• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New RTP Owner

Jim Rogers

Afternoon All,

As I posted in the New Member section, I have been riding off and on for a long time. This is my first BMW. So far, I just love it! But, as any newbie would, I have a couple/three questions.

I know my '00 RTP has a floating front break system. There is a bit of a rattle and some rubbing when I roll 'Hilda' out of the barn, backwards. I have read in some of the threads this is not a concern but I have also read of folks replacing the buttons (which seem to have gotten a tad pricey). Talked with the local dealer who gave her a thorough 12K physical immediately after she was delivered. He says "The discs will be below spec [on thickness] before those need replacing. You have a good one. I would ride it anywhere." Any comments?

I just installed a Cee Bailey #2 Euro Cut, +5.5". At 6'4", this puts the unit, in the full up position, just to where I can see over it. Went on an Interstate ride this morning and was very comfortable and quiet. However, I did notice a slight bit of buffeting around the top of my Arai SZ/m. Should I be concerned about the position for rain riding and get the +7.5"? [OBTW - any quality control issues previously reported seem to have been corrected. Mine went on in less than a conservative 10 mins., fitting perfectly.]

I would like to replace the day cases with regulars. There is a business on e-bay selling a set of OEM for R1100RT/R1150RT , without mounts, for $647.40. Will these fit my R1100RTP?

Thanks In Advance,

The front "brake" disc bobbins are rattling because they are worn, some side to side motion is ok, rotational movement is not.

Don't buy the OEM bobbins, replace with the ones from Motobins http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfinal.php?function=show&subs=278&title=BRAKE+DISCS+AND+BRAKE+PARTS

20393 STEEL BOBBINS WITH WASHERS & CIRCLIPS FOR FLOATING DISCS (MADE BY GRIMECA) TO REPLACE WORN BMW OEM BOBBINS. SOLD AS 1 DISC SET OF 12 IN BLACK STEEL FINISH. FOR 20333, 20334 20335 & 20331G DISCS ONLY. ?ú19.00

Works out to be about $80 plus shipping.

Afternoon All,

As I posted in the New Member section, I have been riding off and on for a long time. This is my first BMW. So far, I just love it! But, as any newbie would, I have a couple/three questions.

I know my '00 RTP has a floating front break system. There is a bit of a rattle and some rubbing when I roll 'Hilda' out of the barn, backwards. I have read in some of the threads this is not a concern but I have also read of folks replacing the buttons (which seem to have gotten a tad pricey). Talked with the local dealer who gave her a thorough 12K physical immediately after she was delivered. He says "The discs will be below spec [on thickness] before those need replacing. You have a good one. I would ride it anywhere." Any comments?

I just installed a Cee Bailey #2 Euro Cut, +5.5". At 6'4", this puts the unit, in the full up position, just to where I can see over it. Went on an Interstate ride this morning and was very comfortable and quiet. However, I did notice a slight bit of buffeting around the top of my Arai SZ/m. Should I be concerned about the position for rain riding and get the +7.5"? [OBTW - any quality control issues previously reported seem to have been corrected. Mine went on in less than a conservative 10 mins., fitting perfectly.]

I would like to replace the day cases with regulars. There is a business on e-bay selling a set of OEM for R1100RT/R1150RT , without mounts, for $647.40. Will these fit my R1100RTP?

Thanks In Advance,

Regarding the side case question, if it says it works on a RT, it will work on an RT-P. The crash bars don't get in the way of mounting the cases. You will find, however, that the regular and large lids (especially the large lids) won't open as far as the city case lids, as the crash bars do limit the distance the lids will travel.

I have a set of large lids that I can swap out with the city lids for touring, but for every-day commuting, I prefer the narrow size and ease of the city lids.

Thanks

Thanks to another RTP rider. I think I will order them today. As I don't have the bars on, should be just perfect. As for the city riding, I agree. I don't carry that much stuff between home and work but I think the larger cases will be just what I need for longer runs.

Congrats on the RTP purchase. I have had mine for about a year and put 6K miles on it. Runs like a champ with 71K on the odometer! Love every minute on it! Have fun! :thumb

Back