• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Remember not to bring________cause you don't need it

redclfco

Same idea, but speaks reality.

How many of us have brought that extra coat, about 5 times more coffee than we need, tools that would serve best if left at home in the tool box, my list can go on and on...but my first official Remember not to bring________cause you don't need it has to be t shirts!

Like a good boy scout, I bring changes for the undergarments for each day, and a couple to spare, but I also lug along clothing that I NEVER wear, and the worst is shirts! What, am I going to a fancy dinner party? Why o why do I lug a bunch of casual shirts? What, am I looking to find a date? Impress you bunch of goobers? What makes me think I have to lug all these collared shirts, pressed dockers, extra shoes for anyway!?

I always buy at least one and sometimes more t shirts when I go on a trip, so "I got to thinkin "why not just leave the shirts at home, gives me a fool proof excuse to buy some at the rally, and then wear them right out of the bag?! Almost every short term trip I take (short term defined as 7 days and under) I always pack enough clothing to survive a hurricane or blizzard! This must stop now, I say!

Only this year in TN, with the proclivity of spilling BBQ sauce on everything I own, maybe I will bring just one spare:blah

What do you always pack, but never use?

As someone who has done a lot of backpacking, I know how to pack only "neccessities." I find I can not overload my bike too much, so I ....do not.

Your idea for purchasing T-shirts and wearing them "right out of the package" as needed, is brillant!

I always bring my oldest shirts with the intention of tossing them after use -
Hard to do after I "bond" with them during the trip :heart

Yes, I had that problem too. But in the last few years I've acquired shirts and pants made from the various wicking man-made materials. They are extremely comfortable under riding gear, whether it's hot, cold, humid or dry.

And the material doesn't stain easily, so when you slop some chili on your shirt (like I am bound to do), just wipe off the solid parts and then wet and daub the stain. Don't be afraid to really get it wet, either, because it will dry in an hour or less no matter how wet it was.

That's the other great thing, these clothes can be washed in a sink (with shampoo if necessary), rinsed, squeezed to damp and left to air dry in a few hours. I'm leaving for 4 weeks in Europe soon and I will have 5 shirts and 4 pants of this type with me. Oh, did I mention that they pack a lot smaller than jeans or even Dockers? Those pants and shirts, along with socks, underwear and my laptop bag will all comfortably fit into one saddlebag. The other one gets my dop kit, camp shoes and electric jacket liner. There's plenty of room left over for whatever else I feel I need to carry on a trip.

Tire Repair Kit, Multi tool, Brake Caliber lock, First aid kit, extra valve stem, points, plugs, condenser, extra cables for throttle and front brake. All things I carry and have never needed and hope to never need but will continue to carry. As for clothes never take cotton always under armor and wash it out and wear until dry. My jacket liner always serves as my coat and I almost always need it. Of course some of these things I don't take when riding the 1150 gs but for the /5 at 40 years old I feel better with these things on the bike.

Brett Endress
Altoona PA

Tire Repair Kit, Multi tool, Brake Caliber lock, First aid kit, extra valve stem, points, plugs, condenser, extra cables for throttle and front brake. All things I carry and have never needed and hope to never need but will continue to carry.

Sure, but that's just simple defense against Murphy's Law!

As someone who has done a lot of backpacking...jamesdunn

I have to say the same thing: I've backpacked for many years, I've got to the point where a 3 day weekend pack is down to 28 pounds. Everytime you go out, you figure out an item you don't need, and you sure as hell don't want to carry an ounce more than is necessary.

So my touring experience has been that I use it all, except contingency stuff.

In a few days, I'm going to Africa for 2 weeks, and all my stuff is going into one 26" duffel bag.

Last edited:
And the material doesn't stain easily, so when you slop some chili on your shirt (like I am bound to do), just wipe off the solid parts and then wet and daub the stain.

My experience differs. The majority of the stain comes out, but nasty 'shadows' never seem to. I've been fighting with one stain for almost two years.

But overall, I still very much like these garments and they are mostly what I wear not only on the road but at home too.

In the last few years I've acquired shirts and pants made from the various wicking man-made materials. They are extremely comfortable under riding gear, whether it's hot, cold, humid or dry. Don't be afraid to really get it wet, either, because it will dry in an hour or less no matter how wet it was.

Oh, did I mention that they pack a lot smaller than jeans or even Dockers?

+1

These have become our standard touring wear -- easy to clean, dries quickly and best of all they take up so little room in the bags.

Condoms

There are not many women who are interested in hanging out with several hunderd men while they stand around in a field talking about oil, countersteering and tire wear.

Yeah no jeans. In hot weather they are too warm and get them wet and you are in trouble.

To that end, specifically what have you acquired? I am interested in your choice(s).

...what have you acquired...Wezul

For long pants, I pack one pair of synthetic hiking pants from my local outfitter, Mountain Equipment Co-op. In the U.S., you could get them at any outfitter type retailer, such as REI.

They are really light, and pack down small.

They look a bit techy, but that's not a problem at rallies....:D

Convertible trousers

I bought a pair of "fishing pants"at a local sporting goods store, the kind where the legs can be unzipped to turn them into shorts, very light weight, roll up into a tight bundle. Wish I'd thought of that years ago.
Cheers,
Ian :drink

Like the zip-off pants. Start the trip out in stuff I can pitch, even though Mom always told you to have your good underwear on just in case. Still carry a tool kit but you can't hardly fix these new fancy motorcycles. Always have my old rain jacket in the tank bag, my outfit is Gortex. I quess I carry to much.

Books. Never bring books to a rally. You will never find time to read all the stuff they give you at registration more less "man of Lamancha"you brought with you all the way from timbuctu!

Condoms

There are not many women who are interested in hanging out with several hunderd men while they stand around in a field talking about oil, countersteering and tire wear.

Well, if you don't meet that special someone, they can be cut and used with some glue to repair a damaged carb diaphragm on an Airhead. :p

Back