• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another Colorado route question (Durango area)

B

BrianVivian

We'll be in the Durango area (Vallecito to be exact) next weekend and would like to do the following rides. I would appreciate comments from any locals:

Friday: Vallecito to Ouray via Durango then Silverton
Saturday: Vallecito to Creede via Pagosa springs
Sunday: Vallecito to Chama New Mexico
Moday: Local area stuff...no plans

As you can see, each trip is pretty short and I'd like to keep the total for any given day to less than 300 miles to allow for touristy stuff. The wife is not a fan of ultra-twisty roads (Oak Creek Canyon in Arizona is the limit of her tolerance) but won't mind if there's something to take her mind off the road (like the entire state of Colorado ;-) )

Well I'm not a local, but ridden all of those roads several times. Every one you mentioned is about as good as it gets. The Million Dollar Hwy from Durango to Ridgeway is spectacular! It is somewhat challenging coming down into Silverton which I only bring up since you mentioned your wife being gun shy about twisties. Still incredible and I would put that leg Durango to Ridgway as a "Top Ten" US ride for sure.

There appears to be a large public pool at the north end of Ouray so perhaps bringing a swim suit could be a good option though I've always been passing through. Also, if you continue past Ridgway a few miles, there is this incredible state park worth the extra few miles to see the lake.

Hwy 160 which leads over to Pagosa Springs is the least favorite part with generally a fair amount of traffic, but at least gets you directly over to Pagosa Springs .

Pagosa Springs to Creede is beautiful and the entire Hwy149 all the way up to Vulcan is awesome though too far for a two up day ride. Chama over to Tres Piedras and into Taos is one of my favorite runs though have always did it coming from Taos.

The scenery is breathtaking all over and the roads are excellent so anywhere you go will be great.

Below is a shot from "Downtown" Ouray

Attachments

• Ouray.jpg
    Ouray.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 120
Shot of the state park at Ridgway

Taken from the Hwy 550. The snow on mountains was in July.

Attachments

• ridgway park b.jpg
    ridgway park b.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 119
WOW! Looks like this is going to be a great trip. Thanks for the info

Just a thought

Here is a plan for you. Have your wife ride the Durango Silverton steam train one way to Silverton. One of the most breath taking rides I have ever taken. You ride the twistes to Silverton the way you like to ride and meet her at the station in Silverton where she rides on to the destination with you.
Gives you a chance to ride at a faster pace gives her a beautiful, peaceful, relaxing ride. Rides neither one of you will forget!

:thumb

Here is a plan for you. Have your wife ride the Durango Silverton steam train one way to Silverton. One of the most breath taking rides I have ever taken. You ride the twistes to Silverton the way you like to ride and meet her at the station in Silverton where she rides on to the destination with you.
Gives you a chance to ride at a faster pace gives her a beautiful, peaceful, relaxing ride. Rides neither one of you will forget!

:thumb

Errrr,ahhhh, OK. Great suggestion, but that'll go over like a turd in a pool ;-)

We had a great time and really did NOT want to come home. The roads were perfect and we only had a bit of rain coming home from Silverton on Friday.

Here's the bike somewhere between Durango and Silverton:

Attachments

• Colorado 028.jpg
    Colorado 028.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 91
You have to admit, riding those roads on an RT is the way to go. They don't run out of breath on those hills. What's the deal with your top case? Haven't seen a large one in all over black unless that's a custom match to your bike and the photo makes it look black..

Would love to see more pics if you have some to share. Was curious about Vallecito as I see it's near a lake.

You have to admit, riding those roads on an RT is the way to go. They don't run out of breath on those hills. What's the deal with your top case? Haven't seen a large one in all over black unless that's a custom match to your bike and the photo makes it look black..

Would love to see more pics if you have some to share. Was curious about Vallecito as I see it's near a lake.

Here's a better picture of the top case. It's about 1/2 a shade too dark.

Attachments

• TopCase.jpg
    TopCase.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 75

Vallecito is actually Vallecito Lake (more a reservior than a lake). It's VERY nice back in there and the RV park we stayed at is one of the best we've seen. Here's the bike by the lake:

Here are some more pictures, but be warned, they're boring:

http://picasaweb.google.com/CactusBasher/Colorado#

Attachments

• DSC01049.JPG
    DSC01049.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 73
Back