Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Prudhoe to Key West Record Run

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    Wednesday evening, June 3rd.

John called from Deadhorse. A rock punched a hole in his oil pan 20 or so miles outside of Prudhoe. He is getting assistance from one of the shops and they can fix the hole, but he's concerned about having to remove the exhaust with all its corroded hardware. There are some very talented machinists up in Prudhoe with well equipped shops so I believe they will get it fixed. Earliest possible start for the ride is now Friday evening with an early Saturday morning ETA in Fairbanks.
    BMW stock is going up

Go John go ... ride like the wind ... may the weather gods smile on you and the haul road be tamed under your wheels!
    Jim Puckett
    www.notsupermanrally.com
    IBA 24142
    MOA 112409

Another call from Prudhoe; oil pan repaired, planning on starting at 8-9 PM tomorrow (Friday) night with a 4-5 AM, Saturday arrival in Fairbanks.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Nose

Any final drive problems?

Quote Originally Posted by kreinke View Post
    Any final drive problems?
    I don't think the Yamaha he's riding is known for that issue.

Record for delayed starts?

Has this set a record for the most delayed starts? Has anyone come up with the name of the current record holder? Mankind is certainly better for all this...keep up the good work.

higdon
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Has anyone come up with the name of the current record holder?
    Gary Egan of Salt Lake City set the record in June 2004 on a Ducati Multistrada.

higdon

A good start

According to his Spot tracker, John left Prudhoe Bay at 0055 EDT Saturday. At 0555 EDT his location was 345 miles south of Prudhoe, giving him an average of 69 mph average over the most difficult part of the entire route. A subsequent track about 20 miles later confirms the average speed. It isn't possible to travel much faster than that over such terrain (100% dirt and gravel). He cannot help but be pleased by his start. I am frankly stunned by these numbers.

He will reach pavement within the next 90 miles, taking a lot of the strain off both the rider and the machine.

Bob Higdon

He left Deadhorse at 8:55 PM Alaska time, or at least that's his first tracking time. It is 0315 AM as I write and spot shows him south of the Yukon River, nearly off the Dalton. There is nearly 100 miles of paved road between Coldfoot and mile zero of the Dalton. Annie and I are on the way to meet him at the car wash across town.
    Kevin Huddy

He's On His Way!!!

John arrived in Fairbanks at 0435 hrs. He rode the haul road mostly in rain and his bike and riding suit looked it. Despite the conditions he made good time. His GPS may have paid the price, however, and appears to be fading away.

He refueled, but the pump would not print the receipt he needs to document the ride to Iron Butt standards, and the station was closed. Annie and I will go back later and get a copy of the receipt, but he used an ATM to get a receipt time stamped receipt just in case.

After refueling it was to the adjacent car wash to remove the worst of the mud from the radiator, wheels and brakes.

Mount the side cases.

And then he was on his way!

Kevin Huddy

scqtt
    Yamahas are awesome.

Go John Go!

When I grow up I want to be you.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmetzger View Post
    I don't think the Yamaha he's riding is known for that issue.

So the last time I looked this was a BMW forum . . . and he's riding a Yamaha. Why am I supposed to care?
    2015 R nineT

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
    So the last time I looked this was a BMW forum . . . and he's riding a Yamaha. Why am I supposed to care?
    so you're saying this ride doesn't interest you at all due to the type of bike John happens to be riding???

(he has a K75 as well if that makes it better)

GO JOHN!

ALSO!!! is his tracker linked to a URL somewhere???

higdon

Still hauling

At five minutes past 8:00 EDT tonight John was in Watson Lake, a total distance of 1,358 miles from his start in Prudhoe Bay 19.2 hours ago. That's a 70+ mph average in the worst conditions he's likely to see during the entire ride. Boys and girls, the Iron Butt Association calls that a Bun Burner Gold pace (1,500 miles in 24 hours) over a stretch consisting approximately of one-third dirt and gravel.

I myself took a ride today from McComb MS to Daytona Beach FL. Now that I think about it, that's sort of what John was doing: riding a bike south and east to Florida. I guess anybody can do these kinds of rides.

Bob Higdon
    Last edited by higdon; 06-07-2009 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
    It's posted in everything else. It's OK. It's OK.

Good luck to you.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.