• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Prudhoe to Key West Record Run

One guy who stored his bags while he banged up and down the haul road - and a couple of guys in Minot who checked the bike over while he had a nap does not a Jay Leno ride make. In fact - I have no real idea what a Jay Leno ride is. I don't follow that kind of riding. But I have completed 2 Iron Butt Rallies and I do know a little something about long distance endurance riding. And - this is it.

If the bike holds up without major misfortune John will have one in the record books. And it will be a ride few, if any, could match.

Now I have to go finish my week-long ride from Hyder, AK to Minneapolis. Not Prudhoe to Key West in 4 days. But a bit better than riding this keyboard.

Go John go.

Ride on!!

Yes, but I did hold his bags very, very well.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about the wisdom of what John is attempting, but if you disparage the man you obviously have never met him. John is humble, driven, focused and very professional. He operates on a shoe string budget with thoroughly used kit; I can only imagine what he could do with a well funded operation behind him. The one thing he does not do well is self-promotion.

For the MOA purists; I did give John two screws that came off my RT when I added some new part. They are now holding on his custom windshield. The stock screws were a bit short and difficult to install. So his bike is in part a Beemer.

ryan

yes, Mr. Ryan is in our club and i can agree with all your comments about him. He has a HUGE windshield on that bike, much bigger than stock and no wonder the mounts holding it broke. i see him stuck on route 94 just a little past Minneapolis, is everything ok?

oh! never mind, see him moving again

Ominous

Unless his tracker is lying, something is clearly wrong. He's moved but 35 miles in the last 5.5 hours, and even before that he had stopped for 3.5 hours in Fort Nelson, 2.75 hours in Edmonton, and 2.5 hours in Minot. What last night looked like a walk in the park is quickly turning into a slog through a minefield.

Bob Higdon

Unless his tracker is lying, something is clearly wrong. He's moved but 35 miles in the last 5.5 hours, and even before that he had stopped for 3.5 hours in Fort Nelson, 2.75 hours in Edmonton, and 2.5 hours in Minot. What last night looked like a walk in the park is quickly turning into a slog through a minefield.

Bob Higdon

been wondering that myself, i hope things are ok

:lurk

Bob Higdon

WI, the home of construction barrels and LEO's that can be very zealous with regard to performance awards.

Fingers crossed that he's just in stealth mode..

Agreed. Hopefully the batteries ran out on the spot????

I used my SPOT extensively last year (in tracking mode) and the batteries never gave out. it's possible he didn't replace them before the trip, but I would kind of doubt that. I'm not sure how the yahoo/SPOT application tie in. If you're tracking and don't move, the SPOT will still update their service, but maybe the yahoo application doesn't post duplicate location updates.

Either way, we have two data points 4 hours apart that are pretty close together, and no update since. If someone has direct access to the SPOT page, that might give a more accurate picture.

I used my SPOT extensively last year (in tracking mode) and the batteries never gave out. it's possible he didn't replace them before the trip, but I would kind of doubt that. I'm not sure how the yahoo/SPOT application tie in. If you're tracking and don't move, the SPOT will still update their service, but maybe the yahoo application doesn't post duplicate location updates.

Either way, we have two data points 4 hours apart that are pretty close together, and no update since. If someone has direct access to the SPOT page, that might give a more accurate picture.

Just an additional update: I see several updates "on top" of each other near Minot, so the only way we're missing hours of updates is if the batteries died, it shifted in such a way that it can't "see" the satellites (I've had mine stop sending because it was in my tank bag and my body was blocking it), or some other failure. The long wait between the last two updates still shows a long delay.

This isn't safe

Why hasn't anyone else on this thread questioned whether or not this is a safe activity? I don't think it is. I don't think anyone should sanction or glorify this kind of riding. If he breaks the record, then someone else will try to break his record, and so on until someone gets killed or kills someone.

Do you want to be on the same highway as someone who has ridden 5,000+ miles in 96 hours?

Safe?

Why hasn't anyone else on this thread questioned whether or not this is a safe activity? I don't think it is. I don't think anyone should sanction or glorify this kind of riding. If he breaks the record, then someone else will try to break his record, and so on until someone gets killed or kills someone.

Do you want to be on the same highway as someone who has ridden 5,000+ miles in 96 hours?

If it's John Ryan, I do. I just wouldn't expect to keep up with him.

Jim
Who's ridden with John a lot of miles. A lot.:thumb

I'd take it any day over some BDC in a minivan yelling at the kids or talking on a cell phone.

Great first post Steve. You might want to go to one of the final drive threads and let everybody know you think there is no final drive problem. Or how 'bout one of the 1100 surging threads? It'll be just as effective.

When I've done these rides, I've been able to determine whether I'm a menace to myself and others quite well. John has undertaken many rides of this type and I'm sure his level of experience and preparation will keep him from becoming dangerous. In fact that may be why he hasn't moved in five hours...

The reason endurance riding has such a good safety record is because the person most likely to be hurt by a lapse in judgment is the rider themselves. You might have an argument if we were talking about a truck driver doing the same thing. We're not though, so get your shorts all untwisted and move along... there's nothing for you to see here...

/MOD HAT ON

All,

People are welcome to post their opinions on this endeavour - good or bad. What will not be tolerated is personal attacks against other forum members for any reason. Let's keep it civil, folks.

As a suggestion, it might be neighborly to start a separate thread discussing the merits of such activities by anyone and leave this one specifically for discussions about this attempt.

Thanks.

/MOD HAT OFF

So back to your previously scheduled programming...

Hopefully the reason John's Spot hasn't moved from the side of I94 for four hours is because it fell off the bike or something. Where it's stuck is essentially in the middle of nowhere. Now the middle of nowhere is a fine place to be for certain activities but this is not one of them.

Waiting for an update...

It updated. Now near bloomington, IL.

:dance

Maybe John got out of tracking mode to send an "ok" message and forgot to put it back into tracking mode. Or maybe the batteries did play out. In any event, I am happy that it is back up!

Last edited:
Back