Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Prudhoe to Key West Record Run

He's going to be riding in the wet today.
    Go man!

Quote Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
    This SPOT Trip Manager link was posted on the IBMWR mail list:

http://jasonjonas.org/spot/tripViewer.do?id=1727
    John is totally bringing it.

What a ride!

One guy who stored his bags while he banged up and down the haul road - and a couple of guys in Minot who checked the bike over while he had a nap does not a Jay Leno ride make. In fact - I have no real idea what a Jay Leno ride is. I don't follow that kind of riding. But I have completed 2 Iron Butt Rallies and I do know a little something about long distance endurance riding. And - this is it.

If the bike holds up without major misfortune John will have one in the record books. And it will be a ride few, if any, could match.

Now I have to go finish my week-long ride from Hyder, AK to Minneapolis. Not Prudhoe to Key West in 4 days. But a bit better than riding this keyboard.

Go John go.

Ride on!!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Yes, but I did hold his bags very, very well.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about the wisdom of what John is attempting, but if you disparage the man you obviously have never met him. John is humble, driven, focused and very professional. He operates on a shoe string budget with thoroughly used kit; I can only imagine what he could do with a well funded operation behind him. The one thing he does not do well is self-promotion.

For the MOA purists; I did give John two screws that came off my RT when I added some new part. They are now holding on his custom windshield. The stock screws were a bit short and difficult to install. So his bike is in part a Beemer.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

ryan

yes, Mr. Ryan is in our club and i can agree with all your comments about him. He has a HUGE windshield on that bike, much bigger than stock and no wonder the mounts holding it broke. i see him stuck on route 94 just a little past Minneapolis, is everything ok?

oh! never mind, see him moving again

higdon

Ominous

Unless his tracker is lying, something is clearly wrong. He's moved but 35 miles in the last 5.5 hours, and even before that he had stopped for 3.5 hours in Fort Nelson, 2.75 hours in Edmonton, and 2.5 hours in Minot. What last night looked like a walk in the park is quickly turning into a slog through a minefield.

Bob Higdon

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by higdon View Post
    Unless his tracker is lying, something is clearly wrong. He's moved but 35 miles in the last 5.5 hours, and even before that he had stopped for 3.5 hours in Fort Nelson, 2.75 hours in Edmonton, and 2.5 hours in Minot. What last night looked like a walk in the park is quickly turning into a slog through a minefield.

Bob Higdon
    been wondering that myself, i hope things are ok

On the Road
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti View Post
    been wondering that myself, i hope things are ok

Agreed. Hopefully the batteries ran out on the spot????

Quote Originally Posted by SPOT Page
    Full-screen
    Date: Mon Jun 08 2009 12:36:54
    Coordinates: 44.8969, -91.7535
    Closest To:
    Distance:

Message Source: Yahoo! Fire Eagle
    Coordinate Source: QUERY

Quote Originally Posted by higdon View Post

Bob Higdon
    WI, the home of construction barrels and LEO's that can be very zealous with regard to performance awards.

Fingers crossed that he's just in stealth mode..

Quote Originally Posted by dixonduke View Post
    Agreed. Hopefully the batteries ran out on the spot????
    I used my SPOT extensively last year (in tracking mode) and the batteries never gave out. it's possible he didn't replace them before the trip, but I would kind of doubt that. I'm not sure how the yahoo/SPOT application tie in. If you're tracking and don't move, the SPOT will still update their service, but maybe the yahoo application doesn't post duplicate location updates.

Either way, we have two data points 4 hours apart that are pretty close together, and no update since. If someone has direct access to the SPOT page, that might give a more accurate picture.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmetzger View Post
    I used my SPOT extensively last year (in tracking mode) and the batteries never gave out. it's possible he didn't replace them before the trip, but I would kind of doubt that. I'm not sure how the yahoo/SPOT application tie in. If you're tracking and don't move, the SPOT will still update their service, but maybe the yahoo application doesn't post duplicate location updates.

Either way, we have two data points 4 hours apart that are pretty close together, and no update since. If someone has direct access to the SPOT page, that might give a more accurate picture.
    Just an additional update: I see several updates "on top" of each other near Minot, so the only way we're missing hours of updates is if the batteries died, it shifted in such a way that it can't "see" the satellites (I've had mine stop sending because it was in my tank bag and my body was blocking it), or some other failure. The long wait between the last two updates still shows a long delay.

I'm showing him to be just west of Eau Claire...

stevadoo

This isn't safe

Why hasn't anyone else on this thread questioned whether or not this is a safe activity? I don't think it is. I don't think anyone should sanction or glorify this kind of riding. If he breaks the record, then someone else will try to break his record, and so on until someone gets killed or kills someone.

Do you want to be on the same highway as someone who has ridden 5,000+ miles in 96 hours?

Cool Safe?

Quote Originally Posted by stevadoo View Post
    Why hasn't anyone else on this thread questioned whether or not this is a safe activity? I don't think it is. I don't think anyone should sanction or glorify this kind of riding. If he breaks the record, then someone else will try to break his record, and so on until someone gets killed or kills someone.

Do you want to be on the same highway as someone who has ridden 5,000+ miles in 96 hours?
    If it's John Ryan, I do. I just wouldn't expect to keep up with him.

Jim
    Who's ridden with John a lot of miles. A lot.

I'd take it any day over some BDC in a minivan yelling at the kids or talking on a cell phone.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages