• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Headlight modulator

Well,,,,relatively plug and play. I know in the case of my RT it wasn't too difficult. The modulator box has the appropriate terminations on the wires to plug into the headlamp bulb assembly. But, you must find a suitable ground connection and route the daylight photocell sensor wire to a suitable place on the bike. I had to make one hole in the back of my headlamp cover in order to route the daylight sensor. I believe their instructions wanted to mount the box outside of the headlight and route the three wires to the highbeam inside.

I was able to find a ground on one of the metal bulb frames inside the headlight housing, too.

You can see details with photos here:

Your knuckles aren't nearly bloody enough for having been reaching around the back of the headlight area!

Hyperlites on a R1200GS

I went with the Hyperlites White on the bushguard on my R1200GS. I tried to attach a photo, but don't think it worked. The following link should get you there.

dsc0115tvu.jpg

I run motolights on my RT for that triangle effect. I don't care for modulators. we have one Gentleman that rides with our group, that has a Headlight Modulator hooked up to the High beam on his Goldwing Trike. We politely ask him to turn it off while riding in a group...

I run motolights on my RT for that triangle effect. I don't care for modulators. we have one Gentleman that rides with our group, that has a Headlight Modulator hooked up to the High beam on his Goldwing Trike. We politely ask him to turn it off while riding in a group...

That's why I don't like riding in groups - too many self-appointed experts who think they know better than me what's safe for me and my ride :nyah

That's why I don't like riding in groups - too many self-appointed experts who think they know better than me what's safe for me and my ride :nyah

I understand where your coming from. the thing is , if our friend had hooked his modulator to the low beam it wouldn't be so bad. a constant flashing in our rear view mirrors is very distracting. On one ride our friend was leading and the cars ahead of us started pulling off the road. they thought emergency units were behind them. Modulators do draw attention, no doubt about that, just sometimes the wrong kind. :fight

And that is why I won't ride with someone that has a Modulator turned on. IMHO, they are just a pain in the butt. Can't stand the damn flashing. Doesn't matter if I am on the bike or in the car or van. I find them just annoying. Especially annoying in my side view mirrors.

Was on a ride last fall, Local Toy Run. There was about 8 bikes out of 200 that had modulators. Once the ride started, those bikes all ended up at the very front, as everyone just slowed, pulled over and waved them to go ahead. Nobody wanted the damn flashing lights in their mirrors all the way. When we got back to our BBQ site, many of the riders approached the Modulator group and asked them to next time "Just turn them off for the ride." One guy said that he would not ride without his modulator, so was told not to come on the ride next year. Guy was shocked and felt insulted. The ride organizer said that if you want to ride with this group, then you have to abide by the rules of the group. Makes perfect sense to me.

As to safety of riding in a group (parade style) with the modulator on. Hell, if they can't see 200+ bikes of all shapes and sizes coming down the rode in a parade, then they sure as heck aren't going to notice your flashing headlight.

And that is why I won't ride with someone that has a Modulator turned on. IMHO, they are just a pain in the butt. Can't stand the damn flashing. Doesn't matter if I am on the bike or in the car or van. I find them just annoying. Especially annoying in my side view mirrors.
Snippage..

I see a disconnect in your statement above - and below. Above - you obviously notice the modulator - it annoys you. Below - it can't be seen?
As to safety of riding in a group (parade style) with the modulator on. Hell, if they can't see 200+ bikes of all shapes and sizes coming down the rode in a parade, then they sure as heck aren't going to notice your flashing headlight.

No, you are reading something else into it. I am not talking about being seen by car drivers. I am talking about the other riders around you in a group.

I will not ride with someone with a modulator because it annoys the heck out of me. Sure I see it, how the heck can't I see it, flashing in my mirror constantly. Sorry, I don't want the distraction. I don't want to look in my mirror and get half blinded by some annoying flash of light that really should not be there. How well do you see after looking into the sun, for even a fraction of a second? Just imagine the sun in your mirror flashing away at you.

As to the fool that will not turn his modulator off while in a parade of 200+ bikes, what is his/her/it's problem? In that large a group, everybody get's seen. He/she/it does not need to be flashing away annoying the other riders. All it is going to do is flash in somebody's mirror just at the wrong time and that person will end up in an accident. All because the fool's headlight is flashing away.

Sorry, I just don't like them and think they should be made illegal. Nothing you, or anyone else can say will cause me to change my mind. Flashing lights should be left to emergency vehicles.

My thoughts would be out of courtesy...If you are not the lead dog...turn off the modulator. If in front,by all means do your thing. If you ride ALONE...so be it

Do not like modulators.

I do not like modulators...at all!

When you are coming at me with your modulator on, I turn on my highs (and my HIDs if I'm on my bike) to express my displeasure. ...and I'm a life-long cyclist. Just think how PO'd some of the rest of the public gets.

I think we do motorcycling a disservice when we blast loud pipes and blind other road users.

My theory is that any accident I get in is my fault. This puts the responsibility in my seat where it belongs. On a moto, I am small and can adjust my position on the roadway in ways that a cage cannot. And I can adjust my awareness 5 cars ahead and 3 cars behind and heighten my defensive actions.

I often skip left-hand turns because they are too dangerous. As a friend said once, 'I don't want to be a stupid exhibit!'.

I don't like them and agree with others, they should be illegal.

My .02 cents....
Ride fast, ride safe.
Steve Miller
Oregon

Well - its certainly your right to not like them, but there are people who don't like helmets, despite their proven record of improving safety. Would calling for helmets to be illegal be a reasonable thing to do?

Please don't deny those of us who DO use modulators the right to use them because of your dislikes. And feel free to turn on all your lights and what are probably illegal HIDs - it really doesn't bother me at all, and it will make you more conspicuous.

My theory is that any accident I get in is my fault. This puts the responsibility in my seat where it belongs.

Some theory. Insurance Co must love you.
Tell that to the cellphone/texting/makeup applying/coffee drinking driver in the car coming at you at 65+ mph.

**Note to self: Do not ride w/ Stevenmi. He won't make left turns. :whistle

Stevenmi,

You would potentially blind a fellow rider with your HIDs??!! HIDs are incredibly bright! Or didn't know that? Remind me ride in your area.

Ride safe?
Rw

I use to drive with a modulator, NEVER again. I had 3 different cars pull out from parking lots, right in front of me. It wasn't like there was a lot of traffic and they 'didn't see me'. The straw that broke the camels back was the lady waving at me as she pulled out from the parking lot, the wave looked like a thank you for signaling her it was okay to pull out. Problem was, I wasn't signaling it was okay to pull out, and I had to swerve into the other lane to avoid hitting her. Fortunately no on coming cars where there.

I use to drive with a modulator, NEVER again. I had 3 different cars pull out from parking lots, right in front of me. It wasn't like there was a lot of traffic and they 'didn't see me'. The straw that broke the camels back was the lady waving at me as she pulled out from the parking lot, the wave looked like a thank you for signaling her it was okay to pull out. Problem was, I wasn't signaling it was okay to pull out, and I had to swerve into the other lane to avoid hitting her. Fortunately no on coming cars where there.
Dunno where you were riding.. I guess it's possible.. but I've been riding with a modulator for about 12-13 years now. Never had that happen. I feel naked if I try to ride without one.

Wonder what was different?

When I'm riding in front of my wife (with her modulator on), it doesn't blind me, and it doesn't distract me. When she's in front of me, she has no problem.

It modulates the high beam and leaves the low beam on solid. It takes several seconds of staring in the mirror to even tell if it is on or if it is just a flicker from changing sun angles on the headlight.

I've never been blinded or distracted by other oncoming modulators (but I don't stare at them to find out if I could be).

Properly aimed headlights should not blind other motorists.

I do believe that there are people will be pissed off, but that's because they have already made up their mind to be pissed off about SOMETHING (modulators, long hair, people driving over the speed limit, people driving the speed limit, baby-on-board signs, Democrats, Republicans, etc, etc) and you ain't never gonna change that. (But if you don't stare at them (or any light for that matter) it shouldn't blind or distract you (unless your already predisposed to being distracted).

But ever since the lady that made the U-turn in front of my wife told the investigating officer:"I wasn't making a U-turn." "They were speeding" (we had slowed to 35 in a 50 anticipating her pulling back on the road from the shoulder). "They had their headlights off "(no, we don't have European switches). "I didn't see them" (Bingo!!!)., I decided to increase our visibility.

Ever since then, the cars that used to pull out from a side street or driveway while looking straight at you now almost always stop short and wait for you to go by. You can see that for the first split second their brain said "no cars coming. I can go now". Then the modulator registers and their brain says "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!" and they hit their brakes and wait.

The added advantage is, it gets the attention of the "left lane bandits" that ignore faster traffic behind them. I've been in the fast lane of the freeway where car after car has had to go around some slow car on the right because he isn't paying attention but have him move over when I got behind him.

YMMV

:dance:dance:dance

No Lights

One more twist. This morning during rush hour a MC Officer on his BMW was coming down the on ramp as I blew by in the left lane. I kept an eye on him and noticed NO LIGHTS ON. NO HEADLIGHT, RUNNING LIGHTS NOTHING. I've been pulled over before for no headlight on (euro switch on my K) so what gives. Visibility has little to do with you, it has everything to do with the other guy. Yes we can try to be more visible but we can't make others see us. I was stopped next to an elderly lady at a 4 way stop sign and she still turned left (from the right lane) in front of me. I WAS NEXT TO HER AND SHE HAD HER WINDOW DOWN. Now I know I am invisible. (To everyone except LEO's).

I have been looking at all kinds of systems for my R1200CL. Most of them show that i have to get a 2nd socket to put in the head light. So here is what im thinking. I run EMS and Fire as a Vol. I'm thinking of getting tow of the new led hid a ways and installing them in the head lights. You only have to drill a 1 inch hole into the back of the light. You can sinkernize the lights to flash together. And i can get a two light set up cheaper then what the company's want for there set up. Also we have a light of bike show every year here in Ohio, it would be cool to put a little power to one wire and it well change up the flash pattern. Here is one type i have been looking at, I have seen them in some of the cars and they are bright, and there is many different styles out there now http://www.swps.com/vtx609w.html. Sometimes you can find them cheeper on ebay. let me know what you all think. \

Scott Sedlak

I have been looking at all kinds of systems for my R1200CL. Most of them show that i have to get a 2nd socket to put in the head light. So here is what im thinking. I run EMS and Fire as a Vol. I'm thinking of getting tow of the new led hid a ways and installing them in the head lights. You only have to drill a 1 inch hole into the back of the light. You can sinkernize the lights to flash together. And i can get a two light set up cheaper then what the company's want for there set up. Also we have a light of bike show every year here in Ohio, it would be cool to put a little power to one wire and it well change up the flash pattern. Here is one type i have been looking at, I have seen them in some of the cars and they are bright, and there is many different styles out there now http://www.swps.com/vtx609w.html. Sometimes you can find them cheeper on ebay. let me know what you all think. \

Scott Sedlak

What you are proposing is NOT legal. There are very strict rules that apply to modulating lights (which lights can be modulated, percent of modulation, frequency of modulation, auto disable of modulation at dusk, etc.). Just attaching flashing lights to the front is definitely illegal.

Check https://www.kisantech.com/ for a legal plug and play setup for your bike.

:dance:dance:dance

Back