• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Ultimate Parts Washer??

I was exchanging PMs with Sumran and he suggested this might be a good thread.

While bringing my Airheads out of near death, I came across the idea of using an ultrasonic parts cleaner from our trusty MD Airmarshall. I've now borrowed it well beyond any time he has put on it--but I can't help it. It's like an addiction!

The unit I am using is a heater, ultrasonic machine intended for the dental industry It could be for jewelry too, but it holds a gallon of cleaning fluid so I'm thinking of all the apparatus' dentists use and they are larger than a ring, watch, etc. I use Gunk parts cleaner available at most auto-parts stores in a gallon paint can for about $22.00. I did try other cleaners. Simple Green worked well, but took much longer. Purple Power (I thought) nearly ruined my carbs by turning them black. I actually used Gunk to revive them and a little aluminum polish.

It's heated, which seems to REALLY break down the grease and dirt (even rust too). There is a 60 minute timer, temp up to 70 degrees I think and a petcock on the side to drain. The exterior is plastic, but the interior is a stainless (surgical grade??) tub with a large basket and a smaller round one with fine mesh. I use the latter for all nuts, bolts, washers, fasteners, etc. of anything I take off the bike to service.

It fits a pair of valve covers (stripped the paint off). A pair of 40mm Bings (disassembled). It de-coked my pistons in under 50 minutes. I only wish it were twice the size to soak my jugs and heads.

All in all, for $200-300 or a danged nice Air Marshall, you can get anything clean!
Thanks Lance!:thumb

Thought it'd be useful for others. what does everyone else use? :dunno

Attachments

• Cleaner.jpg
    Cleaner.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Parts is parts

I'm going to ACY next week. OK if I drop off my rusted fasteners from my RS project? I 'll pick them up on my way home.:violin

I'm going to ACY next week. OK if I drop off my rusted fasteners from my RS project? I 'll pick them up on my way home.:violin

Sure, drop em off....but I'll guarantee it'd be cheaper to buy 3 or 4 of them, what with my labor, electric charges, supplies...markup, oh, and I'd have to slip a hefty sum to my Airmarshall according to the contract. heh?
:deal

I like this idea, and to think I spent the better part of Sunday cleaning my 53's. As a matter of fact, my wife works in a dental clinic ...... hmmm....

The temp you listed as 70 I would presume is C?

I would like to find something that would accept a cylinder or head

I like this idea, and to think I spent the better part of Sunday cleaning my 53's. As a matter of fact, my wife works in a dental clinic ...... hmmm....
Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any marital or occupational hazards. :stick

The temp you listed as 70 I would presume is C?
Yes, sorry should have noted that.

I would like to find something that would accept a cylinder or head
Hold on to your wallet. I would like that too. I used to work at a German service center and we had an industrial strength (and sized) parts washer much like a dishwasher. Used to put wheels, manifolds, calipers, valve covers, engine blocks in there and they come out like brand new. The parts sat on a large rotating platform and heated cleaner was sprayed from every which way. Sometimes it'd take an hour, then a little scrubbing with a nylon brush and in for another hour. It was a 220 circuit, lots of heat and loud but wow, the results were incredible. It also had a rinse cycle with a different fluid. Nice to make das Benz shine. Oh those were the days.:german

There quite a few of these ultrasonic cleaning units on eBay. There are a lot of them that are very small and several others that are very expensive. But if you use the search tools to restrict the price range and exclude the buy-it-now listing, there are several that look promising.

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any marital or occupational hazards. :stick

Too late - I already asked her to find out about their instrument cleaner. She told me some of the gals at work clean their wedding rings in it. She didn't think carb parts would be permitted.......:dunno I guess it brought back memories of cleaning a set of wheel covers in the dishwasher.\... the Jet-Dri did leave them "sparkly clean".

When I did my Chevy engine project at my friend's automotive machine shop, he had a large, heated soak tank for heads, engine blocks, etc, and followed with a "Jenny" steam cleaner. It was messy [you had to wear a rain suit], but did a nice job. The wand could be put directly to oil passages, heavy deposits, etc.

I acquired a large new Branson Ultrasonics unit, large enough to put two carbs in, as a result of our company's "5-S" program. The automotive tier ones toss out everything that doesn't fit with the day's needs, and this was one of the casualties. I use ivory soap and water. Don't use solvents, as they will be vaporizing quickly and become more explosive. I use carb cleaner for a soaking in a coffee can, then soak in paint thinner, then water rinse, then an hour in the soap and water ultrasonic cleaner, with a final water rinse.

It will remove crud from your eyeglasses like you wouldn't believe as well!

Back