• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Illinois IPass on a motorcycle .... does yers werk?

kstoo

Huckleberry, Gilera &Toad
I just got a job :thumb in Rockford IL and I go through the Beloit plaza everyday on the tollway. I have been taking my R100RS and today I rode my R75/6. When I check my IPass activity online it has only triggered once in the last couple of weeks. I checked the transponder by going through a manual lane lasternight and it worked. On either bike I have the IPass on top in the map pocket facing forward just like it would be in a cage window.
I have emailed IPass, I have talked with them on the phone. They don't seem to deal with motorcycles and can't help other than "Why don't you just go through the manual lane everyday?" ... because I paid for an IPass, that's why!
So, my question is, has anyone else had difficulty with triggering the IPass automatic lanes and what do you do about it? Am I using this incorrectly? How is yours working? Hints?

TIA

Whats that sayin' about a *gift horse* or somtin'???

Your license plate should be registered with the IPASS people,don't worry 'bout...

Take the $$$ and use it for gas!!:dance :dance :dance

Your license plate should be registered with the IPASS people,don't worry 'bout...

I read up about "vTolls"; if my license plate is registered they charge it to my IPass even if it doesn't trigger but I don't know if I can risk the chance of getting any violations. That can get expensive and unreasonable. What is my sure thing? Come on ... !

As long as the plate is registered on your account, you have NOTHING to fear. That's the way it works, you are doing nothing wrong at all. It's up to IPass to assess the toll, if they don't it's their fault, not yours. The vTolls can take awhile to show up on your account, it isn't immediate like the normal tolls, someone has to look at the picture and decide who owes what, if you are a member (and the plate is registered) you won't get any type of citation, just the normal toll.
I did forget my IPass once with my pickup (same toll booth, S Beloit going to Rockford A/P) and they never did charge me, I looked for months afterward for the vToll and they never did it nor have I ever heard anything about it. My truck plate IS registered with them.
Gilly

Come to think of it, sometimes even a normal "pass" through the IPass Open Road Tolling lanes will still take a number of days to show up even with everything working nominally. If you just went through yesterday or last night, I wouldn't be all that surprised to not see it on your account yet. It seems like trips through the manual lanes are pretty immediate, but not so ORT lanes.

Ain't that construction a hoot??

Gilly

I read up about "vTolls"; if my license plate is registered they charge it to my IPass even if it doesn't trigger but I don't know if I can risk the chance of getting any violations. That can get expensive and unreasonable. What is my sure thing? Come on ... !
That is how it is supposed to work. Registered and they charge you. You can get lucky by staying in the center, So I have been told.

Thanks for the responses. I needed reassurance, I guess. IPass won't just come out and say that they are not prepared for motorcyclists or that that vToll is the policy. I guess that I am a little paranoid because my last run-in with the Illinois tollway was in the hundreds of dollars. Somebody borrowed my car license plate and ran a bunch of tolls.

If the unit is over 2 years old, replace it. The weak batteries will cause this. It honestly has nothing to do wih being a bike. Mine works every time. They will argue with you at the belvidere oasis but demand a new one...I know, I get the fight every time. A88hats....just do your job....

I have been sent violation notice even when registered. ?
Just called and they voided it.

Sometimes my pass doesn't read (in various states) if I go through the gate too quickly. Location is same as yours, in the tankbag.

Thanks for the responses. I needed reassurance, I guess. IPass won't just come out and say that they are not prepared for motorcyclists or that that vToll is the policy. I guess that I am a little paranoid because my last run-in with the Illinois tollway was in the hundreds of dollars. Somebody borrowed my car license plate and ran a bunch of tolls.

I got charged even when I was in Florida at the time:laugh

My fault. I register the rental cars for work, and forgot to remove one!:eek

Fortunately that car only went to IL once...It wasn't worth the call to IL Tollway to get it removed. I try to be cautious now

Mine has always worked in the top of the tankbag.

I remember reading something a long while ago that the transponders need to be close to a large amount of metal to act as a ground plane or something. I guess that's why the instructions say to mount it on a car windshield within a half inch or so of the edge.

You might want to check to see if maybe your mapcase is too far above the tank?

Chuck

Mine has ceased to function in the chest pocket of my riding jacket. I refuse to affix it to the bike, and don't use a tankbag for around the city. As long as I can produce it for the nice officer, if demanded (and I have it legally registered to my bikes) - it's not my problem if it costs them way too much time/labor to actually collect the toll. IMHO, the wear and tear our bikes cause to the roadway is negligible, and they should just scrap the whole idea of charging motorcyclists tolls.

FWIW, my wife received a "non-compliance" ticket on a rental car she forgot to add to her account before her I-pass was not read at some point. They tracked it back to her, but it took 2 - 3 months for the paperwork to show up in the mail. So keep watching....

How much was the ticket?
Also did they deduct the toll (from IPass acc't)plus ticket her?
I imagine you can't really use IPass on a rental car UNLESS you can add the rental car plate to your acc't. OH I guess you can call them on the phone and do it, and lots of people can access the net on their phones and such (I'm still sorta "home based" on my computering)
Gilly

Back