• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stay Away From Deal's Gap

Squid is a slang term used to describe an irresponsible motorcyclist. . . . . When accompanied by a pool of blood this idea becomes more graphically linked.

Wow.
Thanks for definitive definitions of "Squid"!

I was told that it is because after having an accident on the road a squid (an irresponsible rider) can look like a squid (a shapeless mass of tissue) lying on the pavement.

The Dragon is 11 miles long and even though the speed limit ( correct me if I'm wrong) is generally around 35mph through there and assuming you ride close the speed limit, the whole thing is over in less than 20 minutes.

The road surface is close to excellent meaning very smooth and well marked with no tar snakes. It's fun and certainly pretty, but not sure I'd ride across the country again for a 20 minute thrill. I had no problem riding it while keeping a moderate pace along with a whole lot of respect for it knowing of all the horror stories. I came away thinking it was more of a right of passage for the cruiser crowd.

Oddly enough, the next day after riding the Dragon and the Blue Ridge Parkway going north I hopped off near Boone, NC and rode Hwy 421 to Bristol, TN. I found many parts of 421 far more challenging and would put that on the wish list of a wild and crazy road since it's not far from the rally for a day ride. It left such an impression on me, I never forgot the number.

Last edited:
Rode Hwy 421 to Bristol, TN. I found many parts of 421 far more challenging and would put that on the wish list of a wild and crazy road since it's not far from the rally for a day ride. It left such an impression on me, I never forgot the number.

Thanks -- I've added that to the list of must-ride roads for my next trip!

I have been "on the Dragon" a number of times and every time, no matter the day or what I was thinking I would be in an accident due to the crazyness going on there! Too much crossing the yellow line for this guy! Ride the many other scenic and twisty roads in that whole general area.

Robert Davis (Webmost) and I were discussing the Dragon last week and compared it to our favorite ride. We decided the biggest difference is that the Hayters Gap ride is better but the biggest difference is it doesn't have a T-shirt, squids or LEOs. It is only a 50 mile interstate ride from the Rally. Get off I-81 onto Rt 80 at the Meadowview exit. You will meander 10 miles through the country to Hayters Gap. The next 8 miles have hundreds of curves on a very smooth road with sharp turns and no guardrails.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/rally09/great_rides_from_the_2009_bmw_moa_rally

Last edited:
Ride the Gap on Monday through Thursday. Friday, Sat, and Sunday are for the idiots/rookies/squids. Also, fewer LEOs Mon-Thur.

It is much like a visit to a ski area. Go, if possible on weekdays, as the weekends, depending on the area, are very busy. The same logic would apply to most vacation resorts. Weekdays rule!

Sort of sounds like independence pass or trail ridge road or beartooth pass on any given weekend.

at least on the dragon... you have a full two lanes in each direction... on Independence pass you have to deal with the two sections of one lane road along cliff faces... and pedal bikers hauling arse down hill (Up Hill traffic has legal right away in Colorado by state law) around the blind corners...

at least on the dragon... you have a full two lanes in each direction... on Independence pass you have to deal with the two sections of one lane road along cliff faces... and pedal bikers hauling arse down hill (Up Hill traffic has legal right away in Colorado by state law) around the blind corners...

yea, but I am here to say independence is more fun than a bucket of monkeys nomatter which day you choose to go! My guess is so's the Dragon!

11 miles? hahaha, that's barely enogh to wet your lips!

My brother came out from Denver to ride the dragon with that same thought. After riding the paved pig trails we call roads he went home with a little more respect for our "little" Smokey Mtns. Like most posters have said Stay off the Dragon on the weekends. And with school being out for the summer, I'd be real careful during the week also. Here's a link to Deals Gap. They try to post what's happening on the Dragon that week. http://www.dealsgap.com/

Last edited:
Dragon

The Dragon is a great ride for going on to other great twisties in the area. I went through there a month or so ago without any problems, no semi's (they can't even fit or allowed on the road), no trucks W/boats... After the Dragon we spent the whole day exploring down into Georgia then back up to the Smoky's.
Ya... stay away on the weekends, or go early in the morning before the cartoons end.

Attachments

• DG13.jpg
    DG13.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 230
Trucks on the Dragon

Before riding the Dragon I recommend watching the YouTube clips of semis on this stretch of road. I have read that because the Dragon is part of a national highway (US 129) it cannot be closed to trucks. As you will see, trucks and bikes don't mix well on this twisty road. I recommend the Cherohala Skyway, Blue Ridge Parkway or any of the mountain roads in North Georgia for your twisty fix without so much traffic.

DP

Trucks on Independence Pass are also there 24/7

As example, Independence pass will take anything that will go down the road, is a major connecting highway to Aspen Colorado, AND (most importantly) remains fun, fun fun any day of the week!

As I suspect the Dragon will be fun, fun, fun if you use a little care and caution, and know how to execute repeated turns in a verticle atmosphere!

IMHO for what it's worth!

I rode the dragon about 15 minutes after a semi went through. It was nice because most people were waiting far longer for him to get through, so we didn't have traffic trying to push us. We caught up to him, but it was at the end when most of the curves were over.

I actually enjoyed riding Route 28 TO the Dragon better than the Dragon itself. Traffic was lighter, too. Just watch for the two turns a few miles before you get to the intersection with 129 which are posted at 25mph (possibly 15?) - they mean it.

Colorado mountain passes, the Dragon and such.

As example, Independence pass will take anything that will go down the road, is a major connecting highway to Aspen Colorado, AND (most importantly) remains fun, fun fun any day of the week!

As I suspect the Dragon will be fun, fun, fun if you use a little care and caution, and know how to execute repeated turns in a verticle atmosphere!

IMHO for what it's worth!

I lived in Colorado many years and have been over most, if not all the passes there, not all of which are paved. Independence is sure enough hairy. Weekends can be "crowded". Luckily it is closed winters. All those high steep passes are challenging; Hoosier; Lizard Head: Wolf Creek; Blanco; Monarch to name a few. "Rider Beware".I have not ridden the Dragon. If the possibility should arise it will be on a weekday and it will not be full out. That is for the track. Seems for some the Dragon is "the track", but carries a lot of risk when ridden that way.

Haha, best comment ever.

Agreed!!!

That little comment had me rolling on the floor! Good one!

And as far as all this 'negative publicity' on The Dragon............keep it coming.

This will be my fourth year in a row tearing up HWY 129, aka "The Dragon," and though I will miss all of you, I will enjoy the thinner traffic while I'm having a ball!

I mean..............Bad road........bad, bad stretch of road. Everyone should stay away. Big trucks, snakes, earthquake damage, ruts, unspeakable chaos, etc. :dance

Last edited:
What's the big deal? (Get it? Big Deal!)

Not to be a wet blanket, but from looking at photos, Deals Gap looks little different from any of hundreds of long and twisty mountain/hill/canyon roads that exist in the west and no doubt in many other parts of the country, yet every m/c site I visit talks of the Dragon while other twisty roads get little mention.

What's the big deal? (Apologies in advance re. the lowest form of humor.) Is it the quality of pavement? I can't imagine it's the atmosphere, which to me would be a huge detriment. Not knocking it, 'cause I've never been. Just wondering.

What sets the Dragon apart from the others is that there are no intersecting driveways or roads along its length.

I have ridden the Tennessee Snake, Hwy 421. Although not as technically challenging as the Dragon, it is a great ride.

Back