• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

LED dash lights

axlray13

Hey Guys,
Can you really get 194 replacement bulbs in LED and just plug 'em into the slot in the instrument cluster on my 82 R100? It would be amazing to actually see my RPM's and speed at night. Seems too simple and that's why I'm hesitating on spending on spending almost $9 a bulb. But if it's really that simple, I'm on it.
Ray

LED Inst. Cluster Bulbs

Hey Guys,
Can you really get 194 replacement bulbs in LED and just plug 'em into the slot in the instrument cluster on my 82 R100? It would be amazing to actually see my RPM's and speed at night. Seems too simple and that's why I'm hesitating on spending on spending almost $9 a bulb. But if it's really that simple, I'm on it.
Ray

Ray,

I tried them on my RS. This was about four years ago. I was very disappointed.

They did not make nearly enough light - I couldn't read the speedo & tach at all. I took 'em back out.

Unless the ones they are selling now are a lot brighter than mine were, I'd forget it.

A better solution: obtain the same style bulb with a higher wattage. They are "out there."

Good luck! :thumb

Bulbs

The person that won the "R " bike at the National Rally In Wyoming put in LED's in that bike and the lights work great. As soon as I start replacing bulbs I'm going with the LED's. But my understanding is you can not put in a LED bulb in the Generator (red) spot because that bulb actually completes the circuit and putting in a LED will not complete this. You would have to find someone who knows more about that. I will ask Gene, he is the expert when it comes to electrics on these bikes. Kevin:brow

I put them on the '88 K bike and you can see everything! Also installed them in the gas/temp pods which equate to the tach/voltmeter on an airhead. Same briliant effect.

Just wish they were availalbe in Red/Orange like the bimmers. Was told green only.

I put them on the '88 K bike and you can see everything! Also installed them in the gas/temp pods which equate to the tach/voltmeter on an airhead. Same briliant effect.

Where did you get them? I need #194 bulb replacements...

Ebay..there's a guy selling LED bulb kits for various bikes. Never thought about the airheads...I put 800 watt alternators on them so I never have a lighting problem:dance

Back