• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Minnesota to Johnson City Route Suggestions

redclfco

All~

I have still not made up my mind on how to make a straight run to the Rally since I can't go till noon on Thursday, and want to arrive Friday. Looking for suggestions on the best route that involves slab and speed with minimum road construction from southern Minnesota to Johnson City.

However,

Thankfully I am able to come back home riding a bit more relaxed pace and I'm looking for routes that offer the scenic view and/or spots of culinary "can't miss" heading back to Minnesota.

Thanks in advance for any routes you guys might have stored away in your history!

Dale

Ooh, ooh pick me! I have got one!

You will really have to fly though.
ForDale.jpg

:hide

Per MS Street and Trips, the shortest distance (1043 miles) is through downtown Chicago, but I wouldn't recommend that!

The route I recommend is about 1078 miles. Starting at I-35E and I-94 -
I-94 east to I-39 South to Rockford, IL (about 325 miles)
Continue south on I-39 to I-74 at Normal, IL (450 total miles)
I-74 east to I-465 South at Indianapolis (613 total miles)
I-465 South down to I-74 East (633 total miles)
I-74 east to I-275 west at Cincinnati (717 total miles)
I-275 west to I-71/75 south (742 total miles)
I-75 south to I-640 north-east around Knoxville (980 total miles)
I-640 north-east to I-40 east (988 total miles)
I-40 east to I-81 north-east (1016 total miles)
I-81 north-east to I-26 south (1073 total miles)
I-26 south to exit 13 (Gray) (1077 total miles)
County 75 north and follow the Beemers!

As far as construction goes, the "permanent" construction zone going into Rockford hasn't been a problem for me since the backups have been after the I-39 exit. What slowed me down the most was the lines to pay the tolls.

I suspect the biggest predictable issue with this routing is the twenty miles on the I-465 bypass around Indy, which can be pretty hectic during morning rush hours. If you can't make it around Indy on Thursday night, leave extra early on Friday morning.

I can't provide hints for scenic rides or good eats on the return trip. I'm planning an historic tour of the Lincoln Trail from Hodgenville, KY to Springfield, IL on my trip back. It may be hard to believe, but I've got that trip mapped out to the tenth of a mile, too!;)

I 74 has some construction around Danville Ill. I 465 southbound on the west side of Indy. Headed south to Cinncy is in pretty good shape. Some repairs south of Lexington Ky.
Headed back north go thru lexington and head northwest to Frankfort. Pick up US 421 north and that is a real curvey ride to Madison Ind. You could over night at
Madison by the bridge at motel Riverboat Inn. Nice river view with small bar and
music on the patio. Head north on SR 7 to Columbus and pick up I65 northbound.

This is in my neighborhood so I ride the roads.
Have a safe trip

I 74 has some construction around Danville Ill. I 465 southbound on the west side of Indy. Headed south to Cinncy is in pretty good shape. Some repairs south of Lexington Ky.
Headed back north go thru lexington and head northwest to Frankfort. Pick up US 421 north and that is a real curvey ride to Madison Ind. You could over night at
Madison by the bridge at motel Riverboat Inn. Nice river view with small bar and
music on the patio. Head north on SR 7 to Columbus and pick up I65 northbound.

This is in my neighborhood so I ride the roads.
Have a safe trip
We were going down 1 ( I think ) from Danville to Clarksville. Is that clear?

What slowed me down the most was the lines to pay the tolls.

Tip - if you don't have an I-pass, cruise right through the I-Pass lanes and make note of when and where you did it. You have 7 days to pay online. Ten minutes on the net to save the nuisance of stopping.

294 bypass around Chicago has been really good - even in the a.m. all the way down to I-80, then west. That's the route I'll b taking.

Back