• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

trip mileage reset SPINS

C

cptss67

When I got my 96RT a couple months ago, the trip mileage reset was stiff and hard to work.
Now, something broke, and it all it will do is helplessly spin.

I'm guessing just getting to it will be more tupperware removal than might be worth it - and then don't have a clue what might be involved to fix it.

I like to use it and will miss it if I can't fix it.

When I got my 96RT a couple months ago, the trip mileage reset was stiff and hard to work.
Now, something broke, and it all it will do is helplessly spin.

I'm guessing just getting to it will be more tupperware removal than might be worth it - and then don't have a clue what might be involved to fix it.

I like to use it and will miss it if I can't fix it.

What helplessly spins, the knob or the mileage meter? I could not get my mileage meter to move at all, I had to replace the cable between the knob and mileage meter connection, tried to lube it but it would not work, cost me about 35 bucks if I remember right.

Good luck

knob spins

It is the knob itself that spins - the mileage still racks up.

Replacing the cable makes sense as a repair. The question is: How much of the 'dashboard' do you have to dismantle to get to it?

I think you can get a replacement knob, sounds like that's what you broke. The bad news is that you have to pull ALL... the tupperware and the dash panel. It will take you a couple of hours. Pick a rainy day or wait till winter.

Back