• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Great lakes, Canada & TN rally..

tvgal2000

I love to lurk!
\I'm in Milwaukee and am planning on going to the National Rally and decided to ta:thumb ke "the long way round". My plan is to go north to Duluth and ride along the northern edge of the Great Lakes - Superior, Huron, Ontario, then south through NY, PA, MD, VA, etc..... I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or favorite routes I might be interested in.

I'm planning on camping mostly - should I have any particular concerns (other than common sense!) about being a woman riding alone?

thanks in advance! :help

Got a passport? As of June 1st, it is required. A Nexus card will do instead and is the better option if you are just travelling in North America.

I have travelled that route alone many times. No problems at all.

You might want to check out Aerostitch in Duluth. They are very welcoming, but it can be hard on your wallet.

I recommend the ferry from Manitoulin to Tobermory. Bring you own tie downs, but it is a great ferry ride, much cheaper than the Lake Michigan ferries and the food is better. The usual first on, first off setup.

If you are coming through before the 10th of July, PM me and you can stay at my place, near Hamilton, ON. Sometimes a break from camping is welcome. After the 10th, I'm enroute to TN and will be watching for you on the road.

Holly

Holly, thanks for the info! Yeah, a trip to Duluth gets expensive -- I was at the Very Boring Rally II last fall and ended up with a one piece 'Stich! (but I loved the shopping!)

Once I figure out my dates, I'll let you know if I'm going to be in your area before the 10th -- I'm appreciative of the invitation!!:thumb

Yes, I succumbed to the lure of the stich at the rally, and bought a Darien.

It was a great scenic ride across the top of Superior, not so great on the return trip across the bottom.

Have fun.............Rod.

A buddy and I are heading to Nova Scotia in a week and were told we needed a canadian insurance ID card from our insurance carrier. I called progressive and they said that that was correct. They're mailing me one that should get here just before we leave. I'm not sure if this 100% correct but I figured better to have than to have not.... :banghead

If you've already been to Duluth already.........
One option I would mention is instead go straight up through WI and to Copper Harbor (Keeweenaw Peninsula area of the U.P.) and also possibly Paradise MI (Shipwreck Museum), then over to the Soo Locks and over to Manitoulin Isl., then down to S Baymouth as mentioned before and the ferry to Tobermory.
I did the trip aroun Lake Superior too, all the little "Circle Route Tour" signs, etc and was OK too, if you've never done it. Mainly I can say I've done it and yeah some scenery was nice. I am still kind of struck that my fav parts were Duluth up to the Canadian border, and also Thunder Bay. If you do the Circle Route, be sure to checkk out Kakabekka Falls just West of Thunder Bay, worth the trip over, I camped there.
Good tip on a place to stay is the Bavarian Inn (of course!) in Bruce Mines ONT, nice little German restaraunt and motel all in one, very bike friendly place. A half hour or so east of the Soo on 17.
Gilly

Thanks!

for all the suggestions! I appreciate the info - and will have to check out some of the sights on the way!

And thanks for the reminder about the insurance card -- I'll call my company right away!

:p

Don't know where you plan to cross into New York from Ontario, but just be aware that the international bridge at Cornwall, Ontario/Rooseveltown, New York has been closed since the end of May because of a dispute with the local Mohawk Indian band there. I suspect you won't be going that far east, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Thanks for the heads up!

Mark,
Thanks for the heads up - I was thinking of heading that far east -- I'll have to go back to the road atlas (never a bad thing!) and look at some options!

Mark,
Thanks for the heads up - I was thinking of heading that far east -- I'll have to go back to the road atlas (never a bad thing!) and look at some options!

I'd suggest you have a look at the bridge at Prescott ON/Ogdensburg NY, which is west of Cornwall ON. Just don't be surprised at the metal grate bridge. If you go east of Cornwall, you'll be in Quebec.

Back