• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Member - R1200RT or F800ST

drubery

Western NY Rider
New Member - R1150RS

Hello! Just joined MOA, 43 yrs. old, just finished MSF class, and will be buying a previously enjoyed F800ST or R1200RT. I am 6 foot, bad lower back, need side bags to carry laptop if on call, and want a bike I can take off on for the day or longer. Too early to know as I need seat time (Understatement). Any feedback would be helpful, the larger faring and more upright riding position have me favoring the RT. Thoughts? Thanks in advance. (Couple of 650CS bikes for sale in the area, but I am worried they are too small).

Thanks,

-Dennis

Last edited:
I have an 05 RT and my riding buddy an F800ST. Both are great bikes and will work well on all day trips.

The RT is more prepared for longer journeys and comfort. It also has more features like the ESA, etc. The ST is more sporty. I added a larger windshield, an aftermarket seat, and highway pegs to the RT and it is perfect for long days.

The F800, even with a larger windshield, is still more on the sporty end. The bags and trunk on the RT are larger, too.

There's nothing wrong with the F800 but I would lean you to the RT based on your description. Both have about the same power and acceleration character, too (power to weight ratio).

Finally, the F800 has a very soft front end that is not readily adjustable. The forks will dive tremendously under hard braking. My buddy had new springs installed and it is better, but it's still no Telelever!

Robo

I have an 05 RT also and love it for long trips or 2-up riding. I also have the F650GS twin and it's very, very nice, even 2-up. It's advantage is that's it's lighter than the RT, easier to handle at slow speeds, easier to move around the garage, etc. The RT might seem somewhat big and heavy to a new rider.

Welcome to the forum Dennis.

I would suggest going to your nearest dealer and riding both. BMW dealers let folks take out bikes and try them out.

Given your narrative, I also would suggest the RT because of your back situation.

Glad to have you here and look forward to pictures of your new bike when you get it.

I missed the "new rider" part. The RT is great, but you as a new rider might drop your bike. That's OK, but consider cylinder head gaurds, etc. on an RT if you go that way. The RT is "heavy" in a relative sense. It is under 600 pounds which makes it 'light' as sport tourers go, but still, if you start to drop it, it has mass!

Don't beat yourself up if you drop any first bike, it's part of learning. Used is good.

Bad back, new rider, big heavy bike. I've consider these factors and hope I am not alone no matter what bike I get if I end up dropping it, not something I aspire to experiencing.

I'm all ears on the single thumper. The COG on the F800ST is supposed to be pretty low, but the ridding position may be hard on the back and it seems like it might tire the wrists, tough when comparing it to one of the top rated touring bikes of all time.

Regardless, thanks for the warm welcomes and more importantly the experience backed recommendations. Without a doubt I will be buying "used" for a first bike. My bigger question is what is really too much. The owner of the local BMW dealership is a friend of 30 years and thought the R1150RT '04 would be a good starter or the F650GS. He does not have an 05' RT and I know there were substantial revisions in the bike for 05'. Riding the 04' should give me an idea on the size, but isn't that something you have to learn regardless as you move up? If that sounds overly cocky, please don't hold back

1150RT is a fine bike. My buddy has one and he rides it fast and hard in the twisties.

Power is what you make it. If you're safe and sane, it's OK. Weight is weight. You won't feel it when the bike is moving, only when itis stopped. I can't say for sure, but I bet most people drop a bike when they pop the clutch, learch forward, stall, and tip over. It happens, no big deal.

My first street bike, I was 18, was an R75/5 with fairing and bags and trunk. It weighed a ton it seemed. The center stand was in bad shape, as was the kickstand, and despite repeated self repairs, she tipped over a lot. But she always ran, and was a great machine.

Robo

Oops the 04' is an R1150RS, going to test ride it today. I am concerned the R1200RT may be too much and am starting to lean toward the F800ST.

When you say bad back, how bad?
I own both, the riding position on the RT is pretty much upright, while the F's is a little more aggressive.
What I have found when riders have opined about the F's riding position is what you have said, back and wrists.
I find that the RT has a considerably higher COG and is heavier, however when you get her rolling it's quite easy to handle. My only caution for you on this bike would be slow speed stuff.

Returning to the wrists and back, when I have heard complaints about wrists I think it's possibly because the riders are laying on the grips. This in my opinion is not the way you want to ride this bike. You (editorially) want to use your abs and back to hold your position and be light as a feather on the grips. This should correct any wrist pain if you have encountered same.
The smaller screen on the F I believe is there for a reason. Wind pressure at speed definitely helps support you.

If you can I would urge you to take a test ride on both. One of decent length if your dealer or current owner will allow.

Good hunting!

wezul.. bad back as in massive ruptured disk between L4 and L5. As long as I don't lift anything heavy in front of me I am alright. I did an hour straight of cardio last night, so I am in good shape at 6' 180lbs. Last fall I stacked ten face cords of wood in three evenings and a better part of a Saturday, that did not bother me until about three weeks latter while bending and twisting. I ski downhill aggressively all winter long and never have a problem.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think some things just happen for a reason and today was one of those days.

I went to Country Rode Motowerks this afternoon to test ride a previously enjoyed 2004 R1150RS and to my surprise a new 2009 F800ST. Drew, my appointed guide, took me to the parking lot next door to allow me to get used to the friction zone and go over the bike, the R1150RS was first. He did mention the front brakes were extremely powerful and should not be used at slow speed. I circled the lot a few times and made some left and right turns all the time using the rear brake. Then I pulled up to Drew with the clutch in, my right foot on the brake but the lot sloping from left to right. I took my foot off the brake to plant it and the bike was still moving and too heavy to stop with my feet. My reflexes from the MFS classes kicked in and I grabbed that oh so powerful front brake and down the bike and I went. The boxer engine saved my leg, mirror was twisted around, the taillight was broken and a scratch on the front fairing and the rear rack. :banghead What a way to start a test ride and then the next bike I was slated to ride is a brand new $13,000 bike with no miles and with a $1,000 faring on each side! The only words that were spoken were out of concern for me.

Well I settled down and "jumped back on the horse" so to speak to take the R1150RS on a test ride down the road with Drew leading the way. Maximum speed was likely 45, needless to say I was still rattled. I thought the bike handled well and was comfortable. It fit me better than the 650CS. Dropping it put into perspective the cost of dropping other bikes I was considering, namely a previously enjoyed 2008 F800ST and a 2005 R1200RT. When we returned from the test ride I was very wary of the front brake, but liked the bike a lot. I decided this was the bike for me as I like how it fits, it was recommended when I first spoke to the owner about buying a bike ( A good friend of 30 years.) and as a bonus it won't matter so much if I drop it again. I will just have to make sure I think about the slope of where I am when stopping and practice bringing the bike to a complete stop with the rear brake followed by a quick plant of both feet. I am sure in due time there will be a lot of other lessons, hopefully none more serious than this one and I am sure I will get accustomed to the sensitive power brakes. On a very happy note I am now the proud owner of a Blue BMW 2004 R1150RS with a couple of dings and scratches that for a first bike I will not have to worry so much about. :dance (I wonder if upon delivery they will throw in some spare taillight covers?)

Here's a pic!

Attachments

• 2004_R1150RS.JPG
    2004_R1150RS.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
new bike!

Welcome and congratulations on your purchase.
I've got the same bike in the same color and just love it.
Mine has also been on it's side a couple times. It wanted a nap, I guess.
See you at the rally?

If it was me, I would go for the RT. I love the 08 that I have. I also ride one for work, so I have ridden one for 30 days straight. Just love the RT, great bike.

Congrats on the new bike! :brad Go to a parking lot and practice with the front brake, there is nothing to fear and I'm not sure why the salesman was so adamant you should be so careful. Just remember not to GRAB the brake, this should be fresh from MSF class too.

There is still much for you to learn....parking on a slope will be one that comes quickly to mind. Drops happen. Don't forget to learn how to pick it up correctly, given your back. Plenty of websites show you the "skirt" method. It uses your legs for leverage, not your back.

Safe riding!

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=36738

It's a R1150RS, I messed up, typical noob.

"I returned to the dealer and took the G650GS for a test ride. It's a great bike and I enjoyed it. Drew suggested I ride the 1150 again, as soon as he pulled it up I was apprehensive! I told him and he said well you road it yesterday and your just repeating that. While waiting for him I started her up and practiced with one finger on the front brake rocking the bike, then walking the bike and stopping (All the standard first day MSF drills). Many thanks to the suggestion of one finger at slow speeds, the power assist on those brakes requires it. I even drove it around the lot using the front brake without a problem. Took her down the road and hit both brakes fairly firmly and while very effective, not violent. I was very mindful of the throttle and did not have a problem. As we made the tight decreasing radius turn up the little hill into the parking lot I had her in 2nd and was riding the bake brake for stability. I was on more of a hill than the previous day and stalled. Used the front brake with one finger and started her back up, pulled her back around to get prepped. She is smoother than the G650GS, and yes deserves considerably more respect. I rode both bikes and to me it was like a completely different day and a different bike thanks to some tips received here. Drew apologized and said he should have told me ahead of time that I would need to be in first pulling back in the way we came. No big deal it put me in a very similar situation to the one that created the drop and I did not freak out, had found what it takes and was all set.

Do I have a handful, absolutely. Am I proficient with it, never will be. But I am a lot more at ease now. In fact I was more comfortable on the RS than the 650, it's smoother and the suspension is a lot better. Will I run into problems yes, but that's why new riders need seat time, and that's why I'll be attending Intermediate and Advanced MSF classes as well as any classes I can get through BMW. I think the reality is I have a ton (understatement) of respect for this bike and know I need to ride it daily and need never to become complacent.

Thanks for the welcomes, tips and feedback everyone. As a noob, I hope to be a very safe noob even given the bike I am riding is capable of far more than I will ever ask her to do. I am sure I will be back with more questions, just the way I am, typical type A pain in the a$$ over analyzing everything."

noobs we all are each morning as we start our day.

Welcome to the noob warren! Hope you have many sMiles and posts about them!

;)

Took delivery of my 2004 BMW R1150RS w/EVO ABS Brakes on Saturday. It's Wednesday and did not ride, but still managed 200 non-highway miles. No record by BMW standards, but this is my first bike and I am feeling pretty good about it. The brakes are no longer an issue. I need a lot more miles before I attempt a full on panic stop with them, but I have practiced some extremely quick stops. I can cruise parking lots with the front brake now, of course the rear provides better stability making slow tight turns in a parking lot.

Throttle control has been good which I attribute to my MSF instructors tip of keeping my wrist below my knuckles. Without question the bikes power is significant. As I am a very new rider I am using it very cautiously. No riding in the wet yet and easy on the throttle in the curves, but certainly enough to start to enjoy cornering. I am working on smoother stop starts with less touch down. I do have my stops with a gentle left heel plant rolling to a flat left foot down pat.

Thanks for all the tips!

Drubery :bikes

Good Choice!

You obviously spent a lot of time on your decision.
I think you made a good choice but I'm prejudiced.
Take it slow and you'll grow to love that bike.
Enjoy!
:bikes too!

I've smiled, still a noob, but I've smiled!

Tom Baker is the most enthusiastic positive person here? Sorry Tom, no offense. Remind me to be cautious but also celebrate with me. We had solid downpours here Wednesday and light rain Thursday and since I took delivery of the bike last Saturday I have racked up 250+ beginner miles! Not to shabby (noob and working long hours) and what a neat way to get around :dance

I am more and more happy and comfortable (read not complacent) with the bike every day. Mind you I am watching everyone else out there, the road ahead, but all this attention and focus helps me escape the trials and tribulations we call reality, this BMW has helped to change that. Every different kind of road or traffic pattern is a new journey , is something different, nothing is ever the same twice. Thank you all once again for your support, cautions and otherwise. :brad

-Dennis

Back