• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

(Brand) New(bie)

Sandhog

Hello everyone, Sandhog here. (what's a sandhog?) It's a nickname for members of my union local. We build tunnels, (water, sewer, subway), in NYC. Been in the business for 40 years come October. I've been riding (Harley Davidson) for 30 years but never knew what riding could offer until I rode an R1100RT in '97. WOW!!! Took me 12 years to buy a BMW, this one is an '86 K100RS with 27,000 original miles on it.
I just purchased a Clymer manual for it and hope to become well versed in BMW maintenance. As a Harley owner, I could and did completely disassemble the engine and re-assemble.
Much of my interest in the Harley was about lifestyle. I rode with a club in the '80's (not AMA). Since hitting the 50 mark (now 57 yrs. old) I'm more interested in the riding aspect, all my friends ride Harley Davidson and can't imagine what changed me. I guess they never rode a BMW. Anyway, I'm looking forward learning about BMW motor biking. Some day hope to own an airhead as well.

Sandhog

welcome Sandhog, from a fellow NYC union guy (teachers union, haha)

ever check out any of the NYC bike nights? (Ear Inn, Matchless, etc)??

Hey Sandhog, welcome to the Forum! there's a pretty good collection of folks down there in gotham who you will find on here as well.

Lot's of knowledge on the Flying Brick (K series) here on the forum and a lot of great people as well.

How about a picture of the ride? I almost bought a blue K100RS in 1987 and always regretted when I didn't. Still think it's a beuatiful bike.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions about this place, don't hesitate to ask and once again, welcome!

Much of my interest in the Harley was about lifestyle. I rode with a club in the '80's (not AMA). Since hitting the 50 mark (now 57 yrs. old) I'm more interested in the riding aspect, all my friends ride Harley Davidson and can't imagine what changed me. I guess they never rode a BMW. Anyway, I'm looking forward learning about BMW motor biking. Some day hope to own an airhead as well.

Sandhog

Welcome, Sandhog. I've been through the "change" too. Still have the HD softail but it's getting just enough use to keep the battery charged. Once I experienced cornering without dragging parts I was hooked. Wore out a set of floorboards in the corners riding in the Smoky Mtns. and decided to try something that handles -- haven't looked back (much). There's lots to learn and enjoy about this site and forum. Glad to have another convert -- there are many here.

Welcome Sandhog

You are probabaly one of the few members that works 800 feet below NYC. That is a very interesting work that benefits many members of our society. Are you working on switching the main water feed from the Catskills this year ?

There are few H-D riders on the forum that moved to BMW for comfort. For me the BMWs came in my size better than H-D forward controls.

All the best

I'm currently working on the 7 Line extension @ 34th & 11th but soon will be moving up to Grand Central, actually beneath it to build the station for the Long Island Rail Road coming out of Queens (East Side Access). Four more years and I pull the pin @ 62

I'm currently working on the 7 Line extension @ 34th & 11th but soon will be moving up to Grand Central, actually beneath it to build the station for the Long Island Rail Road coming out of Queens (East Side Access). Four more years and I pull the pin @ 62

oh sweet, they ARE going ahead with that, i'd heard it had been put on the back burner. i suppose, like the 2nd ave subway tunnels that were, until recently, vacant for 35 years, its not done till that first 7 goes rolling through. it'll be nice for jaunts to hells kitchen and my once yearly trip to the javits for the cycle world show. keep up the good work.:thumb

Welcome Sandhog. :wave

Born in Milwaukee and growing up in the area, to many, motorcycle is synonymous with HD

I ride my old Beemers and smile, I like Bikes, but I'm cheap.:ha

Fellow Northerner

Welcome Sandhog. :wave

Born in Milwaukee and growing up in the area, to many, motorcycle is synonymous with HD

I ride my old Beemers and smile, I like Bikes, but I'm cheap.:ha

I hail from Stambaugh, Michigan in the Upper Penninsula. I have a couple of acres about thirteen miles from Eagle River, Wisconsin. God's country to be sure. I'll be retiring in 4 1/2 years. The plan is Florida in winter, the U.P. in summer.

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

Youper you say? What a great part of the country. When we suffer from the 2 H's here (hazy, hot and humid) going north is a wonderful thing.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Back