• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Prudhoe to Key West Record Run

I see him at the corner of Whitehead and South Street. That's the official spot with the big "Southern Most Point in the US" sign where tourists always get a picture.

Talk about Buns of Steel. Man...I don't even wanna think about how my butt would feel....

I have a feeling this record is gonna stand for a while.... Congrats.

He seems stopped at the Key West police station - probably (hopefully) getting his documentation done. It's at 1604 N. Roosevelt Blvd.

If this is not an IBA sanctioned ride, why is he going to the trouble of getting gas receipts and witness signatures? :scratch

Wouldn't the SPOT tracking be enough proof for anyone who might want to challenge?

he doesn't want to take any chances. need all the reciepts and pictures. It would be a shame to have to do it all over again...

If this is not an IBA sanctioned ride, why is he going to the trouble of getting gas receipts and witness signatures? :scratch

Wouldn't the SPOT tracking be enough proof for anyone who might want to challenge?

We don't maintain such records, but the Ultimate Coast-to-Coast Challenge is, in fact, an IBA-sanctioned ride.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Rigor

Sanctioned or not the IBA documentation provides a level of rigor to document the ride in conjunction with the SPOT would not provide by itself. It removes the asterisk from an attempt documented by SPOT alone.

Rigor in documentation is part of the planning for the ride and what goes into making it a record.

YMMV

Epilogue

Suffice it to say, there is a complete record of the trip's navigation by the SPOT GPS/satellite transponder John carried all the way. There are also computerized gas receipts at the start and end, as well as all the way through. There are also approved witness signers at each end. Usually, these are either police with badge numbers or IBA pre approved witnesses.

John called me a half hour ago, and I was able to congratulate him. Some few of us have been helping to sponsor his rides since before his Iron Butt Rally 7th place finish in 2005. He calculates his time from start to finish as about 86 hours. During the ride, John had over 8 hours of sleep, at various places along the road, including on a picnic table.

The previous record was set by Gary Egan in 2004, I believe. He was reportedly riding a Ducati Multistrada.

John's bike is a 2005 (I think) Yamaha FJR-1300, which was purchased new by him. It now should have over 150,000 miles on the clock. John started his Iron Butt career on an inherited '94 (I think) BMW K75, which now has almost 200,000 miles on it. John Ryan is, I think, a 1960 model.

John is a very likable guy. He makes friends easily, and those friendships tend to last. Part of it is, I suppose, his forthright honesty about himself and his life, his sincerity, and his imposing physical presence and alertness. John is a type 1 diabetic, having been diagnosed at about age 15. He carries an insulin pump, and can frequently be spotted testing his blood glucose. John does not smoke or drink alcoholic beverages. The little welcoming committee at Key West planned to bring some Champagne; I suggested they bring some Gatorade, too.

John says he will stay in Key West for a couple of days. He'll get some rest, and replace the brake linings on the FJR, which he says are worn from all the mud, gravel, and sand on the Haul Road. He plans to do the work, himself.

Active BMW MOA member and GS rider Clark Luster has offered John his vacation house in Key West for the stay.

Speaking only as one of many who have offered just a little support for this ride, I think I can tell you that all of us who have given any money, effort, lodging, bike mods, etc., are greatly proud to be associated with this ride. Maybe we bought some gas, oil, shocks, tires, brake linings, and aid and comfort. John did this ride all by himself, otherwise, and it was entirely his plan and schedule. Some of John's friends changed his tires and oil in Minot. There was no support truck, or any of that. John wouldn't have allowed it, if it had been offered. Riding, he's a one man show.

Other than some sleep, John said there was an unexpectedly long time spent at the border crossing, that cost some time.

John's final discussion with me on the phone was to the effect that it might be pretty hard for somebody else to challenge this ride, but if they do, he figures he could shave a few more hours off the time with what he knows about it, and with a little better luck. In one case, he kept on I-40 when he should have taken I-24 to Chattanooga. That cost him (by my measure) 120 extra miles on the ride. He suggested that he didn't properly follow his GPS at the turn.

EPILOGUE

I believe you have witnessed a world class ride, and a raising of the bar for one of the most challenging rides the Iron Butt Association defines, even if they don't sanction record times.

Join me in complimenting John, if not before, at the MOA Rally, where he'll be hanging as an ordinary rallygoer; as ordinary as solo ride record setters get.

Jim Shaw
Hinckley, Ohio USA

Speed stats:

Based on around 5600 miles, that comes to an average of 65mph overall average, and 72mph moving average.

Sleep stats:

86 hours trip time = 3 days and 14 hours. "Sleep" time was reported at 8 hours, which comes to 2 or 2.5 hours of sleep per 24 hour period.

This is rough calculations for mileage (I didn't verify his exact route vs. google) and time/sleep (I wasn't going to break out a calculator, but it's more than 2 hours of sleep but less than 2.5 hours).

Well done John! And a type-1 to boot? WOW. I guess I need to adjust what I think my limitations are...

Paul Delau
Minnesota

Voni has been chanting "Go John Go!" for three days. I couldn't be more pleased with a ride if I had done it myself.

Some people take their RV out to the county park for the weekend. Some people hike and backpack the Continental Divide from Canada to Mexico. They both call it camping.

Some folks ride their motorcycle on Sunday afternoon. Some people ride from Prudhoe Bay to Key West. They both call it motorcycling.

But there, the similarities end.

My heartiest congratulations to my friend John Ryan.

EPILOGUE

I believe you have witnessed a world class ride, and a raising of the bar for one of the most challenging rides the Iron Butt Association defines, even if they don't sanction record times.

Join me in complimenting John, if not before, at the MOA Rally, where he'll be hanging as an ordinary rally goer; as ordinary as solo ride record setters get.

Jim Shaw
Hinckley, Ohio USA

John Ryan shattered the Prudhoe Bay AK to Key West FL Ultimate Coast to Coast record at 3:10 PM EDT today, June 9, 2009. He broke Gary Egan's 96 hour 1 minute record by 7 hours 44 minutes by our calculations.

John Ryan UCC Record (Garmin "gdb" file) John Ryan is our keynote speaker at the Not Superman Rally Awards Banquet on Sunday afternoon July 12.

Incredible ride Mr. Ryan. See you in Cape Girardeau MO next month.

Attachments

• John Ryan UCC Record.gpx
    1.8 MB · Views: 91
As Jim mentioned - John is very gracious in remembering the people who he considers friends. I got off the phone with him - telling him to get some sleep (he sounds very alert - he had a short nap before calling me) - but he said he had about 100 more people to call to thank. He is that kinda guy.

John did mention how cool the reception committee was at the southernmost point in the US, and how the LEO who pulled him over a few blocks away turned out to be a great guy, and helpful at the finish. Great job John - and have a good rest in Key West.

MAP of John Ryan's UCC ride

John Ryan shattered the Prudhoe Bay AK to Key West FL Ultimate Coast to Coast record at 3:10 PM EDT today, June 9, 2009. He broke Gary Egan's 96 hour 1 minute record by 7 hours 44 minutes by our calculations.

John Ryan UCC Record (Garmin "gdb" file) John Ryan is our keynote speaker at the Not Superman Rally Awards Banquet on Sunday afternoon July 12.

Incredible ride Mr. Ryan. See you in Cape Girardeau MO next month.

I thought you might like to see a map on Google Earth made from the GPX file very kindly supplied by Jim Puckett. To think of traveling this in about 10 hours less than 4 days, puts it in some perspective.

Jim

Attachments

• John's UCC map.jpg
    John's UCC map.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 482
To reinforce what Don E. said above about John. He called Annie and me tonight as well. Eight hours after he was done with the ride he was still calling to thank those who provided even the simplest of support as we did. He's concerned about thanking us when we are grateful to him for the opportunity to have some miner affiliation with a significant accomplishment.

I thought you might like to see a map on Google Earth made from the GPX file very kindly supplied by Jim Puckett. To think of traveling this in about 10 hours less than 4 days, puts it in some perspective.

Jim

great image, jim.

:bow GREAT ride, john.

ian

just posted somewhere else...

20090609-DSC_9869.jpg

Jim

Great posts, Jim....I came in late, but enjoyed reading the posts. Congratulations to John for an excellent ride!.....very different than the ride to Grand Marais on the K75
;);)

Back