• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

12000 mile scheduled maintanence...do my own?

B

bmdubyou

NOw that Im past the 12,000 mile mark should I be making an appt for the sched maint or can I just do it myself? what do I need to do? I dont have a manual...perhaps it would be wise to purchase one. I dont live conveniently close to a dealer so would it be in my best interest to do my own maint?

what type of bike is this for? i'm guessing not the airhead.

here is a service list for a 1100 series oilhead, almost identical to most of the 1150 lists with some exceptions.

decide your comfort level with regards to the various procedures and get wrenching! nothing on the 12K mile service is too difficult.

http://www.ironhorsemotorcycles.com/images/Service/MaintR1100.pdf

duh!

yeah, I should've mentioned the bike! '02 GS Adv
my last Clymers only covers airheads. Thanks for the link!

service

Oil and filter change. Change fluid in final drive and transmission. Adjust valves and if you feel like it, do a throttle sync. You can do everything yourself in less than an hour if you are experienced. Else, figure 2 hours. You would need a torque wrench for the drain/fill plugs (if you are anal), and feeler guages, wrench, and allen wrench for the valves. A twinmax or carb stix or carbtune or a homemade manometer for the TBS.
Not a biggie. Check BMWRT.com to see if there is going to be a tech day near you or if someone would be willing to help you drink your beer while coaching you in the fine arts.

You still have a bit of homework to do (since some of it doesn't apply to your bike) but the guys over at ADVRider.com have you covered: http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/OilheadMaintenance.pdf

Go to BeemerBoneyard.com and order up a 12k kit for you bike. It comes in the mail. Read through the manual. If you want to be really, really, Type A- read this: http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/OVADv2.2.pdf

Make sure you have the tools. Ask any questions here or invite an experienced friend over to answer questions (and drink you beer) then have at it.

Great...thanks for the awesome advice and links! I should be getting closer to doing this now that Im @13K.

Back