• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NEW OIL from BMW

cjack

K Bikes Complex by Choice
BMW just came out with a new synth 5W40 for all the new engine K1200/1300 bikes. They recommend use of the new oil for "Optimizing performance of the engine" starting with the 600 mile oil change. To synthetic...

An enjin specific oil? Either they were having oil problems with the 1300 or they
feel the owners have too much $$$$$

An enjin specific oil? Either they were having oil problems with the 1300 or they
feel the owners have too much $$$$$

Well it's not really engine specific, except that the new transverse 4 cyl engines are the only ones that are recommended to use the 5W40. I don't think there are any oil problems with these engines, but I think the clutch gets a better bath if the oil is not too heavy. Originally, in '05, 20W was not allowed. The weights were limited to 15W and 10W. Now 5W also.

It is part # 07 51 0 037 633 BMW 4T 5W-40 full synthetic engine oil at $14.35 a qt.

Last edited:
Ahhh, I forgot those puppies have a wet clutch. I take back what I said about BMW
trying to separate us from our money :laugh :laugh :laugh

I was in the nearest dealer today, looking for a filter and oil for my 6000 mile oil change. I want to switch to synthetic, they have never heard of the 15w40, and couldn't find it in any of their ordering options, so of course they wouldn't know about this, either. So before I open the seal on the 15w50 full synthetic they sold me (12.99/qt.) for my '05 K1200S, do I use it or return it? If return, where do I get the right oil? Can I use Mobil 1 or some other synthetic in the right weight, or should I stay with BMW? If I end up selling the bike in 20k miles, will any of this have made a differance?????

With 4 qts of oil, a filter and a qt of gear oil for the final drive, I dropped $75 (no labor). I can get the oil/filter changed, fluids topped off, tire pressure checked and cab of my truck vacuumed for half that! How can BMW oil/filters be that much better?

Sorry, back to the new oil...........

I was in the nearest dealer today, looking for a filter and oil for my 6000 mile oil change. I want to switch to synthetic, they have never heard of the 15w40, and couldn't find it in any of their ordering options, so of course they wouldn't know about this, either. So before I open the seal on the 15w50 full synthetic they sold me (12.99/qt.) for my '05 K1200S, do I use it or return it? If return, where do I get the right oil? Can I use Mobil 1 or some other synthetic in the right weight, or should I stay with BMW? If I end up selling the bike in 20k miles, will any of this have made a differance?????

With 4 qts of oil, a filter and a qt of gear oil for the final drive, I dropped $75 (no labor). I can get the oil/filter changed, fluids topped off, tire pressure checked and cab of my truck vacuumed for half that! How can BMW oil/filters be that much better?

Sorry, back to the new oil...........

Do they have the 10W40 synth? That would be more in line with the BMW specs.

I don't think they did. The service manager was there behind the counter and asked me if I knew what oil viscosity numbers meant, went on to tell me. I specified I was putting this in the new K1200S bike, not my old K1200RS and they assured me this is the oil to use, but as I mentioned, they didn't know of any of the other oils you have mentioned here. In fact, he asked if I heard about it on the web............

Would it be better to return the synthetic and just run standard oil in the 15w 40 or 10w 40?

Thanks!

BMW has in the past recommended the 15W50 synth and the 10W40 (synth after 6000 miles) in a bulletin dated July 2005. This bulletin was issued to clarify the oil viscosity questions back then. So lots of S bikes have used that oil and I never heard of any issues that were directly attributed to the oil vis.
I guess I figure that BMW (new engine...on going learning) decided that 10W or now 5W would be better overall. No one told me this, I'm just reacting to the sucession of bulletins over the 3 years or so tending toward lighter weights of vis.

I don't think they did. The service manager was there behind the counter and asked me if I knew what oil viscosity numbers meant, went on to tell me. I specified I was putting this in the new K1200S bike, not my old K1200RS and they assured me this is the oil to use, but as I mentioned, they didn't know of any of the other oils you have mentioned here. In fact, he asked if I heard about it on the web............

Would it be better to return the synthetic and just run standard oil in the 15w 40 or 10w 40?

Thanks!

If it's the dealer I suspect it is in a certain little town of Litiz..then I recommend another dealer. If it is..been there on several occasions and I wasn't pleased with their service and the info from behind the parts desk ..and i won't go any further..but do your homework first and double check your final bill..I say no more...

Clay, notice I didn't take the bike to a dealer, I was just out looking for oil..........Other than trailering the thing to Port Clinton (over an hour away) there aren't many options. I have been disappointed with 2 local dealers regarding service work performed. One didn't follow BMW specs for adding coolant in the new K motor, the other couldn't get the computer to talk to the bike so offered to fix my "electrical issue" once riding season was over (there's a season??) when they weren't so backed up, turns out my battery was dead! I had trailered it home, replaced the battery then had to trailer it back for them to replace the ring antenae that it went there for in the first place. I have been doing most stuff myself, but when it comes to the actual computer diagnostics, there is no way to do them at home.

I will be placing a quantity oil filter order online and will continue to research oils so that I'm not paying $13 a quart. I truly believe we nee to support our local dealers, but I refuse to pay $65 to change my oil.

Amsoil

I also went to Amsoil 20W-50 motorcycle oil last oil change. It shifts much smoother with Amsoil than the BMW/Castrol oil.

Hal

I also went to Amsoil 20W-50 motorcycle oil last oil change. It shifts much smoother with Amsoil than the BMW/Castrol oil.

Hal

Keep in mind that BMW recommended against 20W for the new transverse 4 cyl engines. They taught no 20W in school and do not recommend it in the owners manual or tech dvd. I think 15W and 10W were recommended and now 5W.

I used to use Mobil 1 15w-50 in my older K, but it has a lot of moly so I don't use it in my GT with wet clutch. Last year I found Mobil 1 MX4T 10w-40 (on sale for $5.95) at Advance Auto so I cleaned three stores out of it . Now I won't have to worry about oil for a few years!

Last edited:
How much?

How much will you folks spend for oil? I gave up a few years ago on synthetics, as the prices chased me away to use regular oils again. M/C regular oils are running around 3.85 here. At those HIGH prices, you should be running 20k+ on change intervals, imo. Randy:thumb

How much will you folks spend for oil? I gave up a few years ago on synthetics, as the prices chased me away to use regular oils again. M/C regular oils are running around 3.85 here. At those HIGH prices, you should be running 20k+ on change intervals, imo. Randy:thumb

6K mile changes are about right. We in the USA are used to artificially low oil and gas prices. Get used to it.

I will;

I will go much further on my oil if I ever pay 10$+ a quart ever again, as 3000 mile changes are a thing in my past, if so. Today, I still have my under 4$ oil and still do the 3000 mile thing:). Happy Trails, Randy:thumb :usa

Back