• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Prudhoe to Key West Record Run

Yamahas are awesome.

Go John Go!

When I grow up I want to be you.

So the last time I looked this was a BMW forum . . . and he's riding a Yamaha. :scratch Why am I supposed to care? :dunno

so you're saying this ride doesn't interest you at all due to the type of bike John happens to be riding???

(he has a K75 as well if that makes it better)

GO JOHN!:thumb

ALSO!!! is his tracker linked to a URL somewhere???

Still hauling

At five minutes past 8:00 EDT tonight John was in Watson Lake, a total distance of 1,358 miles from his start in Prudhoe Bay 19.2 hours ago. That's a 70+ mph average in the worst conditions he's likely to see during the entire ride. Boys and girls, the Iron Butt Association calls that a Bun Burner Gold pace (1,500 miles in 24 hours) over a stretch consisting approximately of one-third dirt and gravel.

I myself took a ride today from McComb MS to Daytona Beach FL. Now that I think about it, that's sort of what John was doing: riding a bike south and east to Florida. I guess anybody can do these kinds of rides. ;)

Bob Higdon

Last edited:
Twenty-nine hours into the ride John now is about 90 miles northwest of Dawson Creek BC. He apparently stopped for a rest break of 3.5 hours in Fort Nelson between 0005 and 0330 EDT this morning. At his last position he'd run 1,870 miles at an overall average of 64+ mph. He needs to stay above 58 mph to achieve his goal.

Bob Higdon

1947 miles into John's ride and he is in Dawson Creek, BC at 6:03 AM CDT 1 day 6 hours and 9 minutes elapsed time 64.6 mph average speed. :thumb

A break?

John arrived on the outskirts of Edmonton, BC at 1102 EDT, 2,311 miles and 34.12 hours into the trip. He may be taking a break. It's 1210 EDT now and he hasn't moved in just over an hour.

Bob Higdon

John arrived on the outskirts of Edmonton, BC at 1102 EDT, 2,311 miles and 34.12 hours into the trip. He may be taking a break. It's 1210 EDT now and he hasn't moved in just over an hour.

Bob Higdon

He's moving.

2311 / 31 (subtracting about 3.5 for the earlier break) = 74.5mph moving average.

At 1500 hours, Alaska time, or 42 hours into the ride John is approaching Moose Jaw, SK. He is roughly half way by my estimation.

Cruising

At this point John is within an hour of the U.S. border at North Portal. From there it's under 100 miles to Minot ND, where he'll probably take another break and have his pit crew take a long look at his bike. At his current overall average of 66.2 mph, he's on a pace to attain his goal with 8-10 hours to spare.

Bob Higdon

At this point John is within an hour of the U.S. border at North Portal. From there it's under 100 miles to Minot ND, where he'll probably take another break and have his pit crew take a long look at his bike. At his current overall average of 66.2 mph, he's on a pace to attain his goal with 8-10 hours to spare.

Bob Higdon

At 2900 miles, I've got him at 66.13 mpg overall average. He will need that time reserve about 24 hours from now when he might need to sleep for 6 or 7 hours. If his FJR holds together, things are looking damn good.

Pit Crew?

I thought he was doing it alone, just one man and one machine...didn't know there was a "pit crew - looking over the bike"...what we got a chase van? Sounds like a Jay Leno ride...hope there's at least one charity involved, not just a tire and energy sponsor?

I thought he was doing it alone, just one man and one machine...didn't know there was a "pit crew - looking over the bike"...what we got a chase van? Sounds like a Jay Leno ride...hope there's at least one charity involved, not just a tire and energy sponsor?

Pit crew means friends along the way willing to help a fellow MOA member complete this adventure.

Prudhoe Bay to Key West......"Jay leno ride" Motodan for the love of God please tell me you are kidding with that comment!

You sure that's him? The bike on that link is green? ;)

Click satellite, and zoom in...

557974038_iqjJs-L.jpg

Back