• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Member - R1200RT or F800ST

Drubery,

Welcome.

Experience and reflexes will come as the miles accumulate.

Just be careful and have "eyes in the back of your head" whenever you are on two wheels. Look at everything and expect all other drivers/riders on the road to do the most stupid thing possible- many times they will do just that.

Pay attention at all times plus become an experienced rider and ten years from now you will be advising future noobs.

Best of luck on 2 wheels.

John

I'm loving it already and yes watching everything like a hawk. I never assume anyone can see me. She's ready to go to work tomorrow!

Attachments

• DSCN0559.jpg
    DSCN0559.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 89
Just drove my car today for the first time since last Friday evening, what a difference. Poor visibility with pillars in the way, slow, definitely more work. It's an 05' Accord 5 spd and always knew it was a sled, but after almost a week strait of nothing but bike, I think I am hooked for good.

What a difference- two wheels vs. 4, huh?

Glad you are liking your new ride- congratulations..

BTW, Cathy and I have the same helmet as you- how do you like it behind the windscreen of your RS?

John

John, Nolan N102 - cons: it whistles, you have to be firm to close face shield all the way, fogs easily, I think it could vent better - pros: well constructed sturdy mechanism for the modular, nice release, does not grab your head when you turn to check lanes (good aerodynamics), excellent material used in the face shield and interior is very comfortable. I plan on wearing a buff with it but it was a little tight in the forehead when I first purchased the helmet, tried on a ton of helmets except Arai and Shoei as I was not sure riding would be for me. I am also not wearing ear plugs yet, but am going to start today. I wanted time to get used to the sounds around me at natural levels. I am a downhill skier and have worn a helmet for 5-6 years now doing that and have never skied with my iPod as I like to know what's going on around me.

I have not worn many motorcycle helmets, but I am satisfied with this Nolan. The sun shield comes in handy and it was worth the $200 I paid for it. The jacket is a Coretech Tourmaster II in Hi-Vis. I may be looking at a BMW Airflow Mesh jacket as the Tourmaster is a little warm when it's over 85 and humid.

Time for an update?

I put the bike away for the season of 2009 after logging 4,000 miles. Given work is 26 miles round trip and none of those miles are are highway miles (Except the work commute), the rest are practice miles on back roads and I did not start until the middle of June; I'd call it a very good first season.

With great weather in the Spring of 2010 I've been out riding a lot. On my second ride of the season I stopped in at my local dealership to say hello. My salesmen pointed out an 05' K1200S they'd just taken in and suggested I take it for a ride. Now don't get upset with him, I'd told him I was interested in K-bikes. The R1150RS was plenty powerful, but with a dry clutch and the horizontally opposed twin I wanted to try a flying brick. I was hesitant to take him up on his offer, but he'd been stuck in all day and was going to lead the way on the new S1000RR. So off we went! :burnout

Needless to say I was hooked, and the K1200S does have manners. I put my R1150RS up for sale on MOA, local clubs web-site and Craig's List. Meanwhile with the small amount of storage the K1200S has I started searching Craig's List for a K1200GT and asked my dealer to start looking for an 07 or 08'. Then I found an 07' in New Hampshire on Craig's List, (the really fast Graphite color) 3,433 miles, small top case, Navigator III, Cee Bailey's screen, BC, ESA and cruise. ASC and Xenon where the only options missing that I wanted. Fair price, seller was expecting twins and I bought the 07' K1200GT after exchanging some pictures and e-mails.

I wanted to pick the GT up that week (March 19th), but false labor and a busy week at the hospital where too much. The seller offered to hold the GT while I was gone, I offered a deposit which he declined. The following week I was going to be in Vancouver and Whistler British Columbia so with no bites on my bike I listed my R1150RS on Craig's List in NH. While I was in BC I received a couple of inquires and one buyer!

On 4/1 after receiving a deposit for the R1150RS I departed for NH (7.5 hours away) on the R1150RS around 4 PM. I made it to Springfield,MA around 8:15 PM where I decided to warm up and get some rest a couple exits North on 91. I hit the road again at 7:30 the next morning Good Friday, it was a chilly 39 degrees. I made it to the buyers home at around 11:30 AM. Great guy, we got along well and the bike being as described we closed the deal AND he gave me a ride 45 minutes away to meet the seller of the GT. We said our hellos, introductions were made and goodbyes said. Good Friday, the seller and I went to the bank to retrieve the title and lien release and then the seller gave me a ride to NH DMV for temporary tags. Back to the bike, suited up in my Motoport gear and hit the road on the GT after a quick walk through of the GT around 3:30 PM.

Not sure I was going to make it all the way home I headed out Route 101 to Route 9 through NH and Vermont toward Albany. I had not had anything to eat since the breakfast buffet at 7 AM and the buyer of the R1150RS giving me a bottle of water. I accidentally left my Camel-back in the sellers truck! Well with a stop in Troy, NY for gas and another stop just East of Syracuse for some water a bagel and a little Coke, I made it home safely at 11:15 PM. The seller was kind enough to send me the OEM standard height windscreen, the spare key, service records and my Camel-back! Between the buyer, the bank, the NH DMV, and the seller it just shows you there are still great people in this world! :clap

I have ridden 2,000 miles so far this season, 1400 of which have been on the GT. With 6,000 miles under my belt I still have a lot to learn, but work on my riding every time I get on the bike and plan on attending some courses this summer. I am getting sliders installed on the GT in case I have a repeat of a past event I care to forget. There are times I miss my R1150RS, she is a great bike! I equally love the GT, it's a missile, but the gas mileage is not as good. :doh

Have a safe riding season and good luck in the MOA drawing tomorrow!

-Dennis

Attachments

• IMG_2998.jpg
    IMG_2998.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 57
Congrats on the K! Love the Graphite color and glad to hear you had such a positive sales and purchase experience.

Back