Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Prudhoe to Key West Record Run

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    It was so icy that they were unable to get enough traction to get up the pass. Forecast is for 37 degrees and mostly sunny today at Deadhorse, so maybe conditions will be better at Atigun.
    Kevin,

Thank you for keeping us up to date

John is going to be the keynote speaker at the Not Superman Rally awards banquet in Cape Girardeau MO on Sunday, July 12 at 4:00 PM following the 12:00 Noon finish of the 54-hour NSR rally. www.notsupermanrally.com

We all wish him a safe and productive record attempt.
    Jim Puckett
    www.notsupermanrally.com
    IBA 24142
    MOA 112409

John left for Deadhorse a little after noon on Sunday and was back at our house at midnight. He had a flat near Coldfoot and plugged the tire. He is going to replace the tire and then head back up north. Hopefully he's getting all the bad luck out of the way before he goes on the clock.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Some pictures from the first attempt on Friday.

Voni, John made sure he had the "something red" you gave him attached.

I rode with John as far as the start of the Dalton. We linked up with his fellow IronButt friend Jack at Hilltop.

Jack rides the original KLR and regularly puts in 1000+ mile days between Glennallen and Prudhoe.

At the head of the Dalton we met two riders from NC who had just come off the road.

I asked John to have a "I couldn't have done it without you" look in this picture.

And then they were off.
    Kevin Huddy

This picture was taken by Jack G. (ALCAN Rider) and previously posted on the ADVRiders forum. Shows John's FJR at Atigun Pass last Saturday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevin Huddy

buckeyeclark
    I, for one, am personally fascinated by this whole concept; however, seeing these pics and reading the posts I guess I do not understand why he would try this in early June instead of later when the weather would be warmer? I am not familiar with Alaska so there may be something I am missing.....

Could it be that waiting for the better weather in Alaska, puts you
    at risk for worse weather in the plains, the South, and in Florida?

MD

May is the month with lowest average precipitation.
    Kevin Huddy

OUTBACKUFO
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    May is the month with lowest average precipitation.
    Weather men are know to lie a lot ... in 03 when i was up there on the same week as right now i hit nothing but snow all the way up from Colorado to AK... only had one day of sun the whole day.. i had wet roads 15 out of 21 days of riding. I was at the Fingers rocks on the Dalton with 1 inch of ice coating everything...

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by OUTBACKUFO View Post
    Weather men are know to lie a lot ...
    i don't know if i'd call it lying

The bike is ready to go and John plans to head north today. If all goes well, then he should start the run on Thursday evening and be back in Fairbanks early Friday morning.

Yesterday John spent the day replacing his rear tire and having a bracket for his windshield fabricated at a local metal shop. Replacing the windshield bracket required removal of most of the fairing. After watching him replace the fiberglass on the FJR I can say that doing the same job on an RT is far easier.

We also assisted Dean and Lisa, IronButt friends of John's. Dean's bike was damaged Sunday 58 miles south of Deadhorse when his chain broke and damaged the transmission. Dean must ship the bike back to SoCal and Lisa will ride home alone.
    Kevin Huddy

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Go, John, go!

Go Lisa ; )

Go Dean!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

Wednesday evening, June 3rd.

John called from Deadhorse. A rock punched a hole in his oil pan 20 or so miles outside of Prudhoe. He is getting assistance from one of the shops and they can fix the hole, but he's concerned about having to remove the exhaust with all its corroded hardware. There are some very talented machinists up in Prudhoe with well equipped shops so I believe they will get it fixed. Earliest possible start for the ride is now Friday evening with an early Saturday morning ETA in Fairbanks.
    Kevin Huddy

higdon
    This is really turning into the stuff of comic opera, isn't it? A cracked wheel, a leaky radiator, a suspect windshield bracket, a flat tire, a holed oil pan . . . and he hasn't even made the turn at Prudhoe Bay yet! Even Hercules in his endless labors didn't have to endure tiresome crap like this.

I first saw the Haul Road traveling with Mike Kneebone on the day before the first day of summer in 1994. We hadn't been on the dirt north of Fairbanks for more than three miles when we came upon a couple of Harleys, one with a snapped belt. They were carrying a spare but didn't have a tool necessary to effect the repair. I kept thinking to myself, "This can't be good." It wasn't. As far as I know, those poor guys are still there.

It's a difficult road in a difficult and unforgiving part of the world. And it breaks things --- first your bike, then your heart.

Bob Higdon

He certainly has had more than his fair share of trials and tribulations. One can only hope that he's getting them out of the way before he goes for the record. His resolve to do this has not faltered even a little.
    Kevin Huddy

You Don't Say

Road Conditions

Eh,

The condition of any road is inversely proportional to how far it is from your current location and the likelihood you will ever ride on it.