Thread: OIl Pressure

OIl Pressure

I've got a 78 - 100/7. Sat for 14 years. Started it today and I have 90/100/psi oil pressure. I think it's the pressure relief valve. Can this be removed and checked? How? Thanks

TGHSMITH
    look for a ball trapped behind a threaded fitting living behind the oil filter, anton's pages show a picture of this, movement in the ball can be tested with a non-marring rod, were your readings on a cold engine or up at operating temp..http://www.largiader.com/

oil pressure

The engine was cold. I checked the ball behind the filter, it moves.

90/100 seems in the ball park for cold oil right after start up.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

TGHSMITH
    that pressure may not be to high on a cold engine, you might let it get up to a warmer temp and see if the presure drops, one good reason not to rev-up a cold engine....hard to find what the specs for o/p should be,30 at idle and 50 -70 running is some of the figures I,ve located, have my old bmw shop manual at home and will see if its in there(then convert it to psi from bar)

My BMW shop manual for a /7 indicates that the safety valve opening pressure is 71 psi. The low pressure light should come on somewhere between 3 and 7 psi.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

oil pressure

Oil is being pushed out around the bass gaskets, valve covers and oil pan. Any other ideas ?

seniorasi
    Quote Originally Posted by 20616 View Post
    Oil is being pushed out around the bass gaskets, valve covers and oil pan. Any other ideas ?
    Call Anton

Quote Originally Posted by 20616 View Post
    What type of oil are we talking about? These kinds of leaks don't point to high oil pressure. They tend to suggest that you've gone from dino oil to synthetic. And/or, as you stated in the first post, that these particular seals have dried up. The bike sat for 14 years as you said.

The base gasket (there might not actually be gaskets there) leaks maybe be from the fact that the heads need to be properly torqued. If they're not to the proper torque, then it will be easier for the oil to leak.

But the valve cover and oil pan leaks smack of leaks to dried up gaskets, either dino or synthetic oil.

The oil pressure(s) you cite are normal in a cold engine. The valve at the back of the filter cannister is a by-pass for a clogged filter. The oil presure relief valve is at the top of the front main bearing carrier. Your oil pressure isn't causing any leaks-you're just seeing the standard leaks in these motors. They're all repairable. What may be exacerbating your leaks is poor ring sealing, something also common in iron-bore twins.