm down in Tenn. I don't know if you'll be getting emails while you are out and about on your trek... Peace....
Greg from Rensselaerville, NY

Hey now,

If you like to camp we still have a few spots available on the YB a Big Johnson Tour. We have a few folks coming down from the Albany area, first night is about 580 from Albany, then all twisty back roads and relaxed days to the rally. "Direct" routes are about 200 miles a day. Plenty of time for sight seeing, adding twisties or an early happy hour at your campsite.

It's now a fundraiser for the MOA Charity.

Camping Sat, Sun, Monday and Tuesday.

Best,

Rob Nye
IBA 250
MOA Ambassador

I 81 Construction. Sorry but Pa is on a 5 year bridge repair program and then came the stimulus.

For those coming down from New York on I 81. Avoid I 81 north of Scranton its down to one slow lane due to construction. Take the Pa Turnpike south near Clarks Summit to I 80 west then back on I 81 south again. Have change available because this is a commuter section and there are two 50 cent toll booths ( maybe more $ on July 1st ). http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...77948&sspn=0.563769,1.234589&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=10 Or take Rt 11 that is west of I 81 to Clarks Summit then 476 S to 80 to 81. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...627,-75.796051&spn=0.530418,1.234589&t=h&z=10 See below for I 81 south of Scranton.

Those using I 84- 380-81south , south of Scranton to Avoca is one lane for bridge repair in each direction 3-5 miles. This may change in another 10 days. And I 81 south of Wilkes-Barre is one lane for 11 miles of very slow traffic. They were kind to leave the passing lane open on the three lane hills but it does nothing due to traffic. You can bail off of I 81 south at Dupont and take the Turnpike to I 80 west then south on I 81. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...895,-75.789871&spn=0.282788,0.617294&t=h&z=11 Coming from Albany go further south and pick up I 80 west of NYC. :scratch 287 to 280 to 80.

The only other slow downs on I 81 is near the south Pa state border, I am not sure if it is a one lane or a lane shift..............expect delays.

If you need a scenic route let me know via PM / email, and you can still go fast but the small towns may slow you down with radar. The Big Johnson Tour is a great way to get there.

Last edited:
A pair of us will be leaving VT on the 11th down 7 and cutting over to Sarasota Springs, down to 88 (avoiding the Albany area and tolls) to 81, then south into PA. We were planning on staying on 81 almost to Harrisburg then backroads to a hotel north of Lancaster, but the DOT page lists a LOT of construction projects on 81. The only thing worse than slabbing would be construction traffic on the slab.

As an alternative we were thinking of 81 to 706 west to 29 south. Figured we'd stop the first day somewhere north of Harrisburg on 11, then rise early on Sunday for the ride to Gettysburg. Any suggestions for scenic PA backroads and good layover points for that first night would be appreciated.

After that it's scenic routes to Skyline Drive. I'm sure we'll meet some of you there.

Pete

Pete, this is a scenic way down.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou....774302,-76.300735&spn=0.268833,0.617294&z=11

NY Rt 30 is farmland and nice valleys. Then you follow the east branch of the Delaware, travel along a reservoir, and enjoying Rt 30 sweepers. Rt 17 to Hancock is scenic slab then you enter Pennsylvania. The northeast Pa section is called the Delaware highlands with much of the roads having nice distant views of mountains, farms, and woods. The road is bumpy around Union Dale. You will pass under Rt 81 after the town of Clifford. In Nicholson has a railroad viaduct to travel under, there is a photo op side road on the left before you get to town. Continue south on Rt 92 till you ride a short bit of Rt 6 in Tunkhannock. Its best to take the non-business Rt 6 and it will be a left on the second light. Rt 29 is more farmland and woods all the way to Rt 118. I have you going west on Rt 118 to 487 that will take you to Bloomsburg. In Ricketts Glen State Park on Rt 118 there is a nice water fall close to the road on the left that is worth seeing. Again this is all country, farmland and small communities such as central Vermont.

You cross the river at Bloomsburg and head into a small section of the coal region and the town of Shamokin. Rt 125 south is one of the best motorcycle roads in Pa and there are a few 15 mile an hour hairpins overlooking great farmland and another mountain. In Hegins you can go south to Pa Dutch country on Rt 125 to Rt 501 ( Pine Grove ) or back on Rt 81 to Harrisburg.

If you can give me an idea of your travel speed I can find you a place to stay.

The only negative is please slow for the small towns due to radar. The rest of the time you can be going quickly. The back road past Union Dale to Crystal Lake is rough but better on a bike than a cage since you can pick a nice line. The rest of the roads are great, but watch for deer and farm machinery.

I'm reg. with Rob's gathering with YB, we got street & dirt riding to do. As Rob said we got a some spots left. See ya there or at the YB beer tent.

From Northen Maine through VT

I was going to have to leave on the 14th but can now leave by the 12th and would be happy to meet up with others in VT or NY. I was planning to ride on 88 and 17 to Corning area and then was given a great route through PA to the rally grounds but am up for other routes too. I have ridden a lot on the BRP and find it getting a bit boring but would do it. Skyline at 35 MPH limit is real slow.
I ride an 06 R1200RT and plan to camp but on a cold rainy night would be happy for a room.
Feel free to email me direct,
Bill

Pete

Rt 81 doesn't have that much construction south of Harrisburg, but there is quite a bit further north. Consider taking 434 off of 81 in NY and then hitting 14, which is a nice route south (curvy yet fairly direct). You can pick up either 322 or 15 for a bit before hitting 81 around Harrisburg.

Riding to the rally from Albany NY region

I was going to have to leave on the 14th but can now leave by the 12th and would be happy to meet up with others in VT or NY. I was planning to ride on 88 and 17 to Corning area and then was given a great route through PA to the rally grounds but am up for other routes too. I have ridden a lot on the BRP and find it getting a bit boring but would do it. Skyline at 35 MPH limit is real slow.
I ride an 06 R1200RT and plan to camp but on a cold rainy night would be happy for a room.
Feel free to email me direct,
Bill

HI Bill,
So, I'm ready to leave to catch up with Rob on Sunday the 12 somewhere with the Yankee Beemers about 580 miles S. from Albany, NY. I can't leave until around 8:30pm on Sat night from Schenectady where I'd catch I88 to northern PA or Binghamtom and get a hotel for one night. (about 130 miles)...then ride to meet up on Sunday the 12th with the group from New England. That's just one plan. I'm open to talking about when you could get to Albany on the 12th...ride with you and camp and take your scenic ideas. So right now, I'm open for anything. Let me know what you think and we'll go from there... I'm a musician and have a gig that would be cool for you to check out...Bastille Day concert with my zydeco band in Schenectady. We could leave after that on July 11 at 8:30pm and ride on down the road... just a thought...

For those passing thru the Albany area, there is no toll on the NYS Thruway if you enter/exit at exit # 24 and get on/off at I-88. The Toll booth will give you a toll ticket but when you turn it in there is no toll, it is free. A deal NYS made with the Feds many years ago in return for funds to build I-88.

Josh

Maine to Albany and on to Rally

Hi Greg,

I just can't leave till the 12th and would hope to be in the Albany area by 2:00 PM and then on toward Binghamton.
It is entirely up to you if you want to wait that extra day for me. My wife would rather I have company but I don't mind traveling alone. Just let me know if you want to meet or not and where.
Safe journies,
Bill

Hi Greg,

I just can't leave till the 12th and would hope to be in the Albany area by 2:00 PM and then on toward Binghamton.
It is entirely up to you if you want to wait that extra day for me. My wife would rather I have company but I don't mind traveling alone. Just let me know if you want to meet or not and where.
Safe journies,
Bill

Meeting around 2pm on the 12th sounds very good to me. I can meet you somewhere in the area and then ride on down to Binghampton and beyond. Camping? Sounds great. Where will you be riding from? Maine?? If it's a hard rain, getting a hotel is cool with me. Did you say you had a scenic route out of Corning? I'm up for anything that's got adventure written in it. Let's trade emails and figure it all out. When did you plan to return? I can be back by July 23 to Rensselaerville, NY (near Albany in the Catskill MTNS) and you could spend the night with my wife and I and head back the next day or whatever. I'm up for riding some of the twisties in the Tenn area while at the rally during the day.

Maine to Albany July 12

Meeting around 2pm on the 12th sounds very good to me. I can meet you somewhere in the area and then ride on down to Binghampton and beyond. Camping? Sounds great. Where will you be riding from? Maine?? If it's a hard rain, getting a hotel is cool with me. Did you say you had a scenic route out of Corning? I'm up for anything that's got adventure written in it. Let's trade emails and figure it all out. When did you plan to return? I can be back by July 23 to Rensselaerville, NY (near Albany in the Catskill MTNS) and you could spend the night with my wife and I and head back the next day or whatever. I'm up for riding some of the twisties in the Tenn area while at the rally during the day.
Report Post Reply With Quote

This all sounds good Greg. I will be riding down from Greenville, ME on Moosehead Lake so will be going east across ME and northern NH into VT where I will brobably cross over through Rutland, VT and into Glens Falls, NY and down I87. You can probably route me best from I87 as to where to meet you.

We should continue as you suggest on our regular email, mine is anbzeller@gmail.com and cell is 603 568-6634. I was given some good routes and they are on a post I made and you responded to, it is on page 3 of the rally site. Ted gave a good map and suggestions, take a look.
Bill

Great....got your email and cell.

Report Post Reply With Quote

This all sounds good Greg. I will be riding down from Greenville, ME on Moosehead Lake so will be going east across ME and northern NH into VT where I will brobably cross over through Rutland, VT and into Glens Falls, NY and down I87. You can probably route me best from I87 as to where to meet you.

We should continue as you suggest on our regular email, mine is anbzeller@gmail.com and cell is 603 568-6634. I was given some good routes and they are on a post I made and you responded to, it is on page 3 of the rally site. Ted gave a good map and suggestions, take a look.
Bill

Terrific. Finally it's stopped raining for a couple of hours down here. I'll send you my email and cell, too, but we don't get cell service where I live.

I'll check out your trip suggestions. It's all good for me. Just can't wait to start the ride.
Greg from Rensselaerville, NY. I'll meet you somewhere so you can see the great rides we have in NYS maybe along the Sacandaga Reservoir and down to I88 to Binghampton..Talk soon.

Back