Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Original Tires

  1. #1
    Elvis13
    Guest

    Question Original Tires

    Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,
    I am new to the websight and the BMW OA, I have a 1975 R90/6 and was wondering what brand of tires came on these bikes from the factory? No big deal I was just curious as I restore my bike, I would like it to have the same brand of tires it came with from Germany. Many thanks in advance.

    Elvis

  2. #2
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    20,449
    Most likely Continentals, RB2 and K112.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  3. #3
    Still available if you want 1970 tire technology.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  4. #4
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,324
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Still available if you want 1970 tire technology.
    IMHO, the Conti's of that day were sub-standard even in the 70's. I hated them.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Foundation Secretary, Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,663
    if you gave me a set of those Contis, even brand new, you could expect to see them used as planters around the yard.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  6. #6
    Elvis13
    Guest
    I don't want 70's techno, , I had just thought I would put on a proper tire but if conti's are that bad i will forgo using them and just be a little off on the resto. THank you all for your info and insight.

    BTW, What do you all suggest?

  7. #7
    shire2000
    Guest
    You might want to check further. A lot of BMWs of that era came with Metzlers. I know that almost all /7s from 1978 on came with them.

  8. #8
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis13 View Post
    I don't want 70's techno, , I had just thought I would put on a proper tire but if conti's are that bad i will forgo using them and just be a little off on the resto. THank you all for your info and insight.

    BTW, What do you all suggest?
    If you are going to ride the bike, then maybe you should look at Avon Roadriders. Modern tire design getting some pretty good reports - and available in the original "inch" sizes so you don't have to make the conversion to metric sizes like with Michelin and Metzeler (which are also good tires).

    http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcyc...=showtyre&id=6
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Foundation Secretary, Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  9. #9
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    20,449
    Quote Originally Posted by shire2000 View Post
    You might want to check further. A lot of BMWs of that era came with Metzlers. I know that almost all /7s from 1978 on came with them.
    My /7 came with Contis on it, although I was second owner and it had 13K miles on it.

    Check this sales brochure out from 1975...I can see at least two different tires in the pictures. The main picture up front looks very much like Continentals.

    http://www.beemergarage.com/documents/bmw1975.pdf

    The tires in this 1977 brochure also appear to be Continentals.

    http://www.beemergarage.com/documents/bmw1977.pdf

    I did find a service bulletin dated October 1980 which indicates that Metzler was an approved tire. I starts out by saying "In addition to the previously approved tires of the Michelin Tire Co. (see S.I. No. 36 007 78 (079R)...". This S.I. spoke specifically about winter tires, though, for use in winter months and off-road situations. The October bulletin goes on to say due to the width of these new approved tires, the /6 and /7 bikes should have the wider fork braces installed.

    This doesn't necessarily prove anything, just that this was most likely the most common tire, based upon the photos. The original post was about a '75 model as to what came with it originally. I get the impression that the Metzler tire was added as an approved tire somewhat after the fact.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,663
    Quote Originally Posted by shire2000 View Post
    I know that almost all /7s from 1978 on came with them.
    i know that 100% (that would be "both of them") of the '78s that i owned back then came with Contis from the dealer. Still does not make them a good option.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  11. #11
    rbleau
    Guest

    Contis

    Clever me - I bought new Contis for the authentic look....hard rubber, poor grip, expensive, scary on polished concrete in a slow right hand turn...for example. Next time, Bridgestone Spitfires.

  12. #12
    On the road again! R80RTJohnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    My /7 came with Contis on it, although I was second owner and it had 13K miles on it.

    Check this sales brochure out from 1975...I can see at least two different tires in the pictures. The main picture up front looks very much like Continentals.

    http://www.beemergarage.com/documents/bmw1975.pdf

    The tires in this 1977 brochure also appear to be Continentals.

    http://www.beemergarage.com/documents/bmw1977.pdf

    I did find a service bulletin dated October 1980 which indicates that Metzler was an approved tire. I starts out by saying "In addition to the previously approved tires of the Michelin Tire Co. (see S.I. No. 36 007 78 (079R)...". This S.I. spoke specifically about winter tires, though, for use in winter months and off-road situations. The October bulletin goes on to say due to the width of these new approved tires, the /6 and /7 bikes should have the wider fork braces installed.

    This doesn't necessarily prove anything, just that this was most likely the most common tire, based upon the photos. The original post was about a '75 model as to what came with it originally. I get the impression that the Metzler tire was added as an approved tire somewhat after the fact.
    Great post. Very nice of you to include those superb links.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

    Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

  13. #13
    orbitangel
    Guest

    Thumbs down Conti "Twins"

    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis13 View Post
    Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,
    I am new to the websight and the BMW OA, I have a 1975 R90/6 and was wondering what brand of tires came on these bikes from the factory? No big deal I was just curious as I restore my bike, I would like it to have the same brand of tires it came with from Germany. Many thanks in advance.

    Elvis
    Elvis - I will have to second the predominant emotion you have already heard several times. The Conti "Twins" (K112/RB2) were crap thirty years ago and they are crap today. There are many good "modern" tire options nowadays.

    You wrote: "I would like it to have the same brand of tires it came with from Germany."

    I just bought a set for a customer who wanted "original." The new ones I ordered have the reassuring words "Made in Korea" molded into the sidewalls. They run about three hundred bucks for the pair.

    If all you care about is an "original look" go ahead and get the Contis.

    If you care about traction and handling, look elsewhere.

    I have ridden over 100K miles on Conti "Twins." (Mostly, 30 years ago.)

    If somebody handed me a brand-new pair of these tires I'd make them into two nice rope swings.

    There are a LOT of tire posts in this forum. Do your homework.

    Good luck!

  14. #14
    Brett
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Altoona pa
    Posts
    363
    I agree with looking at the Avon's. I got a set from southwest moto tires .com for my 1970 /5 WOW, old looking tires with new tire technology and they make this bike so much more fun to ride. The only thing is that you need to tell them you want current tires. My ties had to have been in storage for a while and the front spider webbed on the sides the first year. I never complained and I still ride on it but should replace it again and I will definatly use these tires again. Not a bust on SWMoto I have received 30-40 tires from them all without problems and I'm sure if I brought this to there attention they would have made it right.

    Brett Endress
    Altoona Pa

  15. #15
    Registered User amiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Murrells Inlet, S. C.
    Posts
    884
    My /6 came from the factory with Metzlers. Today, the variety of tires in 3.25 x 19 and 4.00 x18 are getting pretty slim. Metric "equivalent" sizes are more prolific, but are not quite the same profile, in fact tires from different manufacturers often have different profiles within the same indicated size.

    Conti and Michillin both sell the "proper" size as above. Other brands are avaliable in the metric equivalent. I must be a terrible rider because I have tried several and have really just noted mileage as the most notable difference.

    Reportedly in Europe a wider variety of our size tires are available. I have no personal knowledge of the truth of this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •