• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

r850r Tranny Bump

R

richiemayo

Greetings

I'm the (otherwise) pleased new owner of a 96 r850r with under 12k miles.

Thought I was nuts when I noticed the bike seemingly popping out of gear under moderate-to-hard load in 2nd gear only; the best way to describe the experience was as if I drove over a good sized rock, and broke the rear wheel loose. Only no bump 'cause there was no rock, and it didn't break loose. Did a little web searching and found postings such as the following dating back to 1997.

http://www.slack.net/~thundt/Bmw/transmis.txt

Does anybody know

1. Did BMW ever issue a service bulletin for this 'tranny bump'? Looks like they replaced a bunch of tranmissions in the late 90's. Seems like this is a design flaw that should have been addressed, but of course any warranty would have expired long ago.

2. If I leave things alone and don't pound on the bike at low speeds, is the problem likely to get worse anyway?

Answers/suggestions to these questions, or any other relevant experience or information would be much appreciated.

rich mayo

rivercruz said:
> 1. Did BMW ever issue a service bulletin for this 'tranny bump'? Looks like > they replaced a bunch of tranmissions in the late 90's. Seems like this is a > design flaw that should have been addressed, but of course any warranty > would have expired long ago.

I don't know. I never heard of service bulletins on this issue.

> 2. If I leave things alone and don't pound on the bike at low speeds, is the > problem likely to get worse anyway?

Probably...and it assuredly won't get any better.

I had this at 12K on my 96 R11RS. The transmission was replaced under warranty, and has been fine since (now at 68K).

I think Paul Glaves' assessment (that this condition is caused by a too-weak torque compensator spring) is correct.

Have your dealer do a search on this VIN. A lot of '96 models got new trannies do to an assembly issue that caused some oil leaks, so its likely that your bike already has a replacement transmission.

My 97 850 with 20.000 does it also.If you bring it to your dealer
and tell them about it as it's being serviced,they'll fix it,but it will
return again.

Back