• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

G

gt13rider

Hi, I went and did it. I just bought a k1300gt. phenomenal bike. no dislikes after 1000 local miles. No touring yet, but I did meet up with the local chapter at their sunday breakfast. I met Dick Hautau (ambassador#1), he introduced me to some other members and we had a nice talk.I look forward to doing some touring, I have to go to uniontown PA for a graduation in june and plan on riding the gt there. I'll let you know how it went. I do have one question....... how do you get the sidewall scuffed so you can safely lean into a sharp turn at a "fun" speed without the bike sliding out from under you? I went into a turn at about 800 miles on the bike. I thought the tires were pretty much broken in, found some twisties and went into a nice lean (not peg scapping) at about 30mph and the bike slid about six inches or so, not a big deal, I just adjusted my lean angle, but now I am alittle scittish about twisties. I know the bike is capable of it, I am confident in my skill, just wondering about the tires> any thoughts??:bikes

Welcome Aboard Gt13rideG

Welcome Aboard!

Not sure what to say about those tires but I'm sure a knowledgeable GT rider will come along. I have sat on that bikes and it is quite the machine.

Just about everything you want to know about BMW Motorcycles can be found on the forum. When you are looking for a topic or need a question answered the site's search engine is invaluable. There are two search buttons on the Forum. I have the best luck with the one located between New Posts and Quick Links.

The forum can sometimes seem frenzied and keeping up with it all is like try to catch popcorn out of the popper with a catcher's mitt. So, if you have a specific question about the forum or touring please send me an email or a personal message. Both are accessible by clicking on my forum name, PAULBACH.

Best,

Paul
Forum Ambassador

Hi, I went and did it. I just bought a k1300gt. phenomenal bike. no dislikes after 1000 local miles. No touring yet, but I did meet up with the local chapter at their sunday breakfast. I met Dick Hautau (ambassador#1), he introduced me to some other members and we had a nice talk.I look forward to doing some touring, I have to go to uniontown PA for a graduation in june and plan on riding the gt there. I'll let you know how it went. I do have one question....... how do you get the sidewall scuffed so you can safely lean into a sharp turn at a "fun" speed without the bike sliding out from under you? I went into a turn at about 800 miles on the bike. I thought the tires were pretty much broken in, found some twisties and went into a nice lean (not peg scapping) at about 30mph and the bike slid about six inches or so, not a big deal, I just adjusted my lean angle, but now I am alittle scittish about twisties. I know the bike is capable of it, I am confident in my skill, just wondering about the tires> any thoughts??:bikes

Welcome, cool bike. Hopefully you can post a ride report or two as you put the miles on.

As far as scuffing in the tires, you have to slowly increase how far you lean it over so you are never completely on virgin rubber. Just build up slowly with your angles and they will scuff in. Might take a few weeks depending on how much twisty road riding you are able to do so just be patient and stay in your comfort zone.

The K bike wedge forum should have some info for you on your bik, it's abilities, and what's available for farkles. You can post a picture of your ride too.

If you are able, try to make the Rally in Tennessee this summer, looks like it is going to be awesome!

If you have any other questions, suggestions, or comments, let us know and once again, welcome.

Thanx for the welcome! just getting ready to head to the cabin, sadly in my van. I will check for replies when I get home tommorrow night. I did own a 99 lt but never felt the need to get aggressive in the corners. with this bike, it's like it wispers in my ear, come on let's do it , I want to have fun!! I've owned in the past a moto guzzi cal special, suzuki madura, suzuki cavalcade (full touring) and the lt.

Help with the tires

Try this trick out

Put the bike up on the center stand in the driveway and get out the hose. Now is a good time to wash your baby, right?
Get a bucket with a little bit of warm water and some ammonia. Take a very stiff bristle brush and dip the brush into the ammonia, then scrub the tires with it. Go around each tire two or three times, dipping generously into the ammonia / water and then rinse well. Ideally, that will "dissolve" the mold-release compounds in the rubber.
After you've done that and the bike and tires dry, you might also go one more step and take a wire brush to the side areas of the tread and scuff them up a little. Between these two steps, you would probably be ready to go out and have a little fun in the twisties!!

Jay Yambrovich aka Papayams

Thanx Jay, I'll try that. having it slide out from under me like that was a interesting sensation.

Back