• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Prudhoe to Key West Record Run

It updated. Now near bloomington, IL.

:clap

this was making an otherwise good day crappy for me

and lets take josh's advice everyone;

if you want to cheer John Ryan on, post here

if you want to argue the merits of distance riding, make a new thread

thanks.:thumb

Run John Run!!!

Sorry I ment Go John Go!!! The run part was for Bambi!! I find it amazing how negativity can creep into a thread on a biker forum, sorry a biking forum, almost forgot this is BMW's, over an accomplishment that is taking place like this.
This is kind of like your TV, if you don't like it then dummy up and turn the knob. I guess though if you have allready better thixs ride then you certainly have a perfect right to bitch and say how it should be doine.:banghead

Help me understand

Quote noted on excellent safety record for these personalized records in distance riding for long periods of time. Can anyone please provide an actuary resource on studies supporting this stated record of safety? Not shooting the rider or his shot at fame, but such data could be useful and informative. Thanks.

Mansfield, Il to Key West, FL = 1455 miles. Time remaining to break the record = 30.5 hours. Average speed required is a bit less than 48 mph.

Idle speculation

This is the first time John has used the Spot tracker on a ride. What may have occurred earlier today was that he stopped for a break east of Minneapolis on I-94 and turned the Spot off. When he resumed, he either forgot to turn it back on or neglected to set it for automatic tracking mode. Batteries aren't an issue. They were new when he began the ride and they'll operate continuously for weeks.

I think he did stop for several hours after leaving Minneapolis this morning because his average speed dropped from 64.8 at 0806 EDT to 60.8 at 1236. He's back up to 62.5 now. That's a decent cushion over what he needs minimally, so much so that he can allow himself another break later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Bob Higdon

I find it amazing how negativity can creep into a thread on a biker forum, sorry a biking forum, almost forgot this is BMW's, over an accomplishment that is taking place like this.
Be honest now! If some squid got on this forum and bragged about riding his "Kawazuki" rice rocket down the interstate at 100 mph wouldn't we be jumping all over him? ("Why that's irresponsible!" "He could cause an accident." "Little twit!") But since it's a "long distance rider" who's "a really good rider" and "really well prepared" we give him a big thumbs up. It just seems strange to me . . .:scratch

I wish John well. I hope he makes it to Florida safe and sound and establishes a record. But I just don't understand. That's just me. I'll change channels now.

- - - - -

Okay, I'm back. I'll admit it . . . and I'm pulling for him too. I've got to see if he can pull this off. :lurk

Last edited:
East of St. Louis s I post.

For those new to the concept of long distance endurance events and challenges like this the Iron Butt Association site is the place to begin to familiarize yourself with what this form of motorcycling is all about and what it isnÔÇÖt.

The ride we are following is describe in the Iron Butt Ultimate Coast to Coast Challenge section. The IBA rates it as an EXTEME ride even in the basic form. I can only imagine the preparation and planning that goes into doing a record attempt safely.

Any of us considering a long distance tour of any kind can find all sorts of tips that will make our touring easier safer and more enjoyable in the 29 Tips & Techniques from IBR what you wonÔÇÖt find in this section is tips on getting out of speeding tickets, using drugs or anything else like that.

Many of our fellow members participate in the various rides described here and in other endurance events.

Hang in there John
Go John Go!!!

Cheers

I've been following this thread with interest. Let me add my voice to the cheers.

Go John Go!

Holly

+1 from me as well. I rode out to Janesville Wisconsin (south central Wi.) this morning and waited at a rest stop to see if I could witness this event. I made a phone call and was disappointed to find he was still in the Eau Claire area. So I went home thinking he had a breakdown or something. As it turns out, I most likely missed him. I'm glad he's okay and on the final legs of his quest. I am impressed.

Be honest now! If some squid got on this forum and bragged about riding his "Kawazuki" rice rocket down the interstate at 100 mph wouldn't we be jumping all over him? ("Why that's irresponsible!" "He could cause an accident." "Little twit!") But since it's a "long distance rider" who's "a really good rider" and "really well prepared" we give him a big thumbs up. It just seems strange to me . . .:scratch

I wish John well. I hope he makes it to Florida safe and sound and establishes a record. But I just don't understand. That's just me. I'll change channels now.

- - - - -

Okay, I'm back. I'll admit it . . . and I'm pulling for him too. I've got to see if he can pull this off. :lurk

I'm with you - I hope he makes it safe and sound. I wish he was on a BMW, but I'd still want him to finish safely. Still, to me, this is the motorcycle equivalent of "Canonball run", and one of the reasons that even if I ride 1000 miles in 24 hours (I've come fairly close), I'll never apply for anything with the IBA.

Good luck and be safe, John!

I see he's now threw Paducah, Ky. and on the way to Nashville, TN. does anyone know his intended route? I think that once threw Nashville, he'll head over to the Choo Choo then down threw Atlanta on I-75 to Florida.

I'm guessing it depends on the timing and traffic. He may not want to go through Atlanta at rush hour. I'm hoping he has something that can give him traffic reports with him...

Go, John, Go!:dance

(And for those looking for strictly BMW-related content, John pointed me to a really good mechanic for my K75.)

This is the first time John has used the Spot tracker on a ride. What may have occurred earlier today was that he stopped for a break east of Minneapolis on I-94 and turned the Spot off. When he resumed, he either forgot to turn it back on or neglected to set it for automatic tracking mode. Batteries aren't an issue. They were new when he began the ride and they'll operate continuously for weeks.

I think he did stop for several hours after leaving Minneapolis this morning because his average speed dropped from 64.8 at 0806 EDT to 60.8 at 1236. He's back up to 62.5 now. That's a decent cushion over what he needs minimally, so much so that he can allow himself another break later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Bob Higdon

What happens with SPOT is this: the SPOT (read the directions) will automatically stop TACKING MODE after 24hrs.... you have to reset the Tracking mode every 24hrs. That is what most likely happened... he reset it at his last stop and just forgot.

I feel I went a little bit against my own advice, earlier. If anyone wants to debate the merits of these types of events, there is a thread here. All I ask is it stay on-topic and civil (and we keep such debates out of this thread).

Thanks!

I'm with you - I hope he makes it safe and sound. I wish he was on a BMW, but I'd still want him to finish safely. Still, to me, this is the motorcycle equivalent of "Canonball run", and one of the reasons that even if I ride 1000 miles in 24 hours (I've come fairly close), I'll never apply for anything with the IBA.

Good luck and be safe, John!

I've done a few but this is amazing. Once he reaches Nashville, he still has 1,000 miles to go. What an incredible feat.

Good for him.

Six hours or so he should be in daylight for the remainder of the trip.

Very impressive - a tip of the helmet and best of luck.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

Back