• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Headlight modulator

I do not like modulators...at all!
When you are coming at me with your modulator on, I turn on my highs (and my HIDs if I'm on my bike) to express my displeasure. ...and I'm a life-long cyclist. Just think how PO'd some of the rest of the public gets.

Headlight modulators are legal. Turning on high beams and HID lights in the face of oncoming traffic is illegal.

I suggest you trade your illegal, unethical, unsafe and spiteful actions on the roads for idle banter here in the forum. If you really want to do something about the menace of headlight modulators, write your U.S. Representative and U.S. Senators as it's a Federal Law that says all states must permit headlight modulators :nyah

Yes they are legal.

However, perhaps when you are directly behind another bike rider it would be courteous to turn it off, if they find it offensive?

Like many things in life, having the right to do something doesn't mean it's always the right thing to do.

Never had a headlight modulator on any of my 5 bikes, but I've seen plenty of them.

They aren't the slightest bit bothersome to me. The headlight modulates; what's the big deal? It's not like high beams or driving lights, which clearly do interfere with others' ability to see.

And they sure do seem to make the bike more noticeable, at least in my layperson's opinion. Don't ask me to provide more definitive evidence that they work. I can't.

Do they make one immune from being overlooked? Hardly. But as with fluorescent green attire and white helmets, if folks think they help, and they also realize that they must still ride as if they are invisible, I don't see the big problem.

Note: I do have a tennis ball green vest, but I never use it, and my primary helmet is lily-white.

What's a good oil to use, and can anyone recommend a good tire?

Never had a headlight modulator on any of my 5 bikes, but I've seen plenty of them.

They aren't the slightest bit bothersome to me. The headlight modulates; what's the big deal? It's not like high beams or driving lights, which clearly do interfere with others' ability to see.

And they sure do seem to make the bike more noticeable, at least in my layperson's opinion. Don't ask me to provide more definitive evidence that they work. I can't.

Do they make one immune from being overlooked? Hardly. But as with fluorescent green attire and white helmets, if folks think they help, and they also realize that they must still ride as if they are invisible, I don't see the big problem.

Note: I do have a tennis ball green vest, but I never use it, and my primary helmet is lily-white.

What's a good oil to use, and can anyone recommend a good tire?

You asking for an oil thread? :laugh:laugh:laugh

You hit the nail on the head: They are not bothersome TO YOU. However, others find them to be so.

I have a couple of good "used" tires in the garage if you are interested in them. :whistle

.... On one ride our friend was leading and the cars ahead of us started pulling off the road. they thought emergency units were behind them.

so explain to me how that is a bad thing? less traffic in front of me is always preferred!

i've got a modulator (hi-beam) on my KLR. The lights on that really suck- they're not even as good as my old airheads- but people clearly notice the modulating, and as a result i get very few intrusions into my ROW.

My R11S has HIDs, and those sure get noticed too. either that or folks in the mntns of CO are very courteous, as the last time i went for a daytime ride i had at least 6 cars pull over rather than stay in front of me. (might have just been courteous peeps, as the riding was all on curvy roads, and maybe they just figgered that i wanted to be ahead of them. they figgered right, so i had no complaints.)

However, perhaps when you are directly behind another bike rider it would be courteous to turn it off, if they find it offensive?

How would they let you know? :scratch
Just pass them... Then the cars will pull over for both of ya! :laugh

I need to get one.

Back